Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 13:39   #136
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway

Problem with Peugeot is that they ditched us in India once. Like Fiat they too many find it hard to comeback infact things could be harder for them.

Their cars look and feel good to drive and even in the first foray into India were reputed to be good. But getting back the confidence from India will be hard.

Service network if limited works only for the very high end models but peugeot does not have aspirational brand value so it will be a tough one.

That said the 508 looks like a proper accord / superb competitor but then if priced on the higher side will be in trouble.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:47   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is this a testing by Peugeot or a private import?

There is no camouflage on the car and more importantly, why would they test the 3-door hatchback? They could very well bring the 5-door which makes more sense in our country.
By Peugeot.

The 5-door 207 has also been spotted testing along with the 3-door one. They will definitely bring in the 5-door 207.
Old 25th October 2011, 17:36   #138
Senior - BHPian

They have been testing for a while, but the launch looks sometime away. Hardly any reports about setting up dealer network and such. No harm in making a splash at the Auto expo though. They need to send a strong message that they are serious about their second innings.

The 508 is a handsome car, inside out. Definitely something different. But they have their work cut out.
Old 5th November 2011, 09:45   #139
Senior - BHPian

I'm already feeling good about Peugeot's Second innings in our country. Have you guys checked out the updated 207 that was unveiled recently? Amazing interiors I would say, am already feeling sold for the interiors. The interior seems to be of very high quality and degign is 'Oh-so-modern' yet elegant.
SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-peugeot208_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_12345.jpg
Don't miss out the chrome extension with the fog lamps
SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-peugeot208_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_0d.jpg
Whoa! Macho lines on the hood and uniquely styled head lamps.
SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-peugeot208_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_0f.jpg
Though it reminds you of the new Swift and the Nissan Teana, it is cute and nice right? And the wheel arch is well defined and unique too.
SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-peugeot208_2013_1024x768_wallpaper_0b.jpg
Spell bound! Just look at that steering wheel, the drilled pedals, the piano black wood finish seems to reek of quality too. Abd the two best design elements that blew me away- The floating ICE (ok, remove the sat nav and add a comtemporary music player) and then the high set floating instrument console! Amazing work by the designers. Great looking interiors there. All the best Peugeot, bring in the 208 without delay

Also read all the details about the car in the article from IAB - Peugeot unveils the new 208 hatchback
aravind.anand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 10:24   #140
BHPian

Thanks Aravind, the Dash in particular is Drool Mal....

My family was about to book the 306 when it was launched, but sense prevailed due to the issues we had seen during the launch of Uno and avoided temptation.

Agree to ACM that peugeot dose not enjoy the aspirational brand value. And we Indians are a bit negative (defensive) in our thinking. Hence its tough to really expect us to welcome Peugeot with Open Hands. (Case:-FIAT)

Both FIAT and Peugeot have had bad past in INDIA and in a community where the decision making is still largely controlled by elders in the house, Peugeot will be last option.

I just wish they have the strength and wisdom to come independently and grind out the first few years. Then i am sure they will be able to build on.

The strategy for Peugeot must be to launch updated models, along with good reach and strict quality with regards to ***. Spend on Good Marketing, to ensure market pull.
rajchetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 11:17   #141
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Bro, A.S.S. is a key factor as well. Thanks for mentioning about FIAT, both the Linea and the Punto are really good products too, but because of the less than average A.S.S. experience, buyers are shying away from them. Lets now see if Peugeot is smart enough to learn from FIAT's mistakes.

I hope Peugeot would have already begun ground work on identifying dealership prospects in major cities. How many would be ready to buy a Peugeot is a different story, how many would be willing to take up Peugeot dealerships is again a big question mark
But I wish they are aware of the same and do their homework properly. Good products can do nothing, if the brand is weak.
Old 8th November 2011, 01:44   #142
BHPian

Peugeots are beautiful cars, I've driven the 207 and the new 308, they are priced very well too, but the problem is with their servicing. All parts (if you want original parts) come from Europe, and therefore the servicing costs are exorbitant, in excess of $800 per service. Hope they can do something about it in India, because I don't think a lot of people will be happy to pay Rs.40,000 per service!
Old 13th November 2011, 21:24   #143
BANNED

Looks as if Peugeot is coming back to India with some competition to the current cars.. Just hope they stay longer this time .
Old 13th November 2011, 22:25   #144
RSR
Senior - BHPian

The new Peugeot 208 is a looker! I love its stylish French design and the interiors are beautifully crafted too, though it remains to be seen if Peugeot will remove too many features on the Indian model.

Peugeot has a great range of HDi diesel engines as well. The 208, with its stylish looks and good diesel engine should do very well in the i120/Swift segment if offered at the right price. Localisation of parts should enable Peugeot to offer the car at a competitive price.

But first, Peugeot needs to get their new plant up and running quickly, build a dealership/service network from scratch and get rid of the bad image - unwanted baggage from their earlier disastrous JV with PAL.
Old 14th November 2011, 00:33   #145
BHPian

Peugout and other European brands like Renault and Fiat carry a lot of old baggage with them in India. How much ever they try to change their brand image. Its likely tobe associated with past. They need to think of bringing new brands from their portfolio or start new brands in India for getting desired success
Old 14th November 2011, 11:45   #146
BANNED

Fiat had too much of old stuff here in India. Comparatively Peugout has very less old stuff.

If Peugout successfully gets the dealership and GOOD A.S.S centers up and running soon, they wont face much problems on the way to success here.

Peugout just need to be correct on the pricing front then. Localization will help a lot in there.
Old 15th November 2011, 09:44   #147
Senior - BHPian

The hatch looks amazing & with a good diesel engine option - should shake up the segment..let us remember the Peugeot is a well made car much like it's other European cousins.

One thing that they need to sort out before launch is that the dealership & service network should be top notch, unlike the blunder they made in their earlier foray in India, where even booking amounts were not even returned to customers. (My father being one such customer)

Let us see how they do it right this time around.

Cheers
Old 25th November 2011, 18:00   #148
BHPian

spotted the 508 in malad, mumbai this afternoon. looks like they are doing their ARAI city tests . looks fantastic. the road presence is awesome. michelins on the 17 inch rims looks stunning!!! some pics attached. mobile clicks, so please excuse me for the poor image quality.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-img2011112500024.jpg  

SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-img2011112500025.jpg  

SCOOP Pics : Peugeot (207, 508) spotted testing on the MH Expressway-img2011112500026.jpg  

smally is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 18:10   #149
BHPian

Nice catch there.. I found the tail lamps to be very jaguar ish .opinions may differ though
Old 25th November 2011, 18:16   #150
BHPian

yeah its actually like an amalgamation of the jaguar and the opel vectra (if you remember, a dud in indian market, but a stunner to dive and be driven around).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed