Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2006, 03:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

OK, Indian supercar sounds great but who's gonna buy one.
Our country is obsessed with phoren products and especially someone who can afford a Porsche or a
Audi TT. Dosent matter if you have the performance, its gotta have the image. Even worse if its called something like Indradanush !!!

A middle rung sports car is more practical I believe
I think a practical configuration would be a mid engine 2 seater with a 3.0 V6 and a 6 speed manual
Horsepower should be anywhere between 250 and 300 and price below 20 lakhs.
If you can imagine an Acura NSX in steel..thats where I'm goin
Old 18th March 2006, 03:17   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
OK, Indian supercar sounds great but who's gonna buy one.
Our country is obsessed with phoren products
Quite simple! Sell it overseas.

If it is infact a "super"car, at indian prices, it will be the next Acura NSX (ie "ferrari for a fraction of the price" image).

Not to mention the indian name will sound exotic to most people around the world.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2006 at 03:18.
Old 18th March 2006, 03:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm......if you can pull it off you'll be the man Reehan. The ultrapremium market is all about image and snob value.

Cars like TVR, Noble have the performance to run with Porsche and Ferrari but zero image.

On the other hand, even cutting edge all aluminum Acura NSX got rejected by the premium shoppers. People complained that it did'nt have a V8 and it was too expensive, but at the same time they had no problem paying for and air cooled Porsche with a steel body.

Needless to mention, people still bought the crap that Jaguar and Rolls were putting out in the 90s

Last edited by Mpower : 18th March 2006 at 03:45.
Old 18th March 2006, 04:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hmmm......if you can pull it off you'll be the man Reehan. The ultrapremium market is all about image and snob value.

Cars like TVR, Noble have the performance to run with Porsche and Ferrari but zero image.

On the other hand, even cutting edge all aluminum Acura NSX got rejected by the premium shoppers. People complained that it did'nt have a V8 and it was too expensive, but at the same time they had no problem paying for and air cooled Porsche with a steel body.

Needless to mention, people still bought the crap that Jaguar and Rolls were putting out in the 90s
Very true Mpower,

I am not doubting the whole "snob value" thing, but then again, part of it is about which direction the wind is blowing on that day.

By no means am i saying its an easy task. But it IS possible. Look at pagani for example - weird name, godawful ugly car (yes it has grown on me since the first time i saw it), but tons of snob value, attention to detail and a couple of brilliant reviews set the ball rolling. From being unknown to being a lot of peoples top 5 now. Ofcourse this is an extreme example.

As you said, the NSX is also a good example of how things can go wrong as well.

There are two sides to every coin and for this thread i just decided to pick the optimistic one

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2006 at 04:33.

Most Viewed