Team-BHP - FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/113191-features-comparison-hatchbacks-price-range-rs-5-5-85l-p-6-00-6-85l-d.html)

FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85 (P) & 6.00-6.85 (D) lakhs

This thread is a continuation/progression of the following thread, where I have compared base variants of select hatchbacks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...atchbacks.html

I have broadly taken a price range (mentioned below) as the basis of the comparison. Even though prices do keep on changing, this is an exercise to apprise discerning consumers and fellow BHPians about the features available in variants of various models available in a price range, which is as follows: (ex-showroom Delhi):

1) Petrol: Between 5 & 5.85 lakhs
2) Diesel: Between 6 & 6.85 lakhs

Car Models whose Features are compared are as follows:
1) Skoda Fabia (1.2 P & D)
2) Ford Figo (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
3) Fiat Grande Punto (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
4) Hyundai i20 (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
5) Toyota Etios Liva (1.2 P / 1.4 D)
6) Nissan Micra (1.2 P / 1.5 D)
7) VW Polo (1.2 P & D)
8) Chevrolet Sail U-VA (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
9) Maruti Suzuki Swift (1.2 P / 1.3 D)
10) Tata Indica Vista (1.3 D - Two variants of 90 HP version only - Petrol variant not considered)
11) Honda Jazz (1.2 P only)

The diesel variants are taken into account on the basis of overall premium of Rs 1 lakh over and above the petrol variant. Please note that all the prices have been taken from manufacturer’s website only and therefore we are not taking into account any prevailing discounts or offers. Please note that this comparison is based solely on the criteria decided by me and it is my personal choice – rest the excel sheet mentions all facts only.

I’m considering this price range as variants in this price range generally sell the most after maybe the base variants (differs from model to model). If we consider the base variants, some people tend to prefer a smaller car with safety & other features (e.g. Beat LT with option pack has ACC, integrated music system with USB, and Airbags + ABS for under 5 & 6 lakhs for the petrol & diesel variants respectively). It can also be the other way round as mentioned in my other base variant features comparison thread, when people prefer a larger, more accomplished hatch, but with lesser features – which is in one-way or the other, an upgrade.

On the other hand if we consider higher end-variants, then the value, space, prestige and premium feel offered by a full-size sedan (not compact ones, a la Indigo eCS & Dzire) becomes more compelling and one can even get sedans with Airbags and ABS in the Rs 6-7 lakhs price range which is what the top-end variants of certain hatchbacks cost. A case in point is the Nissan Sunny petrol which starts at just around Rs 6 lakhs for the XE variant and includes features such as driver-side airbag & ABS or even the Manza which has ABS (no airbags), integrated music system with Bluetooth, in the Aura (ABS) version costing around Rs 6.5 lakhs. If one is looking for a diesel, then again the Manza with a 88 BHP engine & the same features (listed above) make a good case Rs 7.5 lakhs. It’ll be some time before the masses start considering large hatchbacks as a veritable alternative to entry-level sedans – a trend quite popular in Europe, where people and their baggage is comparatively quite less – so even two-door hatchbacks are quite common.

This features comparison is of cars in the fiercely competitive upper hatchback segment, as I feel people tend to miss/overlook these features since they either don’t know or are unable to compare due to insufficient information. Even the Sales Advisors at dealerships are also not aware of all the features of the car they are selling – like the foot level A/C vents under the front passenger seat for the rear passengers (in Fabia, G. Punto, i20). I have gone to inane lengths and included things like number of windshield washer nozzles & jets, instrument panel illumination colour, rear windows roll down fully or not, and even type of door handles (pull-type or normal) – all of these and some others might not be features per se, but I have included them to give a complete picture.

I’ve also colour-coded Unique features (purple), some Delight(ful) features (yellow) that tend to enhance the ownership experience to a small but heart-warming extent. I have also mentioned Glaring omissions (orange), which are features not present in one model but is there is all the other models being compared, or is a sort of cost-cutting measure in a certain way.

Points of note for each car compared

Skoda Fabia

After the Jazz and Vista, Fabia is the most spacious and has unique features such as open-close power windows from remote, illuminated glovebox, option to set parcel tray at two levels - thereby maximizing utilization of space. Considering the price, Automatic Climate Control (ACC), music system and safety features (Airbags & ABS) are notable omissions.

Ford Figo

The Figo has a built-to-price feel to it and it has been built in that way to an extent. But a positive outcome of this is that it is the cheapest amongst the lot, even in the highest trim i.e. Titanium. Figo has features such as Airbags & ABS plus a Bluetooth enabled music system, which even the more expensive cars in the category (Fabia & Polo) don’t have. Plus no one will complain about the space it offers – both passenger and boot. ACC (since the top variant is being compared) and rear power windows are notable omissions.

Fiat Grande Punto

The Grande Punto has recently done a variant rejig and the 2012 Dynamic variant is now fairly well loaded and now additionally gets ABS, a music system, electrically adjustable ORVMs, fog lamps, rear wash-wipe & defogger, height adjustable driver’s seat, height adjustable front seat belts, 60:40 split folding rear seats, adjustable rear headrests, auto door locking and foldable key. It has other good set of unique features such as Follow-me home headlamps, metal sheet behind the rear seat to prevent luggage intrusion and even a full metal plate protecting the engine sump. But on the other hand price has also gone up, which somewhat diminishes the value factor, considering lack of reliable sales and service and relatively poor resale value.

Hyundai i20

The i20 delights with the quality of interiors which are well-made and bright – something that will appeal to most Indians. It is also teeming with features such as ACC, electrically folding & heated ORVMs, rear parking sensors & camera with display on ORVM, rain sensing wipers, seatbelt reminder for all passengers, doors unlock on impact & a cooled glovebox. It is surprising though that no variant of i20 has even a Distance to Empty display, let alone a fuel consumption / average display.

Toyota Etios Liva

The Liva has a built-to-price feel with thin seats and integrated headrests, and the central instrument console (without a tachometer) doesn’t help the cause. Though Toyota has managed to carve out good amount of passenger space and the boot is decent at 251 litres. The massive 13 litre glovebox is cooled (even in the base variant) and is a delightful feature in an otherwise rather ordinary looking car.

I would like to make a special mention of the Liva’s engines (both petrol & diesel) which has been tuned for good drivability in the city – peak power and torque is delivered at fairly low RPMs as compared to other engines in the competition.

Nissan Micra

The keyless entry along with the push button start is the only redeeming and unique feature of the Micra in the variants crossing the Rs. 5 lakh mark. Else, the Micra is a size smaller (passenger & boot space-except Swift) and fairly light (built to price feel - similar to the Liva) as compared to the other cars in comparison.

VW Polo

The Polo is a mixed bag after the recent variant re-jig. The Comfortline variant being compared here, now has gone slightly up the value chain, with the addition of a music system, electrically adjustable ORVMs, rear wiper & demister, front fog lamps and importantly the driver-side control for rear power windows. Though it lacks safety features, ACC or USB in the music system. The value proposition is lacking in the Polo and it is not redeemed by the thrummy 3 cylinder engines on offer (both petrol & diesel). In the brochure, VW even advertises features such as halogen lights, car jack, and front disc brakes which I believe are standard in all cars.

Chevrolet Sail U-VA

The Sail U-VA is a product of GM’s partnership with SAIC (Chinese), but thankfully the built is not as cheap as one had feared. But on the flipside it is not the lowest priced of the lot (that honour goes to its American cousin, the Ford Figo). Nonetheless the Sail U-VA is fairly well-loaded with features such as Airbags, ABS and Bluetooth enabled music system. Notable omissions include MID (Distance to empty & average display) and height adjustment for driver’s seat (not present even in the top variant compared here). Also the placement of power window switches on the centre console (rather than on the front doorpads) might not be to everyone’s liking.

Maruti Suzuki Swift

The new Swift is fairly well-loaded in the ZXi/ZDi variants. Though it seems a bit on the expensive side, but just about falls in the price range, so was considered instead of the ‘V’ variants. Feature-wise the only notable omission is the Bluetooth feature and if we look at space it is still very limited at the rear (not helped by the small glass area which makes one claustrophobic), plus the boot is smallest of the lot at only 204 litres. Agreed not everyone requires boot space, but even the Eon has a bigger boot at 215 litres.

Tata Indica Vista

It is to be noted that the Vista has passenger/cabin space as its delightful feature, but since it is not a quantifiable aspect, passenger space is not included in the comparison. But the Vista does lag behind others in terms of plastic quality and A.S.S to an extent. The Vista with the 90 HP Quadrajet engine is fairly powerful but comparatively has a higher price tag. Though it is to be noted that the top-end VX version of the 75 HP variant, costs just Rs 5.74 lakhs.

Most importantly the 90 HP version has the instrument cluster located in front of the driver rather than the cenral location in the 75 HP variant, which was not to everyone's liking. This is a welcome change in addition to the Automatic Climate Control & MID borrowed from Manza. If one is willing to forgo the Airbags, Automatic Climate Control, Touchscreen music system and SAT-NAV; the VX (with ABS) variant of the 90 HP version will costs about Rs 85,000 less than the ZX+ version - which actually makes the ZX+ version seem quite decent value for money considering the amount of power & kit one gets.

Honda Jazz

The Jazz is an outside contender in this comparison as even the price of the base variant is Rs 6 lakhs, plus it comes only in petrol version. Though, Honda is to be commended for offering the base variant of the Jazz equipped with safety features such as Airbags and ABS. Honda can easily sell more units of Jazz if it comes out with a variant without these safety features – it’s a brave decision taken by Honda. The Jazz delights with its fold-up middle row of seats, cup holders cooled by AC vents; but the omission of Bluetooth & parcel tray is perplexing, and ACC is not an option even in higher variants.

Most of the information has been collated from the manufacturers’ website for their respective cars and their brochures (so it is liable to change anytime at manufacturer’s discretion). Inclusion of some models & exclusion of others are solely on my personal criteria for comparison. I’ve taken boot space also into account in the comparison, as it is a quantifiable aspect (not so in the case of passenger space – leg/knee room) and an important consideration/feature for some while buying a hatch. Also, Euro NCAP rating is mentioned in order to give an idea of the safety rating of the car as judged by western standards. It is to be noted that the safety features with which the cars have been tested (Airbags, ABS with EBD, etc) are not necessarily available in the model compared over here. But the body structure (with its impact absorbing crumple zones) and the structural/torsional rigidity remains the same across variants, so the ratings are included to give a fair idea of the amount of safety afforded to the passengers of the car.

Following are some of the other common features among all models and are therefore not entered in the comparison:

• Body-coloured bumpers
• Body coloured ORVM & door handles
• Folding rear seats
• Low fuel warning lamp
• Child lock on rear doors
• Front & rear seatbelts (lap belt for middle passenger)
• Storage pocket in front doors
• Height adjustable front headrest
• Digital clock
• D/N IRVM
• Internal boot release
• Internal fuel lid release
• Fabric insert on door trim
• Headlight beam adjuster (required by the law)
• High mounted stop lamp (required by the law)

P.S. There are some blanks (“?” in the sheet) which need to be filled – so if owners of those vehicles can pitch-in, it would be great. Please report to me any anomalies in the analysis, as owners of these models would have a better idea and even the manufacturers also sometimes inadvertently don’t give the complete information or the details are mentioned incorrectly in their communication (online / brochure). I have tried to cover all possible features, but if any have been left out owners can point it out, preferably with supporting pictures (and remember they should be of same variant compared here). Please note that we are considering only the latest variants of the respective cars, say 2012 model and not the earlier ones or the ones that are no longer produced (e.g. Old i.e. pre 2013 variants of Swift, i20, Fabia or Polo).

Click on any image to zoom-in / enlarge

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-1h.jpg

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-2h.jpg

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-3h.jpg

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-4h.jpg

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-5h.jpg

FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D)-6h.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

@jessie - That is one comprehensive comparative sheet that you have prepared. Definitely would be of immense help for new hatchback buyers clap:

Couple of points i noticed for the Vista Quadrajet. In the new Vista they have removed the Steering Adjustment and kept only one trip meter? I have the previous generation Vista which has the Tilt adjustment and has 2 trip meters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitwlele (Post 2626076)
@jessie - That is one comprehensive comparative sheet that you have prepared. Definitely would be of immense help for new hatchback buyers clap:

Couple of points i noticed for the Vista Quadrajet. In the new Vista they have removed the Steering Adjustment and kept only one trip meter? I have the previous generation Vista which has the Tilt adjustment and has 2 trip meters.

The new vista vx i tested had the steering adjustment - up & down adjustment. Didnt checked on trip meteres though.

@Jessie: A great thread and very elaborate comparison of hatchbacks. Was looking for such consolidated data, many thanks for sharing the same.

Awesome and detailed comparison charts.. Will be very very helpful for anyone interested in Hatchbacks and also to settle debates on features available in cars.

Few of points about Figo -
Figo has a boot lamp and it has 3 speeds for wipers.

Any reason for not including Ritz?

From the above list I feel that the older Vista was much better than the older one in terms of equipment. I have a lot more 'Y' than the 'N' in the above list. However the quality of stuff has been slightly improved in the new one. I am surprised that smaller details like retractable grab handles & pockets behind the front seat have been gladly omitted. Even more surprising is the omission of steering adjustment & an additional trip meter. Earlier Vista even had Tinted Glasses. Can some 1 confirm if Tata's have removed that also?
Couple of observations:
Key in the New Vista houses locking & unlocking buttons for the car
Although the side indicators of the Vista are not on the ORVM nonetheless they have been nicely put on the A-Pillar, something which is unique by itself in this segment. I prefer this since it keeps the cost of replacing the ORVM much lower.
Cup holder being cooled by the AC vent in the swift is quite flimsy, that at least has been my observation.
ARAI mileage for Swift Diesel seems too good to be true. GP, Vista & Swift all have the same diesel mill then how come such a big difference?

Neat and excellent writeup. A couple of point to add:

1. Vista VX and above have the Steering adjust option
2. Vista VX and above have the Seat Belt 3 point adjustment option and Height adjustment
3. Illuminated Glovebox on Vista is Optional
4. Lets have the Liva G/GD also included in the list.

A nice insight. Kudos buddy :thumbs up

Nice comparison chart Jessie.

This is really great for people who are on the lookout for a hatch. They get to compare most of the mainstream hatchbacks without having to browse through various websites or brochures.

Although I noticed that you have marked Airbags as "N" for the Swift ZXI/ZDI. I guess that would be incorrect.

Another thing I noticed was the NCAP rating of 5 for cars which do not have both airbags or has just the Driver Airbag. I very much doubt these variants are available in Europe and whether they were tested. The Euro NCAP ratings would be based on the variants available in Europe, which are probably better equiped.

Could you maybe add a note saying these ratings are for variants which are more equipped than what is being compared? This is just so that people are not misled to think that the variants compared here were rated high on Safety.

Very good comparison Jessie . Thanks for sharing.

Few points about i20:
Auto-locks after 40 kmph.
Power windows works after ignition is OFF (I guess its 10 seconds)

@amitwlele, @autoweirdo, @Maverick1977, @gauravdgr8, @thangu, @guyfrmblr – Thanks for the information/updates. I'll soon update my post accordingly.

@ amitwlele, @autoweirdo, @Maverick1977, @gauravdgr8 – I’ve checked Tata Vista’s website and it mentions Tilt steering adjust – and I think the site is updated as all the features mentioned are for the new Vista only with the VX, GX kind of nomenclature instead of Aqua, Aura kind. Also I noticed in the interior-view flash video that rear seat back pockets are also present. I’ve checked the same in the thread started by an owner of a Vista VX (@bigvishnu). Since it seems the seat back pockets are indeed there, I’ll have to change the unique feature for the Swift as well, which is as a matter of fact seat back pockets only.

@the_joker – I don’t think the Figo has a lamp/light in its boot/luggage area. Can you or any other Figo owner confirm it and possibly corroborate it along with a picture of the same. Also the speed of the wiper I have mentioned is 2 + Variable Intermittent, which means a High & Low + a variable speed adjustment which as per Figo’s website results in a total of 6 speeds, so I will update this as well.

@thangu – Thanks for correcting me regarding the Airbags in the Swift, that was a typo. As far as the Euro NCAP ratings are concerned, I’ve already clarified in my original post, which I’m quoting again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 2623712)
Also, Euro NCAP rating is mentioned in order to give an idea of the safety rating of the car as judged by western standards. It is to be noted that the safety features with which the cars have been tested (Airbags, ABS with EBD, etc) are not necessarily available in the model compared over here. But the body structure (with its impact absorbing crumple zones) and the structural/torsional rigidity remains the same across variants, so the ratings are included to give a fair idea of the amount of safety afforded to the passengers of the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 2626558)
@amitwlele, @autoweirdo, @Maverick1977, @gauravdgr8, @thangu, @guyfrmblr – Thanks for the information/updates. I'll soon update my post accordingly.

@ amitwlele, @autoweirdo, @Maverick1977, @gauravdgr8 – I’ve checked Tata Vista’s website and it mentions Tilt steering adjust – and I think the site is updated as all the features mentioned are for the new Vista only with the VX, GX kind of nomenclature instead of Aqua, Aura kind. Also I noticed in the interior-view flash video that rear seat back pockets are also present. I’ve checked the same in the thread started by an owner of a Vista VX (@bigvishnu). Since it seems the seat back pockets are indeed there, I’ll have to change the unique feature for the Swift as well, which is as a matter of fact seat back pockets only.

@the_joker – I don’t think the Figo has a lamp/light in its boot/luggage area. Can you or any other Figo owner confirm it and possibly corroborate it along with a picture of the same. Also the speed of the wiper I have mentioned is 2 + Variable Intermittent, which means a High & Low + a variable speed adjustment which as per Figo’s website results in a total of 6 speeds, so I will update this as well.

@thangu – Thanks for correcting me regarding the Airbags in the Swift, that was a typo. As far as the Euro NCAP ratings are concerned, I’ve already clarified in my original post, which I’m quoting again:

You could have considered the Fabia Classic which comes cheaper than the Active (+) and comes with a driver airbag. The only omission compared to the Active is the rear Power Windows.

That's a great comparison list! Thank you!

Btw, Punto has one Unique feature, may not be significant though.. the stock Music system volume can be adjusted as per the speed of the car!

And I heard also the wipers work that way as well, but I couldn't actually test it!

Great data for hatch buyers.

This table surprises me when noting the lack of basic safety features in our hatchbacks. That is where Honda scores full marks, as the thread starter said.

Great comparison Jessie. Really appreciate your effort. :thumbs up Its a perfect starting point for people who need a B to B+ segment hatch. They may not be aware of few featrures that are available in these cars

Apologies if I sound a bit greedy but is it possible to include Brio, Ritz and Liva in the list to make it complete ?