Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 12:07   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Reload this Page Delhi Transport Dept asks dealers to stop charging incidental ch

I remember reading the post of a fellow member from Hyderabad who was very arrogantly snubbed by the VW dealer when he objected to being charged an amount of Rs. 15k for the handling charges. The only explanation that was offered was that its the dealer policy across the state.

This move will put an end to this kind of menace. Although this is wrong I am still ready to cuff out a little money ( read as 2-3k) for this since I agree that cars cannot be treated as vegetables etc and there is considerable amount of care needed to maintain them before delivering to the customer. But anything more then that is just a way of making money out of cheating.

The rule may not come so fast though since an association of Dealers have already approached the court to present there case against the PIL. Given the amount of Clout some of them have, I will be a little apprehensive in celebrating already.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:24   #17
BANNED

Re: Reload this Page Delhi Transport Dept asks dealers to stop charging incidental ch

In the UK logistic charges are called - plates (i.e., registration, no. plates, etc). I am sure something similar will emerge here.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In the UK logistic charges are called - plates (i.e., registration, no. plates, etc). I am sure something similar will emerge here.
They do still have those sections too incorporated in the price list. The price for the number plates is another grey area. They charge you anything from 600 to over 1k and the quality of the number plates is really bad ( specially with Toyota).

On top of this they charge a handling and logistic fee which is the area of contention here.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:12   #19
BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept asks dealers to stop charging incidental charge

I bought Honda City 1.5SMt (Navi Mumbai) in year 2009 and I clearly remember price list mentioning Registration amount = Rs. 64000. However I have received tax receipt of Rs. 52000 only! When asked the sales guy, I got an answer its dealer service charge. I left it thinking this must be way of income for car sale as the car price was nearly the same at every dealership, I did not bother then

Pardon my ignorance, but is the dealer paid by company for every car sale, or they have the cut from our side, like in my case they did?
Old 5th January 2012, 15:29   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
They do still have those sections too incorporated in the price list. The price for the number plates is another grey area. They charge you anything from 600 to over 1k and the quality of the number plates is really bad ( specially with Toyota).

On top of this they charge a handling and logistic fee which is the area of contention here.
In the UK the term plates in a Euphemism and includes the logistic charges. No suvidha shulk there. I dealership is given a set on numbers, they then complete and send the papers to (I think) Swansea. Over here there was a proposal to given the dealerships a group of numbers to allot and then submit the papers in the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is the dealer paid by company for every car sale, or they have the cut from our side, like in my case they did?
They will get their margin, only the discounts will become smaller, or the list price suitably inflated.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

No handling charge by dealer = no freebies given to you.

I think that's how it'll work if it's implemented. I'm not sure which is the lesser evil!
Old 5th January 2012, 17:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
No handling charge by dealer = no freebies given to you.

I think that's how it'll work if it's implemented. I'm not sure which is the lesser evil!
Toyota charged me for the handling charges and still didn't offer any freebies. I am in a Win situation in this case .

On a serious note even if this comes I am not sure how many outside TBHP ever study the price list properly. Infact having some knowledge about cars and dealers even I forgot to see if Toyota chaps charged me the exact registration amount or not while buying the Altis 3 months back.
The dealers will surely find someother way of adding this cost to the price list.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:34   #23
BHPian

According to the transport dept incidental charges should not have been charged at all as there is no provision in the law for this. Can people who already bought their cars get a refund back based on this?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
According to the transport dept incidental charges should not have been charged at all as there is no provision in the law for this. Can people who already bought their cars get a refund back based on this?
I doubt. Although I read in the same article that you can go ahead and complain to the RTO against the dealer and they will take action. But I am sure you will not get a refund without a lot of effort, if at all. This move is more directed at purchases henceforth .
Also the matter is still pending in the court. So lets wait for the final verdict before jumping the guns.
Old 27th January 2012, 12:59   #25
BHPian

All the Mahindra dealers are charging logistics and it is not at dealer level but at Mahindra level as they have won the court case. Can anyone confirm the same??
Old 6th February 2012, 18:48   #26
Team-BHP Support

The court has taken a very, very strict stand against this issue :

Delhi Court directs lodging of FIR on plea against Volkswagen's MD - The Times of India
Old 6th February 2012, 20:41   #27
BHPian

"Handling Charges" by dealers now disputed in court

Hello, I am not too sure if there has been a discussion on this topic hence starting a new thread. Please merge it if one already started.

I guess now the "handling charges" charged by dealers will have to be better explained. A Delhi court had asked the police to file an FIR against the dealer and MD of Volkswagen for asking customers to pay these charges. Link to the report.
Buyers charges: FIR vs Volkswagen MD - Indian Express

I am not too sure what the charges really are for and they vary from one dealer to another. Maybe its time the dealers come clean on this and make the entire process transparent. Lets keep an eye on this.
Old 6th February 2012, 22:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Handling Charges" by dealers now disputed in court

It's already being discussed here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2671892
Old 6th February 2012, 23:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Handling Charges" by dealers now disputed in court

I am actually Okay to pay the Incidental charges. If the people are not ashamed to take bribes / not doing duties at the proper time, I am not ashamed of paying bribes.

I checked with some dealers (Sorry cannot name them) and its the so called "Bribe" to pass all vehicles under that particular dealer. If you do not pay bribe, it seems, your vehicle would not be attended at all and the RTO folks tell to come the next day and the story repeats.

To avoid all hassles, they just pay up the bribe. Since they cannot /will not write the word bribe, they mention as incedental expenses. It is surprizing to know that incidental expenses also covers the fuel from the dealership to the RTO and back.

PLease note: I do not run any dealership / work for any. I work in an MNC and am purely white money salaried.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 6th February 2012 at 23:11.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:38   #30
Team-BHP Support

Are "logistic" charges illegal?

Look at this news
Delhi Court directs lodging of FIR on plea against Volkswagen's MD - The Times of India

almost all mfrs, have number plate/logistic charges added to the price. All dealers charge the same.

Now the question is, whether this is illegal in Delhi or all over India?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed