Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 08:21   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

All Tata dealers blatantly adding 6,500 Handling & Logistics charges in Bangalore. Is there any recourse as I need the car on an urgent basis?
Old 27th September 2017, 09:09   #332
BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
All Tata dealers blatantly adding 6,500 Handling & Logistics charges in Bangalore. Is there any recourse as I need the car on an urgent basis?
5000 was added in the price list for Nexon from three showrooms whom I have been in touch with. The main dealer whom I am primarily engaging, I told the SA that I'm not paying that component and if it means I have to raise complaint to Tata Motors, I will. Till now, didn't hear anything from SA that I have to pay that component. Need to see how it goes after I confirm to go ahead with the booking.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:15   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I am also trying this waived off. I got this waived off from Ford last year, I am visiting the dealer today evening. I am taking all the information required to counter the claims to have this waived off.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 08:31   #334
Senior - BHPian

Some development in Mumbai with BMC stepping in, to curtail this illegal handling charge scam run by dealers.
One can complain to the BMC, for the first offence the dealer will have his trade licence suspended for a month and then compounding
Details below
http://www.mid-day.com/articles/sout...uyers/18680187
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 13:14   #335
BHPian

Well I had booked Tiago in July XM (O) variant. But since there was a long waiting on the Optional variants and still the dealer has no idea when will they have it in transit. So i moved to XZ and the car is in transit. Now the quesion is that is there a way I can avoid paying the logistics charges which is Rs. 6500? I am taking the delivry from Concorde Motors, Mohan Estate, Delhi.
Old 27th October 2017, 19:06   #336
Senior - BHPian

The other thing we need to be aware of is how to figure out if the Handling charges have been hidden in any of the other charges in case it is not explicitly mentioned
Old 3rd November 2017, 21:02   #337
BHPian

Guys, I am expecting delivery of my Hexa this month and the dealer is insisting on charging Handling and Logistics charges of Rs 9,500. I wrote to TML helpline and seems that they forwarded my 'complaint' to the GM of Berkeley Tata (Chandigarh) who in turn tasked the sales person to convince me that this is a charge which everyone pays.

Upon countering him with the argument that this charge is illegal and has been struck down in three different jurisdictions, he presented me with a newspaper cutting citing a Supreme Court mandate dated 05 Jan 2017 Petiton for Special Leave to Appeal No. 26209/2012 suggesting that this charge is approved.

Digging deeper, I understood that the mandate regarding the above-mentioned petition stated that they would not be interfering with the High Court order in case WP(C) 8408/2011, part 3 (viii) of which clearly states that "All intending buyer of vehicles are also further advised not to pay any service / handling / miscellaneous charges, etc. apart from taxes / fees
mentioned above for registration of their vehicles.”

My question is, how should I proceed to get my charges waived off?
If anyone could please provide me with the relevant notifications from the Delhi Transport Department or Kerela / Telangana / Kerela transport departments regarding these charges, the dealership might bend or these documents might help me if I decide to meet the Chandigarh State Transport Authority (STA).

Many Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-img20171103wa0007.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 871669.pdf (56.2 KB, 354 views)
File Type: pdf RSE20042012CW84082011.pdf (270.9 KB, 328 views)
Old 4th November 2017, 00:49   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
My question is, how should I proceed to get my charges waived off?
If anyone could please provide me with the relevant notifications from the Delhi Transport Department or Kerela / Telangana / Kerela transport departments regarding these charges, the dealership might bend or these documents might help me if I decide to meet the Chandigarh State Transport Authority (STA).

Many Thanks!
Try to highlight the illegality on social media and tag TML along with Chandigarh police. Build some more pressure by exploring with other dealers and holding payment or informing them about your intention to cancel the booking if these illegal charges are not waived off.
Old 4th November 2017, 00:59   #339
BHPian

Is the dealer getting the car registered for you? I think that's not possible as one has to get their car registered themselves in Chandigarh. That's what I saw today in sector 42 where new owners were getting their cars checked themselves.
Old 4th November 2017, 11:35   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
Try to highlight the illegality on social media and tag TML along with Chandigarh police. Build some more pressure by exploring with other dealers and holding payment or informing them about your intention to cancel the booking if these illegal charges are not waived off.
Thanks, that might work, but are there no notifications, which were published by the Delhi Telangana and Kerala transport departments? I couldn't find them online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Is the dealer getting the car registered for you? I think that's not possible as one has to get their car registered themselves in Chandigarh. That's what I saw today in sector 42 where new owners were getting their cars checked themselves.
Yes, we have to get our cars registered ourselves. Chandigarh does not yet have the facility to register at the dealership. Can they still charge Logistics and Handling when such a facility is not available?
Old 4th November 2017, 13:41   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Thanks, that might work, but are there no notifications, which were published by the Delhi Telangana and Kerala transport departments? I couldn't find them online.

Yes, we have to get our cars registered ourselves. Chandigarh does not yet have the facility to register at the dealership. Can they still charge Logistics and Handling when such a facility is not available?
Sharing notifications from Delhi and Telangana, and a newspaper clip from Gujarat, if it helps anyone later.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-delhi-transport-dept.jpg  

Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-gujarat-handling-charges-rto.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Telangana RTO.pdf (187.4 KB, 822 views)
sugam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 13:30   #342
Senior - BHPian

Maruti dealer fined Rs.1 Lakh for levying illegal ‘handling charges’

Quote:
We have been saying that ‘handling charges’ which dealers generally take from the customer are illegal.
Quote:
Now a consumer court in Chennai has ruled these handling charges to be an unfair trade practice. The court has further said that there should be no charges in addition to government fixed fees for registration.
Quote:
The North Chennai District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum comprising K Jayabalan, president, and M Uyirroli Kannan, member has granted Rs.1 lakh as compensation for the mental agony suffered by the customer
Source
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 16:10   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The other thing we need to be aware of is how to figure out if the Handling charges have been hidden in any of the other charges in case it is not explicitly mentioned
Check the ex-showroom prices in the manufacturer's website (for your city). If the prices are not mentioned on their website then you may be able to get it from their customer care phone/email.

If the dealer price list is mentioning a different ex-showroom price then you know that the dealer has padded the charges.
Old 15th November 2017, 19:10   #344
BHPian

I am in discussion with TATA dealer in my region, Hanuman Motors in Udupi- Karnataka for Tiago XZA. They are charging INR. 5000 which includes handling charges, RTO registration, number plates. When I mentioned dealership that this was waived off long ago buy the government, he mentions that it was in the past waived off but from September 2017 this fee is again included. He also said they started including this in the price since few months now. Does anybody have similar experience? Any info on Karnataka Ruling this fee?

-UB
Old 15th November 2017, 20:05   #345
BHPian

Even if court comes to rescue I think consumer is not going to get respite from these illegal charges. It will be masked under basic accessory cost which has to be bought by customers. Right now dealers do not remove handling charges and they simply refuse to sell the car, in future they will refuse to sell the car if you do not buy basic accessory package.

It will be like real estate market, it is illegal to sell car parking but builder sell it with some other name like infrastructure cost or some sweet name like this.

Since long time back there are many dealers who make basic accessory pack compulsory for the cars. In year 2010 I remember, our fight with ford dealer did not yield any result for Ford Figo Accessories which we did not want to buy.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 15th November 2017 at 20:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks