Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 11:42   #61
BHPian

Re: December 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Thanks GTO and Jalsa for the excellent report again.

One look at manufacturer's figures for 2011 indicate that only 3 manufacturers have clocked better numbers in Dec 2011 as compared to Jan 2011.

The top 3 who had shown growth between Jan and Dec 2011 are

Toyota - around 7000 cars
M&M - around 2000 cars
Skoda - around 1000 cars

This is driven by new product launches like Etios, Liva, XUV and Rapid (still early days for Rapid though it seems to hold promise). M&M's performance is all the more impressive with gains in existing brands like Bolero apart from the successful new product launch. Even for these two companies, there is some pressure on numbers in existing brands like Corolla, Fortuner, Xylo and Verito. Another company with two impressive launches this year, Verna fluidic and Eon, has surprisingly not grown much. To be fair enough, Hyundai had a higher base to start with as compared to a Toyota or an M&M.

Tata is doing decent numbers with Indica and Indigo. RE60 from Bajaj could pose maximum threat to Nano when launched. Suzuki would bounce back sooner. Already Swift and Wagon R have started clocking some impressive numbers. Is Alto under pressure (not seeing 30k numbers consistently anymore) after Eon launch? Alto might need a facelift - can A-Star be rebadged Alto K10? Suzuki is already clocking great numbers with their existing sedans. If only their sedans can be made to look presentable, their sales charts could well be on fire.
amateurpro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:46   #62
BHPian

Hey all,

In regard with a common question asked in this thread about the differentiation between the different car segments, here's the data which JD Power and SIAM, I believe agree :

Entry Compact (Segment A)
Maruti 800
Nano

Mid-size Compact (Sement B1)
Maruti Alto
Hyundai Santro
Hyundai i10
Chevy Spark
Maruti A Star
Maruti Wagon R
Tata Indica (Vista excluded)
Maruti Estilo
Nissan Micra

Premium Compact (Segment B2)
Chevy Beat
Chevy Aveo - UVA
Fiat Grande Punto
Maruti Swift
Maruti Ritz
Ford Figo
Honda Jazz
Hyundai Getz
Hyundai i20
VW Polo
Toyota Etios Liva
Tata Indica Vista
Skoda Fabia

Entry Level Mid-size Sedan (Segment B1 sedan)
Ford Ikon
Mahindra Verito
Tata Indigo and Manza
Toyota Etios
Maruti Swift Dzire

Midsize Sedan (Segment B2 sedan)
Chevrolet Aveo
Fiat Linea
Ford Fiesta
Honda City
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Verna
Maruti SX4
Mitsubishi Lancer/Cedia
Skoda Rapid
Nissan Sunny
VW Vento

Premium mid-size (Segment C sedan)
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla Altis
Volkswagen Jetta
Skoda Laura
Chevrolet Cruze
Chevrolet Optra
Renault Fluence

Entry level luxury (Segment D sedan)
Honda Accord
Skoda Superb
Toyota Camry
VW Passat

MUV/ MPV segment
Toyota Innova
Chevrolet Tavera
Mahindra Xylo
Mahindra Bolero
Tata Sumo

SUV Segment
Toyota Fortuner
Chevrolet Captiva
Honda CR-V
Ford Endeavor
Tata Safari DiCOR
Mahindra Scorpio
Mahindra XUV 500

Van Segment:
Maruti Omni
Maruti Eeco

P.S: I'm not sure which segment Hyundai Eon lies in..

Hope to have covered the rest of the lot... Beg your pardon if I have missed out any of the models.
Carb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 13:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Hey all,

In regard with a common question asked in this thread about the differentiation between the different car segments, here's the data which JD Power and SIAM, I believe agree :
Thanks. I see at least 2 missing, Tata Aria and Scoda Yeti from your list.

Please can you clarify if this list is from SIAM or your compiled?
Old 4th January 2012, 13:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smopuri View Post
Thanks. I see at least 2 missing, Tata Aria and Scoda Yeti from your list.

Please can you clarify if this list is from SIAM or your compiled?
Ahh... sorry about that...

Aria as of now falls in MUV/ MPV segment and the Yeti falls in the SUV segment.

The list by the way, was the compilation of JD Power done in Jan 2011. So new inclusions were confirmed and put into appropriate segments by our team.

By the way,

Merc E-class, C-class, BMW 3 n 5 series and Audi A4 are the reasonably sampled models which come under Luxury segment (Segment D2)
Old 4th January 2012, 14:03   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I’m surprised with a dip in the Jetta’s sales though. It’s one heck of a car, and quite a looker too. The 40% month-on-month dip is surprising.
You can put that down to poor variant positioning. The base Trendline MT which sells at a higher price than the Laura Ambition MT has some key external features missing, like the chrome grille, fog lamps, etc... and also misses the chrome detailing in the interiors. In India, this is a premium segment and any buyer in this segment would not want his neighbour to know he has bought the base version! Take the Laura for instance. It is pretty hard to tell the Ambition from the L&K from the outside. Let alone visual cues, there ain't any badging either to distinguish the Ambition from the Elegance. VW has done well to provide good safety kit on the Trendline but skimping on some visual appeal will turn buyers away. Also why no DSG on the lower variants? The next variant, the Comfortline is priced way too high, higher than the Laura Ambition DSG.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th January 2012 at 14:15.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 14:20   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
December is usually known as the “stock clearance” month. No dealer ....
I was looking for ForceOne numbers. Any word on how many ForceOne SUVs Force shipped so far?
Old 4th January 2012, 17:04   #67
BHPian

Thank GTO,

Was that best month for sumo so far at 3K+ units? Sad to see aria numbers, not even price cut could save it. XUV doesn't seize to impress with 2K+ units, even better than xylo. It's a clear winner and a lesson to aria.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Mid-size Compact (Sement B1)
Maruti Alto
Hyundai Santro
Hyundai i10
Chevy Spark
Maruti A Star
Maruti Wagon R
Tata Indica (Vista excluded)
Maruti Estilo
Nissan Micra

Premium Compact (Segment B2)
Chevy Beat
Chevy Aveo - UVA
Fiat Grande Punto
Maruti Swift
Maruti Ritz
Ford Figo
Honda Jazz
Hyundai Getz
Hyundai i20
VW Polo
Toyota Etios Liva
Tata Indica Vista
Skoda Fabia
Now, I feel there's more reason to believe that Tata is fooling people with its Indica-Vista sales figures. These two hatches are not only different cars, but even fall in different segments. By simply having the same (Indica) name for two different cars, Tata is cashing in on "high" sales figures. Wonder how Tata has been allowed to get away with this and wonder why SIAM or other car companies are not questioning this decision?
Old 4th January 2012, 17:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
I agree. Classification should remain consistent GTO. In fact, i think B1 segment is correct for santro. My query is regarding the Beat. I thought it was in the same segment as the i10. How come i10 is in the same segment as the Polos and Swifts and I-20s, whereas the Beat has to share segment with Santros and Estilos ? Being a Beat owner myself, i was offended , and will remain so till i get a valid explanation.
Well Actually I too was surprised to see Beat amongst B1 and i10 amongst B2 segment. If the length width or engine are the criterian then both these cars are perfect subsitute of each other (except the diesel thing). Can't imagine why they should lie in different segment. My understanding is that Beat & i10 Lie bang in the middle of B1 and B2 segment's as far as Length and width are concerned and Engine-wise they lie in B2 segment (Ok i10 has one B1 segment engine as well) so overall both of them should be in B2 segment.

Last edited by anu21v : 4th January 2012 at 17:56.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:56   #70

Thanks for the exhaustive report GTO and Jalsa777. Any update on how Premier is doing ? Curious to know how many Rio's have been sold.

Mod team note: Removing [Font] tags. Please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2012 at 18:06. Reason: Removing [Font] tags. Please avoid Copy Paste from external font editors, also do a Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:38   #71
BHPian

• With the Indian market scene hotting up, Maruti has been expected to lose its market share in a big way in the medium-to-long term, but certainly not the numbers. With the unfortunate recent turn of events, it could lose the share much faster than anticipated, if it can't recover quick enough from the present low. Maruti must bring in new models faster with petrol prices heading north and the changing market dynamics. Once the initial euphoria and bookings are over, I expect the New Swift to become a relatively niche player as against the mainstream position of the earlier Swift - unless there are too many enthusiasts in the country to buy this less practical car. I fail to understand why Ritz is going down - I hope it to recover soon. DZire is surprisingly continuing with its majestic run - only on Maruti brand loyalty IMO. The market is now awash with numerous options like Etios, Manza, Sunny, Verito, and even the repriced City. SX4 is suffering instead at the moment. Still, only a matter of time before DZire starts losing its grip on the segment, except that the New DZire brings in something special.

• Hyundai is also finding it an uphill task to retain its market share in the evolving competitive landscape. While it performed a miracle by bringing alive a near-dead brand of Verna, it committed a pricing blunder on Eon. On the whole, with Toyota, Honda & Nissan entering mass segments with their own unique strengths, it's really going to be tough for the top two Indian carmakers. Reliability, their major strength, is no longer their sole preserve in the mass market - they are in fact likely to be bettered by the Japanese majors on this!

• Good to see Tatas doing well. Hope they can improve upon the quality practices. Else, they've got a lot to get very close to the best.

• Hats off to M&M for bringing in game-changing products from time-to-time. XUV is doing the numbers it deserves. Xylo & Verito deserve better numbers. I do not understand why Bolero does the numbers Sumo just can't do, but then I do not know this segment much. In any case, I do hope M&M also pays attention to the quality aspect to move forward on its ambition to become a global player.

• While introducing Etios, Toyota had expressed its target market share of 10% by 2015. In December 2011, it garnered 8% already! As an Etios owner, it's good to see the siblings doing well-deserved better numbers. Perhaps, after initial euphoria and subsequent disappointment, it is beginning to draw the typical-Toyota-target-segment of the reliability-plus-practicality-and-comfort-oriented. Understandably, Toyota is also working on to broadbase Etios' appeal by introducing some changes, including the interiors, that would not cost much. Innova continues doing wonders despite its taxi-image and being apparently over-priced with its plain looks and low features. The wise Indian customer does indeed look beyond the obvious! The non-CBU Camry on its way will help buttress the company its position in yet another segment.

• The superb Rapid will help Skoda make rapid strides in terms of volumes and market share but is cannibalizing its half-brother Vento at the moment. Why the hell has Spark lost its spark?! So much effect of the petrol price in this segment? Is Eon effect aggravating the situation to some extent? Nissan's Sunny too deserves much better sunshine - hope it gets it in the new year. Ditto for City, Jazz and Brio. May the new year bring the jazz back for Honda!

And may 2012 bring a lot of bright tidings for the Indian customer!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 4th January 2012 at 20:07.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:02   #72
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Carb old chap!
Considering that I contributed to the Skoda Yeti sales figure in December 2011 I would really like to get a sort of trendline on its sales since its original launch here in India.
Any help possible on this please?

I did see GTO's wonderful set of charts as usual but Im wondering how to get a bunch of data about the Yeti since its original launch!
Cheers

Quote:
Ahh... sorry about that...

Aria as of now falls in MUV/ MPV segment and the Yeti falls in the SUV segment.

The list by the way, was the compilation of JD Power done in Jan 2011. So new inclusions were confirmed and put into appropriate segments by our team.

By the way,

Merc E-class, C-class, BMW 3 n 5 series and Audi A4 are the reasonably sampled models which come under Luxury segment (Segment D2)

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th January 2012 at 20:08.
Old 5th January 2012, 09:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Carb old chap!
Considering that I contributed to the Skoda Yeti sales figure in December 2011 I would really like to get a sort of trendline on its sales since its original launch here in India.
Any help possible on this please?

I did see GTO's wonderful set of charts as usual but Im wondering how to get a bunch of data about the Yeti since its original launch!
Cheers
Apologies Shankar san... I work for a car manufacturing unit and am oblivious to sales data of any of the other manufacturers. But somehow I found GTO's charts (although wholesale data) to be quite informative.

However, I'm informed that you can get the data you are looking for, by contacting SIAM themselves.
Old 5th January 2012, 10:26   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Thanks for that pointer
Will do

This wholesale data is a good pointer but Retail sell through is really what matters in the end!

Quote:
Apologies Shankar san... I work for a car manufacturing unit and am oblivious to sales data of any of the other manufacturers. But somehow I found GTO's charts (although wholesale data) to be quite informative.

However, I'm informed that you can get the data you are looking for, by contacting SIAM themselves.
Old 5th January 2012, 11:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post

Tata is doing decent numbers with Indica and Indigo. RE60 from Bajaj could pose maximum threat to Nano when launched.
Looking at the RE60, doubt it can affect Nano. The target segments are totally different -

RE60 - Auto guys who want to upgrade to "taxi". Doubt we will see any white board RE60's

Nano - Mostly selling to people who want a 2nd/3rd car as a city runabout
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks