Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 06:46   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

MG dealer in Delhi is also charging Rs 10,000 towards handling charges, which I have refused to pay. The dealer has been trying to convince me for the same. I'm going to be quiet till the delivery is near before I mail MG who have promised to waive it off.
Old 12th June 2020, 22:22   #377
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala t

Jeep India Guwahati dealer Mahesh Motors has been accused of charging extra for a Compass in the name of registration handling and depot charges. The suspension notice was issued on 27 May 2020

Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-smartselect_20200612221656_lite.jpg

https://www.rushlane.com/jeep-compas...-12364719.html
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 23:42   #378
Senior - BHPian

Haha. Blame the fraud on a computer operator and get away with a slap on the wrist. How much longer before this order is revoked?
Old 13th June 2020, 01:37   #379
GBX
BHPian

This is probably a controversial opinion but is it worth beating the dealer into submission for a line item which doesn't even come to 1% of the total value of the car?

For instance, I'm sure most of us tip a lot more than 1% after a good meal. And arguably, a dealer's job is more complicated than the waiter's.

Dealers are already struggling. To reduce their margin further, and to have them incur legal costs as well, will only make the dealer experience worse for everyone else. Those costs have to be made up elsewhere.

(Pardon me if I come across as disparaging a customer's hard earned money. That's not my intention.)
GBX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 10:33   #380
BHPian

When we buy a pack of biscuits from a kirana shop, we don't expect the shopkeeper to charge extra for the space for stocking it or the cost of electricity or salary for his employees.

Why should it be different for car dealers? End of the day, both are getting the same margins. Around 5%.
professor.march is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 15:46   #381
BHPian

No More Handling Charge on Tata Cars. MyCarHelpline Campaign Wins:

https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....1088&Itemid=91
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:09   #382
Senior - BHPian

Yes that's why Tata hiked prices because now handling charges are bundled in ex showroom cost.

If anybody wants to claim a win then it will be manufacturers.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 00:29   #383
BHPian

Even after threatening car dealers saying that handling charges is against the rule of land, they just do not care.

I really do not want to start the negotiation or conversation with the sales manger with a possible consumer court case threatening.

When they will delete permanently this column? Is there any other way out ?

How knowing honorable Supreme Court judgment and so many consumer cases around, dealers have the audacity to keep this component in price list ?

Clearly shows majority are not aware of news or they just don't care paying for it.
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:00   #384
BHPian

Well it seems even more price gauging when it comes to luxury segment. A recent quote on Volvo XC40 had "Depot and Auxillary charges" at 45000 and a compulsory "accessory pack" at 27000. That is on top of registration and rto charges. quite ridiculous.
Old 29th September 2020, 23:15   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Yes that's why Tata hiked prices because now handling charges are bundled in ex showroom cost.

If anybody wants to claim a win then it will be manufacturers.
One of my relative has booked a Tata Nexon and I had told him to strictly not pay any handling charges. He too checked and the sales manager acknowledged that there will be no handling charges levied. I was happy until I saw the booking invoice. There is a line called 'TR/PR service charges' for an amount of 7000 INR. Basically they have renamed handling charge now! If this is on top of the hiked ex-showroom price then that's a double whammy

By the way, got absolutely no discount whatsoever on Nexon's price. This is in Bellary, Karnataka. Is it so much in demand?
Old 30th September 2020, 09:48   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
There is a line called 'TR/PR service charges' for an amount of 7000 INR. Basically they have renamed handling charge now! If this is on top of the hiked ex-showroom price then that's a double whammy
What does TR/PR stand for? How has the dealer explained the same to your relative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Jeep India Guwahati dealer Mahesh Motors has been accused of charging extra for a Compass in the name of registration handling and depot charges. The suspension notice was issued on 27 May 2020
A very welcome decision. Even though the dealer may be able to get this resolved, he stands to lose money. Also a repeat offence may attract a similar penalty or worse and he won't be able to blame it on the operator every time.

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th September 2020 at 09:50.
Old 30th September 2020, 10:03   #387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What does TR/PR stand for? How has the dealer explained the same to your relative?
I think it means TR/PR - Temporary Registration/Permanent Registration. Charging 7K for that is daylight robbery.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th September 2020 at 10:05.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:54   #388

I was charged Rs.6900/- as handling charges for my Volkswagen Polo TSI MT from Success Automobiles Bhopal. While I was aware before making the complete payment that there is something sketchy about the Handling / Logistics charges and I did check out few forums, I couldn't get a satisfactory answer.

I found a court ruling and a transport dept notice discouraging the same, but nothing specific to my state, M.P.

Few people (on one of the forums) said that it is more like a company policy and it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer; some of them charge it, others don't. So I called up VW's customer care number 1 day before delivery of my car to clearly know the company's stand on this. Unfortunately even they couldn't give me any answer and kept dilly-dallying, promising me a call-back which, no points for guessing, never came.

Needless to say, I took the delivery the next day. As expected, dealer did not entertain my doubts about the handling charges, and neither was I too persistent. A cousin of mine is thinking about getting a VW for himself, and suddenly I am feeling an urge to clarify this from the company. If not a refund, at least I deserve to know where VW stands on this.

It would be immensely helpful if any of you could share some first hand experience or your thoughts on this.
Old 18th January 2022, 22:35   #389
BHPian

I’m not sure if anyone have any experience on handling charges by luxury brands.

Krishna Volvo at Hyderabad yesterday quoted a whopping 1 lak as handling charge for both the XC60 and XC90. The reason given by the SA was they are selling 15 cars a month to the previous 60 odd cars due to chip shortage and dealer is quoting this to make up the margin.

I’m very early in my car buying decision, so not going to argue with them at this time. But while the reasoning sounded reasonable, the amount quoted was atrocious. Not sure how to go about this if I decide to go ahead with a Volvo. Any pointers are appreciated.
Old 19th January 2022, 06:18   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
I’m not sure if anyone have any experience on handling charges by luxury brands.

Krishna Volvo at Hyderabad yesterday quoted a whopping 1 lak as handling charge for both the XC60 and XC90. The reason given by the SA was they are selling 15 cars a month to the previous 60 odd cars due to chip shortage and dealer is quoting this to make up the margin.

That's the most ridiculous reason I have ever heard for charging handling charges.
Why on earth should the customer compensate for the OEMs fault and slow sales? It's similar to an electronic retailer to sell an appliance for more than MRP because the sales have slowed down and they need to make up for lost revenue.
Ask the SA to give it in writing and take it up with Volvo India if you are inclined on Volvo.

Also this charge is illegal and can be contested in Court.
Keeping the RTO involved also helps.

Last edited by speedmiester : 19th January 2022 at 06:20.

Most Viewed