Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 12:02   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
The tax calculated in my case for a Honda City on this works out to 60004/- The dealer has given a quote of 77000/- plus a Handling charge of 6742/-.
I have not paid this but paid a booking amount so far.
What recourse does one have?
Point it out to the dealer and seek an explanation. Also make it very clear that you would need a receipt for every penny that you pay. I did the same while buying my Sunny and the dealer gave me official receipts of every tax etc that they had in the price quote.
Old 25th October 2012, 19:57   #122
BHPian

re: Delhi Transport Dept tells Dealers to stop "Handling Charges" SCAM. EDIT: Telangana and Kerala too

Have spoken to the dealer about the RTO One time tax as well as Handling charges. The RTO web site says the tax is at 7% of the cost of the car. However the dealer says this was increased to 9% from May 2012 and that is why the tax is higher in their quote. The RTO and the Govt of Maharashtra have not had time to update their web site?

On handling charges, besides the registration they get done for you, some of it is for chai paani. If you have a tax worth 500, you may have to give 10 bucks to the officers, here it is over 8 lakhs, so the 'Handling' charge is 6742!

Can one even begin to imagine the extent of chai paani that one gets in the RTO? Why pray can this tax not be paid online like the elec or phone bills and transparency achieved? What is so difficult in getting a new car passed for use by the RTO?
Old 25th October 2012, 20:10   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have spoken to the dealer about the RTO One time tax as well as Handling charges. The RTO web site says the tax is at 7% of the cost of the car. However the dealer says this was increased to 9% from May 2012 and that is why the tax is higher in their quote. The RTO and the Govt of Maharashtra have not had time to update their web site?

On handling charges, besides the registration they get done for you, some of it is for chai paani. If you have a tax worth 500, you may have to give 10 bucks to the officers, here it is over 8 lakhs, so the 'Handling' charge is 6742!
If I remember correctly, the tax was increased by 2% for petrol cars, and 4% for diesel cars. Earlier %age for your car would have been 7%, now it would be 9%. A google search would have given you this info, why blame government websites (we probably need to be thankful, they are still up and online! ) Anyway, you would receive a receipt that should have the registration amount mentioned clearly.

As for the chai-pani info given by your dealer, it is hogwash! I got my car without any handling charges from VW pune, and I know of several others across different dealers/brands. If he doesn't agree, get it done yourself or by an agent. The latter will again cost you extra money, but atleast you know the situation forehand.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:20   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If I remember correctly, the tax was increased by 2% for petrol cars, and 4% for diesel cars. Earlier %age for your car would have been 7%, now it would be 9%. A google search would have given you this info, why blame government websites (we probably need to be thankful, they are still up and online! ) Anyway, you would receive a receipt that should have the registration amount mentioned clearly.

As for the chai-pani info given by your dealer, it is hogwash! I got my car without any handling charges from VW pune, and I know of several others across different dealers/brands. If he doesn't agree, get it done yourself or by an agent. The latter will again cost you extra money, but atleast you know the situation forehand.

I did visit a VW dealer. He quoted some 33000 for insurance for a car comparable to the Honda city. The actual amount of insurance is lower. Wonder what the difference is for.

Yes I can do the registration myself if there is a provision for the dealer to hand over the car to me to be taken to the RTO to be certified road worthy - a ritual really but a necessary condition. Then he has to do a Temporary registration and I take the car to the RTO.

Govt web sites not being updated for six months is shocking. A Govt web site world wide is the most reliable domain to look for information. However it seems I ought to have relied on newspaper reports instead.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:20   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did visit a VW dealer. He quoted some 33000 for insurance for a car comparable to the Honda city. The actual amount of insurance is lower. Wonder what the difference is for.
Easy answer - to fill his pockets. All dealers do that (increase insurance quotes). FYI - I did my own insurance, the dealer quotation was close to 180% of what I got on my own. Anyway, this is OT, I wonder why you brought that up.

Quote:
Yes I can do the registration myself if there is a provision for the dealer to hand over the car to me to be taken to the RTO to be certified road worthy - a ritual really but a necessary condition. Then he has to do a Temporary registration and I take the car to the RTO.
I'm not 100% sure of the process, but it is possible. During my car delivery I clearly argued with my SE stating that if there are any (hidden) handling charges, I'd do the registration myself (empty threat). He assured me I'd pay only what the receipt amount states. He also assured he'd help if I still wanted to do the registration myself. Didn't have to - there were no handling charges.

Quote:
Govt web sites not being updated for six months is shocking. A Govt web site world wide is the most reliable domain to look for information. However it seems I ought to have relied on newspaper reports instead.
Yes, you should, atleast for such common info. Nothing wrong in getting additional sources of information. Anyway, I was trying to help - looks like all that seems to be happening is (we are) getting into a needless argument. All the best, in getting your issues resolved.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:49   #126
BHPian

The problem ( I checked) is one cannot get temporary registration from the RTO if it is a local address (to take your car yourself there for registration).

One is looking for ways to have a transparent deal without cajoling the dealer. I appreciate your help, however I feel Govt web sites are supposed to give the correct info the world over and other sources can give biased information.

The VW incident I mentioned as I noticed a discrepancy there too. In my purchase the insurance is offered free and I have a NCB, so that is not an issue.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

Guys -only one comment to make. Read and re-read the invoice three or even four times, and question each and every item. Do not take the dealer's word for what is charged for road tax, registration, insurance. Talking about insurance, you are not bound to buy insurance from the dealer. You can arrange for your own insurance,. Just make sure you are aware of your rights. Also for road tax and registration, one feels okay with glossing over these amounts, but careful examination sometimes shows these are also inflated over what is actually transferred to the govt. After all, who checks? In today's world with so much corruption anything's possible.
Old 17th November 2012, 18:06   #128
BHPian

Dear Team,

I have a question here. Is this applicable only to Delhi or anywhere in India. Because recently I got a quote from Maruti dealer and he is quoting rs. 8700/ for Ritz ZDI in Chennai as handling charges. Please suggest how to negotiate that.
Old 17th November 2012, 18:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Dear Team,

I have a question here. Is this applicable only to Delhi or anywhere in India. Because recently I got a quote from Maruti dealer and he is quoting rs. 8700/ for Ritz ZDI in Chennai as handling charges. Please suggest how to negotiate that.
OPTION 1: Please reason with them that this is un-acceptable and that you wont pay it. Show them this thread.

OPTION 2: Do the registration on your own. I am not sure how this works out for a car. But I remember registering our bike on our own.
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:11   #130
BHPian

Renault Duster extra charges by dealer. WHY ?

Recently i decided to buy Duster and i went to the dealer to book one but i was very unhappy with the way they had added extra charges to price and made them mandatory too.

1. The ex showroom price on website for 110 rxz is Rs 11,60, - - - appx and on the dealer list it is Rs 11,65, - - - apprx a difference of Rs 5000
2. Then they are charging Rs 6000 for logistics
3. Rs 6000 for essential pack (matts, mud flaps etc)

All this is mandatory ie Rs 17000 over the ex showroom price. I called up renault helpline they say Extra Rs 5000 on price is for handling, then what is Rs 6000 for logistic, and why are customers being forced to pay for essential pack. The helpdesk person also said that the dealer will give you a bill all what is charges but then it does not mean you sell anything to customer making it mandatory, tomorrow they will say buy essential pack worth Rs 50,000

Even wrote a email, first they did not reply, so in second mail i said i will file a complaint on CORE so got a reply saying they will revert back but nothing after 3 days till now.

Can anyone share some info on these charges if i am ill informed about them. Is customer suppose to pay these or are they just at dealer's will.

Regards
Old 22nd November 2012, 16:24   #131
gemi_kk

Re: Renault Duster extra charges by dealer. WHY ?

Even i am looking out for some answers for the same question. Why do they want to charge more ? Yeah.. i know, its for the dealer profit. This car is already overpriced also the dealers have very good amount of marging on these cars. But still, Why?

I have the plan to drop an email to their customer care, but as you have already dropped, i shall wait for your reply in this thread. Hope you would update it regularly.

Rather than complaining Renault, it would be great, if we could complain it to some government body as we are sailing on the same boat.

PM me if required.

Old 22nd November 2012, 16:32   #132
BHPian

Tell them you dont want to buy the car. Since the car has more demand than supply the dealer is arm twisting you.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:27   #133
BHPian

This was happening in several pockets for XUV also. Dealers were insisting on insurance from them, some accessories etc mandatory. Some of the prospective buyers complained to Mahindra and brought to notice of Anand Mahindra through his twitter account. And it was solved.

Try complaining to Renault bosses and also on their Facebook page. If it gets enough attention, they will crack the whip.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:29   #134
BHPian

I got a call today from Renault they said they will call back again as they are working on it.

I wrote a complaint at CORE, sent some emails to consumer forums of my state, some to ministry of consumer affairs, but nothing till now, will keep you updated.
Old 22nd November 2012, 20:08   #135
BHPian

This is why Toyota is the best. You won't hear things like this from them or their dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks