Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 20:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos

Such recalls have been done earlier in TATA vehicles although they didnt use the word "recall" then, needs no more attention than a regular part replacement due to QC/ longevity issue.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 21:42   #17
BHPian

Last week, 22 dec 2011, TATA has done the updation work on my Nano LX 2010 March model at RF Motors Kochi. The car had covered more than 23,000 kms without any major problem. Tata has changed the starter motor. The bill shows that the cost of the starter motor is more than 7k. Of course, it is done free by Tata ! Glad to see that tata is well taking care of the existing customers.

But, if tata want to improve sales, the service centre quality needs to be improved. Also, I think, Only the rear opening feature can really boost the sales of Nano. This feature is missing even in 2012 version !!! Suprised to see how Tata missed such an important aspect.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good move, regardless of how the public views the recalls. Better to resolve the issue now than to get more negative publicity (in the hundreds) of failed starter motors.

Good to see Tata's commitment to the owners of even the cheapest car in the world. Cheers Tata!
Old 26th December 2011, 22:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Unfortunately, we have a few technical experts & people [general public] forms negative impression on "recalls" that makes it tough for novice to take decision and its mostly against Indian Auto Manufacturers.

Lets think more matured before making such a comment please.
Totally agree. I met a Nano owner this evening and made small talk about the recall news. He was lamenting almost like this: "damn! you see, I need to drive this car all the way to Trivandrum for this. They didn't tested the car properly and now I am suffering..." etc.

FYI, our town is roughly 50 km north of Trivandrum, which has 2 Tata dealers.
Old 26th December 2011, 22:44   #20
BHPian

My close friend has a Nano and he mentioned that he never had any issues prior to the recall. Once the new starter motor is fixed as part of recall he is facing starting issues. Any body else is facing this issue post the recall?
Old 26th December 2011, 23:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
My close friend has a Nano and he mentioned that he never had any issues prior to the recall. Once the new starter motor is fixed as part of recall he is facing starting issues. Any body else is facing this issue post the recall?
What starting issues is your friend facing? Starting issues may or may not be related to the motor. And then there is the ASC itself, which could have messed something else up while replacing the motor
Old 27th December 2011, 07:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Wasn't the starter motor replaced for a bunch of Nanos replaced earlier too?
From what I read in the Hindu today, around 50,000 car's already had their started motor replaced, the 1+ lakh figure I guess comes on top of that
Old 27th December 2011, 08:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
What starting issues is your friend facing? Starting issues may or may not be related to the motor. And then there is the ASC itself, which could have messed something else up while replacing the motor
While starting the starter motor makes a small whining sound. Once you crank five to six times we could hear the starter motor working and car starts.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:21   #24
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a really mature move. They could have gone ahead and made the changes without making a recall announcement but it is even better that they decided to bite the bullet and announce it offically.

Am sure the starter motor has nothing to do with the initial fires and this is just to improve reliability. Again since this is not a part that one makes internally it is really a case of a leading branded supplier goofing up. Yep one checks for life of components from suppliers and this one obviously got missed out in the checks.

I guess the motors were possibly going to fail in a large % of cars before the warranty period ran out so it probably made better financial sense as well and helps in managing the customer as well better. Am sure that most buyers would feel assured that the company is updating the car so that past/initial/first buyers do not suffer and get the advantages of improvements as they happen. That would take the sting out of perceptions that buying the initial lot of TATA cars is not a good idea as customers would not mind doing it as long as they are assured of benifits of all improvements being passed on.

During a one-on-one feedback session (Post purchase of Aria) with a Sr. Team from TATA this was exactly what I had advocated that the first lot of buyers must be supported in such a way that they do not feel short changed with improvement coming in so that customers dont wait for V2.

Last edited by ACM : 27th December 2011 at 11:22.
Old 27th December 2011, 11:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Have been using the Nano for about 500 kms now and I have had no issues so far. The car has done 4050 kms so far in about a year. The engine seems to be running smoother than it was initially. Due for a service next week. Loose door trim is the only issue I have so far. Probably the starter motor will be replaced then.

My friends who were vary of the car (at least 3 of them) seem to like it now. All of them are amazed at the amount of space inside. I have had casual acquaintances walk up and ask to look inside.
Old 27th December 2011, 14:41   #26
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Yes, I am facing same situation with my Nano. The starter motor was replaced when I gave my car for RETRO kit upgrade. Since then,if I insert the key and crank it immediately, I can hear the whine of the starter motor. However, if I wait for two seconds at Acc on position and then crank it starts without any noise (of the motor ofcourse). But I still feel that there may be some problem with the new one.
Old 27th December 2011, 15:03   #27
BHPian

Welcome move by Tata.

Great to see Tata recalling such low margin car for upgrade. I heard that 2012 upgrades would slowly make its way to exisiting cars. It really shows commitment.

*Thumbs Up*
Old 27th December 2011, 16:34   #28
BHPian

To my query whether those cars that had their starter motors replaced in October/November 2011 this is what Tata Nano has replied on the FB Fans Page

"The upgrade is available for cars in which the motor has been changed before September 2011. However you can confirm the same by sending your details to the local authorized dealer. If the starter motor was changed post September 2011, you need not have it changed again"

My attempt to contact the Service Centre have not succeeded so far!
Old 27th December 2011, 16:44   #29
BHPian

I don't think the heading of this topic is correct.
As per the below press release mailer from Tata Motors, its only a replacement activity and not a re call IMHO.

"Tata Motors upgrading old Nanos with new starter motor[ 27th Dec 2011 ]Tata Motors is upgrading old Tata Nanos, produced up to mid-September 2011, with a new starter motor to enhance their performance. This is in line with the company''s practice of upgrading its vehicles; on the Nano itself, the company had upgraded the exhaust and the electrical system in November 2010, as was announced then.

The installation of the new starter motor, which is a vendor supplied part, began in October this year. Owners of all old Nanos were informed about the exercise, and about 50,000 cars have already been done. There are about 65,000 owners who are yet to visit their dealerships and the company is in continuous contact with them.

This new starter motor is already installed in the Nano 2012, which was introduced in November this year with a host of new features, of new colours, new interiors, best-in-class AC, a more powerful gasoline engine and even greater fuel efficiency of 25.4 kmpl, further improving on its record as India''s most fuel efficient petrol car - all at the same price as before.

Making the Tata Nano even more desirable, the car''s 624cc engine has been made more powerful delivering an impressive 38PS of power (earlier 35 PS) and 51Nm of torque (earlier 48 Nm). Yet fuel efficiency, already a high point with Tata Nano owners, has been taken to a new high of 25.4 kmpl (earlier 23.6 kmpl). The ride and handling, also already highly appreciated by existing owners, now has become even better with a revised suspension set-up, including an anti-roll bar at the front, and a steering mechanism made even easier. The interiors are completely new with enhanced premiumness in look and feel - luxurious beige in the Nano LX, rich black in the Nano CX and stunning medium graphite in the Standard version. The exteriors are now a veritable vibgyor of 10 colours, eight of them new. All the variants come with an unmatched warranty of 4 years or 60,000 kms, whichever is earlier.

Tata Motors'' customer satisfaction studies with Nano owners indicate that over 90% are delighted with the car, because of it being small yet spacious, its performance, maneuverability, durability, mileage, safety etc. The surveys also demonstrate that the owners deeply treasure their Nanos, resulting in spontaneous suggestions of improvements. Several new features in the Nano 2012 are such insights from the owners.

Tata Motors will continue to add new features to the Nano, even as marketing initiatives, expansion of distribution network and good customer response to the Nano is resulting in a progressive increase in the car''s sales. "
Old 27th December 2011, 20:38   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I welcome every recall with open arms. Sure, in the ideal world, everyone would build a perfect product. In the real world, however, manufacturing lakhs of complex cars can result in defects. If the manufacturer acknowledges them and issues a repair / replacement at their OWN cost, what's the harm? If anything, it's a brave (expensive) step taken by the manufacturer to ensure a defect-free product.

I honestly fail to understand:

- Why recalls should be viewed negatively by the masses? Is it that one would prefer the manufacturer to keep mum and let its customers suffer with a defective product?

- Why Tata is allergic to the word "recall" when it is so obviously one! Remember the last Nano upgrade that ended up being known as a recall anyways

I wish Mercedes had run recalls on the wretched C platform & offered us owners with defect-free air con evaporators, compressors, engine mounts etc. Trust me, I'd respect Mercedes a lot more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks