Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 19:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are "logistic" charges illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
Thanks Arajb & tsk1979.

My Dad has booked Maruti Wagan R - Lxi (CNG) yesterday with Maruti Suzuki Dealer in Faridabad. He has charged 4250/- as handling charges. I told him about Delhi Court order yesterday. SE told me this is not complete judgement. It is just Logging of FIR against Dealer and Company. Is this applicable in Delhi or all over India?
Dont tell as court order. Tell as order from transport department. Copy of it at page1. Tell them to give you in writing that they will charge this. They won't give in writing, hence you give it in writing that since this is illegal you won't be paying this charge. Let them force you to pay.

Do let us know the result then.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:05   #47
BHPian

Re: Are "logistic" charges illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Dont tell as court order. Tell as order from transport department. Copy of it at page1. Tell them to give you in writing that they will charge this. They won't give in writing, hence you give it in writing that since this is illegal you won't be paying this charge. Let them force you to pay.

Do let us know the result then.
Thanks Tanwaramit, Well the dealer has given a Booklet which like sales agreement between us and dealer (signed by both parties) in which he has mentioned these charges. We have planned him to narrow down it while making full payment on Thursday. We have just gave a booking amount of 10 k.
Old 17th March 2012, 13:09   #48
BHPian

Re: Delhi Transport Dept asks dealers to stop charging incidental charge

Update :

We had big argument with Sales Manger and Owner at Batra Auto. We even had Printout of all the news paper and other evidence which we had collected. He did not reverted back the Handling charges, but promised us that he will give us in written a statement of account regarding all the charges after two days. He said whatever charge he is giving are in line with Maruti Suzuki , they are not charging anything extra. We took the delivery of Wagon R from Batra Auto, will collect the statement of account from Dealer.
Old 18th March 2012, 06:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Pls file a complaint with Transport Dept - Delhi Government with all the copies.

It can be mentioned that the dealer flouted the notification as issued by the transport department.

Let them get into action.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:05   #50
BHPian

can this be used only for dealers in delhi? i am in the process of finalizing the price for my new swift in Mumbai, and the dealer has quoted some 5k for depot charges.

i am yet to get a breakup of the registration charges which might have more hidden extra charges.
Old 8th April 2012, 13:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Our Innova VX has arrived at showroom i.e. Narmada Toyota, Vadodara.
They are charging us Rs. 5000/- as handling charges.

Now is this rule of NOT charging logistics/handling charges applicable in Delhi only, or is it applicable countrywide ?

I am really not keen on paying that money.
Usually 8 cars in one container are coming to Narmada Toyota ( as per information given to by Narmada Toyota Employee ).
So 8*5000 = 40,000/- are earned per container.
I am strictly against these charges from begenning. And its not only this dealer, but almost all dealers are charging like this.
Old 8th April 2012, 13:58   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Our Innova VX has arrived at showroom i.e. Narmada Toyota, Vadodara.
They are charging us Rs. 5000/- as handling charges.

Now is this rule of NOT charging logistics/handling charges applicable in Delhi only, or is it applicable countrywide ?
As per my understanding this has still not come as a law. There is a case regarding the same going on in the courts in Delhi and only after that the law will come. Till then I doubt the dealer will waive it off, more so for a well selling car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 11:55   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Times (Delhi) 21 Apr 2012

Attached Thumbnails
Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too-htttt.jpg  

Old 21st April 2012, 13:50   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There should be a common MRP for cars and fuel across India like there is for all other goods. This, coupled with uniform taxation on vehicles and fuel will help the public no end!
Uniform MRP for cars should never be allowed as transportation cost of high value items such as cars is very high. A customer paying the same price for a Maruti in gurgaon as well as in chennai, or vice versa for hyundai would be very unfair indeed. It is as unfair as me paying 30% income tax on my income because maybe 90% of india's population do not pay any taxes. But after visiting Goa recently, uniform fuel prices certainly tops my wishlist
Old 21st April 2012, 16:50   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one thinks about it, so are the costs for freight of any other item too, including for example the food we eat or the clothes we wear. Same goes for luxury products like high end watches and electronics and so on.
Why should cars be treated any different?

An uniform set of taxes like VAT, Excise and Road Tax across all states would be a great first step, which will help in regulating the prices to an extent.

By your own yardstick about Fuel in Goa, why should a resident of Bangalore be forced to pay so much more for the same car/ vehicle/ fuel than someone sitting in an Union Territory like Delhi or Pondicherry or Mahe?
Why should UT's be treated differently to states and what gives states like Karnataka the right to overcharge consumers on everything in the name of "infrastructure development" and in the same breath, not give the citizens anything at all in return, in terms of the said infrastructure?

The same way, why cant rich farmers be taxed according to their landholdings and why the devil should agriculture be totally exempt from tax? Ridiculous! It would be better that they start taxing agriculture - atleast all those who swank around in fancy cars and live in huge houses while leaving the poor farmer alone. They could also reduce the tax burden on our armed forces and pensioners.
And some of the tax money can be routed to provide decent health care for everyone, in this regime of rising medical costs.

An average employee in a company gets a benefit of Rs 15000 which is tax free, for medicines bought during the year provided he is able to produce bills. Isnt this a joke in the current pricing environment when one may quite likely spend this 15000 on necessary medicines within one quarter including doctors consulting fees etc?

I disagree vehemently with this inconsistent tax and pricing policy that we are forced to live with.

Sorry to go OT but I feel strongly about this which is why the rant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitartha View Post
Uniform MRP for cars should never be allowed as transportation cost of high value items such as cars is very high. A customer paying the same price for a Maruti in gurgaon as well as in chennai, or vice versa for hyundai would be very unfair indeed. It is as unfair as me paying 30% income tax on my income because maybe 90% of india's population do not pay any taxes. But after visiting Goa recently, uniform fuel prices certainly tops my wishlist
Old 9th May 2012, 19:11   #56
Team-BHP Support

Maruti dealers are charging Rs.6,500 as incidental charges for Swift.

The on road price has Rs.1,600 for mud flaps and mats. Then they add Rs.6,500 for incidental charges and Rs.550 for number plate.

More than 8K for the above is unjustified. It increases the onroad price by 1.5%.

This is for bangalore.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:17   #57
BHPian

I have been considering to buy a diesel sedan. have been evaluating various options. Most suited based on my needs is Swift Dzire. But the most astonishing fact is that the dealer "Spectra Motors, Borivali" is charging me Rs. 6840/- as depot charges for Dzire Vdi.
I am told that Maruti charges Depot charges for all cars shipped from factory to customers.

No other brands are charging me Depot Charges except Hyundai, @ Rs. 2000/- for Top End i20. Which she offered to relook if finalise my choice.

The guy @ Spectra tells me that Rs. 6840/- will be displayed as a part of the statement of account which will be given to me when i take delivery of my vehicle. And it will not be in an invoice format. and will be on a spectra motors stationary. My question is if Maruti is charging Rs.6840/- as a cost of shipping the vehicle to me why is it not raising an invoice to me? Why is the dealer just showing this cost as a part of some statement of accounts.

is this cost legal? Please help

Quick Update -
Just got a call from the Spectra Motors Sales Guy.
Saying this is a cost of the dealer and Not MARUTI SUZUKI, and it cannot be waived off. We cannot issue a invoice to you for the same amount. We can issue a debit note.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th June 2012 at 11:35. Reason: back to back posts. use edit post feature if posting within 20 minutes
Old 14th June 2012, 11:41   #58
BHPian

Re: Why handling charge is collected from customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
Why dealers/company charge handling charge/transportation charge apart from Exshowroom price? Why can't they include it in Ex showroom price? What are the additional charges that are added to Ex factory price?
Now whether they charge it separately or include in Ex-showroom price, Customer has to pay in the end, all the costs that the manufacturer and dealer spend + their margin.
I understand that handling charges are Dealer imposed, who are responsible for transportation of vehicles from manufacturer's stockyard to their Dealerships. Hence, each dealer charges differently for handling, depending on the cost borne in this transportation (or their will). Also, included is the cost for keeping it in Dealer's place for a few days, few litres of fuel they put for taking it to RTO and back, and some when they handover the car to you, pay their drivers etc.
Well, if I am running a dealership definitely these costs would be charged back to customer. Whether I come out openly to my customers on this and provide a breakdown of all costs or simply give a lumpsum amount, is my way of conducting business.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelhemals View Post
I have been considering to buy a diesel sedan. have been evaluating various options. Most suited based on my needs is Swift Dzire. But the most astonishing fact is that the dealer "Spectra Motors, Borivali" is charging me Rs. 6840/- as depot charges for Dzire Vdi.
I am told that Maruti charges Depot charges for all cars shipped from factory to customers.

No other brands are charging me Depot Charges except Hyundai, @ Rs. 2000/- for Top End i20. Which she offered to relook if finalise my choice.

The guy @ Spectra tells me that Rs. 6840/- will be displayed as a part of the statement of account which will be given to me when i take delivery of my vehicle. And it will not be in an invoice format. and will be on a spectra motors stationary. My question is if Maruti is charging Rs.6840/- as a cost of shipping the vehicle to me why is it not raising an invoice to me? Why is the dealer just showing this cost as a part of some statement of accounts.

is this cost legal? Please help

Quick Update -
Just got a call from the Spectra Motors Sales Guy.
Saying this is a cost of the dealer and Not MARUTI SUZUKI, and it cannot be waived off. We cannot issue a invoice to you for the same amount. We can issue a debit note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyabhushan View Post
Now whether they charge it separately or include in Ex-showroom price, Customer has to pay in the end, all the costs that the manufacturer and dealer spend + their margin.
I understand that handling charges are Dealer imposed, who are responsible for transportation of vehicles from manufacturer's stockyard to their Dealerships. Hence, each dealer charges differently for handling, depending on the cost borne in this transportation (or their will). Also, included is the cost for keeping it in Dealer's place for a few days, few litres of fuel they put for taking it to RTO and back, and some when they handover the car to you, pay their drivers etc.
Well, if I am running a dealership definitely these costs would be charged back to customer. Whether I come out openly to my customers on this and provide a breakdown of all costs or simply give a lumpsum amount, is my way of conducting business.
I agree and respect the businessmans logic and way of working. But if this is the case it seems that Mr Businessman realised at last moment that this is an extra loss from revenue which needs to be tapped and HEY !! make the customer pay for it.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:55   #60
BHPian

I paid 25000 as handling charges to BMW dealer Deutsche Motoren, as per them this is governed by BMW India. I was only given a account statement sort of paper but no receipt for this amount. I additionally paid 5000 for temp registration (cost is 150) and another 3000 extra for permanent registration. It is sad but a fraudulent practice supported by car manufacturers themselves.

Most Viewed