Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:39   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is XA Alplha a blatant copy of a SSangyong SUV

I don't see it either. The Ssangyong has a little bit of Renault in front and a little bit of Swift in the pillars the XA Alpha looks like a more focused design. Remember it isn't a Maruti product. It's Suzuki and you must admit that all their new products are bloody good.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:39   #152
BHPian

The Ssangyong resembles the Evoque.
And IMHO the XA Alpha does not seem to be a copy of Ssyangyong.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:45   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naetik30 View Post
If it is true, I wouldn't be surprised. What else would you expect from Maruti?
No, it isn't true and please learn to observe cars more keenly before making such baseless statements. The similarities can be called mild at best, and are limited to the clam-shell roof, suicide doors(?) and blacked out A pillars, which incidentally happen to be quite popular and hence common design elements these days.

Apart from that, these two are as different as chalk and cheese, and I think the illustration below can clear the air for good.
Maruti XA Alpha Compact SUV : Auto Expo 2012-xalphaxiv1.jpg
AyAn! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:59   #154
Senior - BHPian

The looks are different for a critical eye - and either doesn't seem a copy of the other.

But the general SUV/crossover concept design philosophy these days is followed by both - coupe like body with rising window line and sloping roof towards the rear, aggressive wheel arches that bumps into the headlight area, blackened A-pillar. Hence the similarity. Even if you compare all the SUV or crossover concepts you have seen recently, (including those from LR) these similarities will be there. Whereas the Suzuki is more Jeep like in profile, Ssangyong is more car like

They are different, but not as different as chalk and cheese - it's just that designers are going with the flow of design themes and not thinking original
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:04   #155
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is XA Alplha a blatant copy of a SSangyong SUV?

Both are "inspired" from the Evoque.. Its simply natural

Is the news of Mahindra actually launching this SUV in India, real? if yes, when?
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:05   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
The Ssangyong resembles the Evoque.
And IMHO the XA Alpha does not seem to be a copy of Ssyangyong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
No, it isn't true and please learn to observe cars more keenly before making such baseless statements. The similarities can be called mild at best, and are limited to the clam-shell roof, suicide doors(?) and blacked out A pillars, which incidentally happen to be quite popular and hence common design elements these days.

Apart from that, these two are as different as chalk and cheese, and I think the illustration below can clear the air for good.
Attachment 1147395
Without any disrespect - I do not think the cars differ like chalk and cheese. But please do remember that when you have a copy - they cannot make an exact carbon copy for legal reasons. Hence the inspired looks. In this case, please do note the rear view mirrors, door handles, the roof, etc. If this is not an inspired copy, I wouldn't know what it?
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:20   #157
E63
BANNED

Blatant outright copy!

Maruti wouldnt be able to defend it in any court of law! (I'm a lawyer)
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:37   #158
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure who copied whom but there is definitely a close resemblance. Of course the front nose is very different on both cars but the side profile, shoulder line, way both door handles seem integrated, treatment of C pillar etc etc.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:15   #159
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

They both do look quite similar. (except from the front - but that is just a case of face design going as per the their own future family look) Both could be inspired from a common third vehicle though.

Would be good for us customer if both came to India through.

Last edited by ACM : 3rd October 2013 at 16:16.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:17   #160
BANNED

There is a difference between shameless copying and graceful copying. Nowadays, except Chinese manufacturers, all others try to do the graceful copying, or, the so called bench marking. In earlier days, manufacturers like Hyundai were doing shameless copying of others like Jaguar.

In this case, just remember that any car whose A-pillar is blackened will look like a Mini, and any SUV whose A-pillar is blackened will look like an Evoque!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:21   #161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti XA Alpha Compact SUV : Auto Expo 2012

Well copying is cheating whether you do it gracefully or shamelessly, ... isn't it @romeomidhun.

But, I do not feel this is a case of copying. Suzuki wanted a brand new small SUV platform which is modern, as well as rooted to/ resembling its Gypsy/ Jimny/ Vitara heritage. They made the XA Alpha... .

The A Pillar-less design would immediately make it resemble the Evoque & there could be n similarities with other SUVs but that does not mean we can take credit away, before it proves it worth.

I would request @Naetik30 to provide more analysis of his or someone else' study for the forum to reach a definitive conclusion.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:33   #162
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Well copying is cheating whether you do it gracefully or shamelessly, ... isn't it @romeomidhun.
Yes, indeed. I was not justifying anyone. My point is different - that designers have to use some of their creative ability in making the car unique at least in some aspects than exactly copying the 'parent'. I don't think all the designers in the world are capable of creating cars which are unique and good looking in every aspect.

But, at the same time, they should not go overboard also - Some made A-pillar black (Mini Cooper, Swift, Fabia, Evoque), some made B, C and D -pillars black (XUV, Xylo), and some others made A and C -pillar black (Yeti). Some made the entire top section black, while some made only the top portion except pillars as black (Vista special edition). Now, what these designers will do? There is not much left to blacken! So, in some way or other, the cars will be a copy of another.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:50   #163
Senior - BHPian

I think with the Evoque coming after Swift, its difficult to talk about inspiration with Mini being kind of inspiration for all these designs.
Hyundai should be blamed for this more than Suzuki.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:42   #164
Senior - BHPian

RIP XA Alpha if Rushlane is right.

Quote:
irst showcased as a concept at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo, Maruti Suzuki India was expected to show the production version of the same at the 2014 Delhi Auto Expo. But, the project has met some speedbumps and is not expected to be ready in time. The launch of XA Alpha compact SUV is now pushed further to 2015 or early 2016.
Read more at http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-will-...WKusaZ6gMP5.99
http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-will-...a-1295047.html
Old 8th November 2013, 13:04   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
RIP XA Alpha if Rushlane is right.

Here is a report on XA Alpha quite contradictory to Rushlane's - Cardekho reports,

Quote:
'Maruti may launch XA-Alpha based compact SUV by mid-2014.'
In order to perceive the real picture, we recently got in touch with a trusted source, which on confidentiality stated that the details of this SUV would be transparent around April next year, and the vehicle would come by the festive season.
The compact SUV will be made available in both petrol and diesel options. While the diesel SUV is expected to get the 1.3-litre multi-jet engine that does duty to the SX4, the petrol model will get the 1.6-litre engine.
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...2014-11652.htm

But IMO, the launch would be in 2015 - but knowing Maruti , hope they could surprise with the 2014 launch.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2013 at 13:07.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks