Team-BHP - Shared engines across brands/models
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Shared engines across brands/models (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/113134-shared-engines-across-brands-models.html)

*sorry if this has been started before, i could not find it.
**i hope this is the correct place to start the thread.

so i know a lot of engines are shared between makes/models (indian context), albeit tuned differently.
the few i know of are ;-

Chevrolet Cruz & Chevrolet Captiva

Skoda Rapid & Volkswagen Vento

Honda Accord & Honda CR-V.

Skoda Laura(diesel), Skoda Superb(Diesel), Volkswagen JEtta, Volkswagen Passat, VolkswageTiguan (i guess) and the upcoming Audi Q3.

Renault Koleos, Renault Fluence & Nissan X-trail

of course the fiat diesel across Tata, various Marutis and Fiat themselves.

Maruti Wagon-R and Maruti Alto (k series)

which other cars available in india use the same engines?

There's hardly a manufacturer who won't share engines, parts or even platforms (e.g. BMW 5 & 7 series) across the model range. One "exceptional" brand here is Mitsubishi; no engines shared between the Lancer, Cedia, Pajero, Outlander & Montero.

The most "shared" engine in India is undoubtedly the Fiat 1.3 MJD. Not for nothing is it called the national engine. The Swift, Dzire, SX4, Manza, Indica, Linea, Punto et al are powered by the MJD. A derivative of the same engine can also be found under the hood of the Chevrolet Beat.

Audi, Skoda & the VW group share lots of petrol (including TSIs) & diesel engines between them.

BMW : You'll see 4 & 6 cylinders shared between the 3, 5, 7 and even the SUVs. Ditto for Mercedes and its C, E & S Class.

Chevrolet : The Captiva, Cruze & Optra all have the same 2.0 liter turbo diesel.

Force Motors uses Merc's 2.2 liter diesel in the Force One.

The Ford Figo & Fiesta share that 1.4 TDCi diesel and, hopefully, the 1.6 soon :)

HM Ambassador & Contessa used the wonderful 1.8 L petrol & slow 2.0 diesel for ages.

Honda : Brio & Jazz are powered by the 1.2L petrol, while the Accord & CRV use the familiar 2.4L petrol.

Hyundai : Segment-leading 1.2L is common to the i10 & i20, while the 1.1 is found in the Santro & i10. The i20's diesel also finds its way to the Fluidic Verna.

Mahindra : MHawk engine used on the Scorpio & XUV500 (soon, Xylo too). The 2.5L mill is seen on the Thar, Bolero & Xylo. The Logan uses the same diesel that Nissan / Renault do in the Micra, Sunny & Fluence. While on Nissan, the X-Trail & Koleos are powered by an identically-tuned diesel.

Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz. 796 cc motor used in the Alto, Omni & Maruti 800. The WagonR & A-Star have that 3 cylinder 1.0 L petrol. The Gypsy & the Esteem shared a 1.3L petrol engine for a decade!

Tata, like Mahindra, uses the awesome 2.2 L in the Safari, Sumo & Aria. Fiat's 1.4L petrol is shared between the Vista & Manza.

Toyota powers the Etios, Liva & Altis' with the 1.4L (Altis gets VGT though). The Fortuner & twice-as-expensive Prado share the same 3.0 L mill!

That's it off the back of my head. I'm sure there will be plenty more to add to the list from other BHPians.

@ Caprico4: all companies do engine sharing as well as other parts sharing internationally as well. It's not only in India. Toyota shares its engine with Lexus and Scion, Honda shared engine with Acura and so on. Ford shares with Lincoln and some other brands as well.

@ GTO, you got most of them covered. Nice compiled list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2624131)
Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz. 796 cc motor used in the Alto, Omni & Maruti 800. The WagonR & A-Star have that 3 cylinder 1.0 L petrol. The Gypsy & the Esteem shared a 1.3L petrol engine for a decade!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrous Power (Post 2624207)

@ GTO, you got most of them covered. Nice compiled list.

In the slightly older generation and within the same brand, Maruti used the highly successful 1.3L Aluminum engine on the Gypsy, Swift, Dzire, Versa and of course the esteem. As also the 1.0 l carb engine on the Gypsy and the M-1000, maybe even the Zen (someone correct me here please).

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover

As also the 1.0 l carb engine on the Gypsy and the M-1000, maybe even the Zen (someone correct me here please).

AFAIK, M-1000 and Zen never shared same engine. Zen was 900 some cc all aluminum block producing around 50 bhp where as M-1000 and Gypsy was an old school iron block producing just 45 bhp. M-1000 got a new 1.3 l all aluminum engine in form of esteem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitrous Power (Post 2624246)
AFAIK, M-1000 and Zen never shared same engine. Zen was 900 some cc all aluminum block producing around 50 bhp where as M-1000 and Gypsy was an old school iron block producing just 45 bhp. M-1000 got a new 1.3 l all aluminum engine in form of esteem.

Thanks. I think the esteem shared the Peugeot diesel with the Zen.

^^ That is true. the Zen was the first Maruti small-car to be powered by a diesel-mill.

Among cars today, there is plenty of engine-sharing. While the entire VAG share the 1.8T and 2.0 engines; Maruti, Tata and Fiat share the MJD mill. There are several cars that share engines in India, and it happens all around the World.

Recently, there was some talk about BMW lending their engine/tech to Toyota.

Quote:

The most "shared" engine in India is undoubtedly the Fiat 1.3 MJD. Not for nothing is it called the national engine. The Swift, Dzire, SX4, Manza, Indica, Linea, Punto et al are powered by the MJD. A derivative of the same engine can also be found under the hood of the Chevrolet Beat.

Maruti's 1.2 K series is used in the Swift, Dzire and Ritz.

Ertiga & Premier Rio soon to be added in MJD list.

If Petrol Ertiga comes with K14 then it will open whole lot of options for maruti!
- Power packed K14 Swift
- Use K14 as differentiator between Dzire & Swift 399
- Provide Eeco K14 to improve it's Fuel consumption rating.
- Possible upgrade to Gypsy as well.

Anyways Question to Gurus:
SX4 in UK offered with 135PS 2.0 DDiS. Which diesel is this?
Visit The official Suzuki UK website for all Suzuki Cars, Alto, Splash, Swift 3 door, Swift 5 door, Swift Sport, SX4, Jimny, Grand Vitara 3 door, Grand Vitara 5 door for more details.

1.5 Ltr DCI engine on Mahindra verito (Logan) , Nissan Micra and Renault Pulse

I think the the indica turbo diesel and the venture share the same 1.4TDI engine from Tata.
I think this was also used in the Indica vista TDI (does it exist now ?)

The 1.6 L engine co-developed by BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroën is another example of engine sharing across multiple brands. This engine (with different tuning) find its way to different types of cars. Some examples below:We should be getting a taste of this engine with the soon-to-be launched Mini range.

What is sgreat about it. In Europe there was a common engine plant for Saab, Volvo and (I think) PSA. For I know it may still be there.

They all share the same VAG 2.0 TDI CRDI engine in three different power outputs, 170hp, 140hp and 110hp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinukm (Post 2624431)

All these cars share the same 1.5 Litre Diesel first seen in Logan here. The last two cars in the list come with more powerful state of tune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 2624294)
Thanks. I think the esteem shared the Peugeot diesel with the Zen.

Yes, esteem shared the Peugeot DIESEL ENGINE. In petrol versions units were different for M1000 & GYPSY (MG410) and for ZEN (MH410)

Quote:

Now the national engine is going to find its way to Premier Rio and of course the to be launched Ertiga.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinukm (Post 2624431)

The Caaarr Sunny also uses the same engine and the to be launched Duster too.