Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Cars of 2012 that could turn competitiveness up a notch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
I dont think they will price this. It will eat into the figo sales. Also consider ford's historical stupid pricing for all the models, its just a speculation to expect this price.
I think the specualted price does sound possible considering the fact that figo top end is priced at 5.8 lakhs and the Ecosport would be priced at 7.5 lakh; Ecosport would be priced in the same range as the Fiesta Classic.
Now that does sound a fine placement!
Old 28th December 2011, 16:35   #17
BHPian

Indian market is currently set for a mini SUV of good quality from respectable brand at around 8-10 lacs. The success of XUV 5OO shows just that.

I think for an SUV to win here in India what is required is the sheer presence (BIG)
Soft looking SUVs are not much preferred.

Most people just don't want to spend huge amounts (20L) on a big SUV but want an SUV have to settle for a sedan since there are no options available.
People want SUV looks and sedan prices.

If ecosport were to launch within 9L I am sure people will prefer it over the new fiesta .

I think mini SUV on monocoque chassis more like a hatchbach with larger wheels and that sits higher. Now that should not cost much

VFM is the mantra. Mini SUV is the tantra.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
yes exactly. even skoda yeti costs more than the cheapest laura .so how can one expect ecosport to cost less than the fiesta which touches 10 lacs on road? chances are ecosport could end up competing with the xuv5oo!
competing with XUV 500?
Yes, If Ford does not learn from its mistakes it would, and probably be selling less than the miserable sales Fiesta has now. But then again, Ford already has the failure called Fusion to remind them an ambitious price for a sub 4m hatch isn't going to cut it.

EcoSport could be be positioned along with the Duster. Duster is a little larger though.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

well the 2011 eco in mexico comes to about 11L INR.
just for comparison, a conversion brings out the price of the new fiesta to about 7L INR.
Yowza!
might very well head into XUV500 territory
Old 28th December 2011, 17:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Eco at the price of a C Segment would be simply amazing. Finally, we could have an SUV thats sub 10 lacs then. Obviously ignoring that sorry thing called Rio.

Thats one vehicle, I so look forward to.
Old 28th December 2011, 18:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sorry but I dont think Xylo Mini has the fire power to kill the hatchback market. Its too tall and too narrow and combine that with a smaller wheelbase and you have a perfect recipe for a rolly polly. Its not even good looking.
Ford Ecosport is kinda perfect of Ford is able to get the pricing right.
Who is seriously gonna care about the handling when the overall package is good?
For many people like me it's a dream come true, and the closest one can get to a compact SUV in India(with 4x4), though it's rather of an compact MUV.
Old 28th December 2011, 19:08   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
a compact SUV in India(with 4x4)
I don't think the Mini Xylo would have a 4x4 feature. Have it or not, I agree with you that it would still be an attractive option if the overall packaging is great. I don't think looks (real neat looks i mean) and top-end features do matter much to the average Indian buyer.
Old 28th December 2011, 19:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I don't think the Mini Xylo would have a 4x4 feature. Have it or not, I agree with you that it would still be an attractive option if the overall packaging is great. I don't think looks (real neat looks i mean) and top-end features do matter much to the average Indian buyer.
Yeah, that's why one can't find any real neat/proportioned modern new cars under 10lacs in India barring a few(and older models)
But read about the 4X4 in many places, infact it's being tested in the Xylo also. All in all, i don't care if it doesn't have 4x4. Give me a front engine rear wheel drive car anyday.
Old 28th December 2011, 20:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yowza!
might very well head into XUV500 territory
Good Info.

Then Ford might as well not bring it. Why get another dud to add to their list of failures? Fusion, New Fiesta and now EcoSport.

as a sub 4m hatch its not going to sell over 8L onroad.

btw: i am guessing Ford would want a f-name for their car, so they may not use EcoSport. priced over 8L on road they can name it ForgetIt
Old 28th December 2011, 20:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
6. HM Ambassador CS
Attachment 861158
You may think I am crazy, but there is a reason that I have included the grand-dad of all Indian cars in this list. At a ex-showroom price of 4.5 to 5 lakh, combined with a 1.5l diesel engine, I seriously wish that the Amby saves the other CS cars mentioned in this list from becoming prospective taxis
I had pointed this out in an earlier thread, this probably is the (re)design of the century . On a serious note, the Ambys sell around 100 in no. a month because of some rural sales and some paltry additions to the taxis in Kolkata. The current price ranges between 4 to 6 lakhs Ambassador, Ambassador Price, Review, Ambassador CNG/Diesel Mileage | CarDekho India. I am not sure how this will become the new favorite of the taxi segment. Registrations of new taxis have been restricted in Kolkata to a bare minimum due to an oversupply and insistence of not phasing out the old polluting ones . I would love all the Birla scions riding around in Kolkata in this "upgrade" if I may call it that way.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:20   #26
BHPian

My observations segment-wise:
New Reva – no competition – best for city run-abouts in under 3L segment
2011 Swift should continue to lead the compact car segment unless god/ workers stall its production.
The new Swift Dzire sedan should be nice to own/ maintain in the compact sedan category – I love the trimmed boot version compared to the ugly old Dzire.
Mini at 12L should be cool to own – compare it with the 24+ L for a VW beetle CKD kit!!
Korando – seems a better package compared to Yeti – might also have the same fate as the Yeti. Indian customers need acres of space when they pay 17L, right?
I expect the Duster/ Ertiga/ Ecosport to make an impact if priced under 10L segment; though these are not an SUV in true sense. Among them, I love the Ecosport – Ford should have the best on-road handling manners/ exceptional ride quality and looks premium for its class, if they get the pricing right.
Ssangyong Rexton – should be VFM in its segment considering the loads of space - more in tune with Indian needs!
NV 200 in the MPV segment is good if Nissan improves service network next year; while I expect Force/ MB MPV to lead that segment considering the existing network.
Coupe of the year should be Porshe 911 at a whopping 90L...
At 2.4 Cr the AMG is not premium enough – I would rather look at a Ferrari/ Maserati if I had the pockets. Bugatti Veyron should lead the multi crore segment if they find a buyer – I guess its over 13 crores.

Some interesting points to note:
Honda is considering diesel engines, yawn! finally!!!
Not much activity in the electric car segment with fuel prices going north.
No real SUV under 10L still; but for the mini Xylo which may have an off-road version. I would still love to see a civilian version of the Thar under 8/9L which should have a huge following.
With Renaults marraige with Nissan, you will find a similar trends that you saw with VW and Skoda – shared models with differentiated headlamps/ bumpers coming out as a new car.
Hyundai has gone completely fluidic with its entire fleet with similar lines (new Elantra/ Sonata/ et all).
The sail sisters from Chevrolet – not very enticing.
Comedy of the year 2012 will be the new amby – the designer rammed it on some wall made with Birla cement with tiscon tmt rods (full speed on reverse) to get the desired result of sub 4mtr compact Amby!

Last edited by harishF1 : 30th December 2011 at 17:31.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

My idea of 2012 segment changers:
Small Hatch Segment - Only the new 800 is on the cards I suppose.
Premium Hatch Segment - Refreshed Hyundai i20 can have its title safely with itself.
Entry Level Sedan Segment - Compact is the key word here
Medium Sedan Segment - Has Hyundai secured this space with its Verna or is Honda coming back with vengence for the title? Lets wait and watch.
Entry Luxury Segment - Fear of the Elantra lurks the existing players, while Cruze is already preparing for the war with more power this time! Looks or raw power?
Luxury Sedan Segment - Sonata will face the Superb here. The title will stay with the Superb, while Sonata takes a bite out of the Skoda's lion's share, IMHO.
Mini SUV - Ford, Renault, Maruti, Hyundai, M&M, errm Premier, Everybody would be fighting for this surprise segment.
Medium SUV - XUV 5oo seems to have the title to itself without a second thought about competitors here!
Luxury SUV - Unless Santa Fe gets assembled here and Hyundai cuts prices by 5L or more, Fortuner can relax.

Surprise manufactures?
Peugeot, MINI, Lexus to make their mark in 2012 I suppose, or is Lexus entering in 2013 ?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 22:03   #28
BANNED

Well, Peugeot sure will spring up some surprises if they launch a Super Hatch.

BUT, The only car, thats not been spotted / spied is the FACELIFT PUNTO.

Though its out that on Jan 3rd 2012 the facelift version will be launched, its surprising that none has spied/spotted one so far.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Well, Peugeot sure will spring up some surprises if they launch a Super Hatch.

BUT, The only car, thats not been spotted / spied is the FACELIFT PUNTO.

Though its out that on Jan 3rd 2012 the facelift version will be launched, its surprising that none has spied/spotted one so far.
Its more of a feature addition to the 2012 Punto and Linea. No design change or revision is expected. So don't expect to see test mules of the facelifted Punto Evo or the Linea to be seen anywhere
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
The sail sisters from Chevrolet – not very enticing.
But they would replace the Aveo siblings by selling the exact same numbers IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Comedy of the year 2012 will be the new amby – the designer rammed it on some wall made with Birla cement with tiscon tmt rods (full speed on reverse) to get the desired result of sub 4mtr compact Amby!
I have to disagree with you on this one. Its a case of "bad botox" I say

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks