Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Shared engines across brands/models

*sorry if this has been started before, i could not find it.
**i hope this is the correct place to start the thread.

so i know a lot of engines are shared between makes/models (indian context), albeit tuned differently.
the few i know of are ;-

Chevrolet Cruz & Chevrolet Captiva

Skoda Rapid & Volkswagen Vento

Honda Accord & Honda CR-V.

Skoda Laura(diesel), Skoda Superb(Diesel), Volkswagen JEtta, Volkswagen Passat, VolkswageTiguan (i guess) and the upcoming Audi Q3.

Renault Koleos, Renault Fluence & Nissan X-trail

of course the fiat diesel across Tata, various Marutis and Fiat themselves.

Maruti Wagon-R and Maruti Alto (k series)

which other cars available in india use the same engines?
Old 27th December 2011, 20:57   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Shared engines across brands/models

There's hardly a manufacturer who won't share engines, parts or even platforms (e.g. BMW 5 & 7 series) across the model range. One "exceptional" brand here is Mitsubishi; no engines shared between the Lancer, Cedia, Pajero, Outlander & Montero.

The most "shared" engine in India is undoubtedly the Fiat 1.3 MJD. Not for nothing is it called the national engine. The Swift, Dzire, SX4, Manza, Indica, Linea, Punto et al are powered by the MJD. A derivative of the same engine can also be found under the hood of the Chevrolet Beat.

Audi, Skoda & the VW group share lots of petrol (including TSIs) & diesel engines between them.

BMW : You'll see 4 & 6 cylinders shared between the 3, 5, 7 and even the SUVs. Ditto for Mercedes and its C, E & S Class.

Chevrolet : The Captiva, Cruze & Optra all have the same 2.0 liter turbo diesel.

Force Motors uses Merc's 2.2 liter diesel in the Force One.

The Ford Figo & Fiesta share that 1.4 TDCi diesel and, hopefully, the 1.6 soon

HM Ambassador & Contessa used the wonderful 1.8 L petrol & slow 2.0 diesel for ages.

Honda : Brio & Jazz are powered by the 1.2L petrol, while the Accord & CRV use the familiar 2.4L petrol.

Hyundai : Segment-leading 1.2L is common to the i10 & i20, while the 1.1 is found in the Santro & i10. The i20's diesel also finds its way to the Fluidic Verna.

Mahindra : MHawk engine used on the Scorpio & XUV500 (soon, Xylo too). The 2.5L mill is seen on the Thar, Bolero & Xylo. The Logan uses the same diesel that Nissan / Renault do in the Micra, Sunny & Fluence. While on Nissan, the X-Trail & Koleos are powered by an identically-tuned diesel.

Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz. 796 cc motor used in the Alto, Omni & Maruti 800. The WagonR & A-Star have that 3 cylinder 1.0 L petrol. The Gypsy & the Esteem shared a 1.3L petrol engine for a decade!

Tata, like Mahindra, uses the awesome 2.2 L in the Safari, Sumo & Aria. Fiat's 1.4L petrol is shared between the Vista & Manza.

Toyota powers the Etios, Liva & Altis' with the 1.4L (Altis gets VGT though). The Fortuner & twice-as-expensive Prado share the same 3.0 L mill!

That's it off the back of my head. I'm sure there will be plenty more to add to the list from other BHPians.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 22:08   #3
BHPian

@ Caprico4: all companies do engine sharing as well as other parts sharing internationally as well. It's not only in India. Toyota shares its engine with Lexus and Scion, Honda shared engine with Acura and so on. Ford shares with Lincoln and some other brands as well.

@ GTO, you got most of them covered. Nice compiled list.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 27th December 2011 at 22:10.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz. 796 cc motor used in the Alto, Omni & Maruti 800. The WagonR & A-Star have that 3 cylinder 1.0 L petrol. The Gypsy & the Esteem shared a 1.3L petrol engine for a decade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post

@ GTO, you got most of them covered. Nice compiled list.
In the slightly older generation and within the same brand, Maruti used the highly successful 1.3L Aluminum engine on the Gypsy, Swift, Dzire, Versa and of course the esteem. As also the 1.0 l carb engine on the Gypsy and the M-1000, maybe even the Zen (someone correct me here please).

Last edited by esteem_lover : 27th December 2011 at 22:45.
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 22:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

As also the 1.0 l carb engine on the Gypsy and the M-1000, maybe even the Zen (someone correct me here please).
AFAIK, M-1000 and Zen never shared same engine. Zen was 900 some cc all aluminum block producing around 50 bhp where as M-1000 and Gypsy was an old school iron block producing just 45 bhp. M-1000 got a new 1.3 l all aluminum engine in form of esteem.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 00:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
AFAIK, M-1000 and Zen never shared same engine. Zen was 900 some cc all aluminum block producing around 50 bhp where as M-1000 and Gypsy was an old school iron block producing just 45 bhp. M-1000 got a new 1.3 l all aluminum engine in form of esteem.
Thanks. I think the esteem shared the Peugeot diesel with the Zen.
Old 28th December 2011, 00:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

^^ That is true. the Zen was the first Maruti small-car to be powered by a diesel-mill.

Among cars today, there is plenty of engine-sharing. While the entire VAG share the 1.8T and 2.0 engines; Maruti, Tata and Fiat share the MJD mill. There are several cars that share engines in India, and it happens all around the World.

Recently, there was some talk about BMW lending their engine/tech to Toyota.
Old 28th December 2011, 08:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The most "shared" engine in India is undoubtedly the Fiat 1.3 MJD. Not for nothing is it called the national engine. The Swift, Dzire, SX4, Manza, Indica, Linea, Punto et al are powered by the MJD. A derivative of the same engine can also be found under the hood of the Chevrolet Beat.

Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz.
Ertiga & Premier Rio soon to be added in MJD list.

If Petrol Ertiga comes with K14 then it will open whole lot of options for maruti!
- Power packed K14 Swift
- Use K14 as differentiator between Dzire & Swift 399
- Provide Eeco K14 to improve it's Fuel consumption rating.
- Possible upgrade to Gypsy as well.

Anyways Question to Gurus:
SX4 in UK offered with 135PS 2.0 DDiS. Which diesel is this?
Visit The official Suzuki UK website for all Suzuki Cars, Alto, Splash, Swift 3 door, Swift 5 door, Swift Sport, SX4, Jimny, Grand Vitara 3 door, Grand Vitara 5 door for more details.

Last edited by zalaps : 28th December 2011 at 08:39. Reason: Bold Text
Old 28th December 2011, 10:04   #9
BHPian

1.5 Ltr DCI engine on Mahindra verito (Logan) , Nissan Micra and Renault Pulse
Old 28th December 2011, 10:21   #10
BHPian

I think the the indica turbo diesel and the venture share the same 1.4TDI engine from Tata.
I think this was also used in the Indica vista TDI (does it exist now ?)
Old 29th December 2011, 09:34   #11
Team-BHP Support

The 1.6 L engine co-developed by BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroën is another example of engine sharing across multiple brands. This engine (with different tuning) find its way to different types of cars. Some examples below:
  • Hot hatchbacks/ Sports options: New BMW 1-series, Mini Cooper, Peugeot RCZ , Citroën DS3 etc.
  • Sedans: Peugeot 508
  • Cross-overs: Mini Countryman, Peugeot 3008
  • 7-seater MPVs: Peugeot 5008, Citroën C4 Grand Picasso.
We should be getting a taste of this engine with the soon-to-be launched Mini range.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:04   #12
BANNED

What is sgreat about it. In Europe there was a common engine plant for Saab, Volvo and (I think) PSA. For I know it may still be there.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 12:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

• Skoda Yeti
  • Skoda Laura
  • Skoda Superb
  • VW Jetta
  • VW Passat
  • Audi A4
  • Audi A6
  • Audi Q5

They all share the same VAG 2.0 TDI CRDI engine in three different power outputs, 170hp, 140hp and 110hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
  • Mahindra Verito(Logan)
  • Nissan Micra
  • Renault Pulse
  • Nissan Sunny
  • Renault Fluence
All these cars share the same 1.5 Litre Diesel first seen in Logan here. The last two cars in the list come with more powerful state of tune.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th December 2011 at 12:28.
Old 29th December 2011, 16:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Thanks. I think the esteem shared the Peugeot diesel with the Zen.
Yes, esteem shared the Peugeot DIESEL ENGINE. In petrol versions units were different for M1000 & GYPSY (MG410) and for ZEN (MH410)
Old 29th December 2011, 17:39   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Now the national engine is going to find its way to Premier Rio and of course the to be launched Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
The Caaarr Sunny also uses the same engine and the to be launched Duster too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks