Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 20:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti XA Alpha Compact SUV : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am pretty sure, this is far far from an actual production vehicle. Its a poor copy paste job from various manufacturers.

Really this hardly tells anything about what to expect in read world terms.
completely agree...from every different angle you look at it you get reminded of a different manufacturer, maybe being jack of all trades is better than being Master of one..
Old 5th January 2012, 20:54   #77
Senior - BHPian

Comeon guys!! This is only a concept. Take a breather

Where have you in the world seen concept cars looking like production unit?

You never know whether these concepts will be pursued? There have been innumerous concepts that have been showcased and then dusted and thrown into the sea.

Let us first confirm that MSIL is serious enough to pursue such concept and get a scoop of the production unit.

The look might differ/ the grill might differ

So guys just relax

Where in the world did i see a ORVM there?

The concept itself is not a eye grabber and is not worth all these pages of discussion.

The onlything that grabbed my eye was the PYT in the 6th and last picture. Any idea what that concept is called?

Last edited by geeash : 5th January 2012 at 20:59.
geeash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 21:10   #78
BHPian

I pray that this remains a concept . Looks like MSIL gave parts of their existing cars to some hot rod shop and suggested add some bling and return it in a month for the Auto Expo. I already feel claustrophobic seeing those windows
Old 5th January 2012, 21:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Comeon guys!! This is only a concept. Take a breather

Where have you in the world seen concept cars looking like production unit?

You never know whether these concepts will be pursued? There have been innumerous concepts that have been showcased and then dusted and thrown into the sea.

Let us first confirm that MSIL is serious enough to pursue such concept and get a scoop of the production unit.

The look might differ/ the grill might differ

So guys just relax

Where in the world did i see a ORVM there?

The concept itself is not a eye grabber and is not worth all these pages of discussion.

The onlything that grabbed my eye was the PYT in the 6th and last picture. Any idea what that concept is called?
absolutely right. This is a concept to gauge consumer interest and take feedback. I am sure if this is pursued there will be several changes that will be made based on the feedback. To maruti's credit, the production version of this may be a hit simply because the concept looks ugly, while the earlier concepts like Kizashi and A star looked great, while the production versions not so .
Old 6th January 2012, 00:43   #80
BHPian

Kia's Soul + Evoque's stance + Swift's side profile + Hint of Jimny grille = XA alpha

Even the name is "inspired" from Toyota Xa.

Production version will be a success, i guess if priced @ Duster-EcoSport territory.
Old 6th January 2012, 01:53   #81
Senior - BHPian

I saw it at the Expo and i was like this looks like a Hyundai Job !! Its a ripoff of the Evoque !
Old 6th January 2012, 03:12   #82
Team-BHP Support

I'd like to believe that Suzuki were going for something that looks like the Swift, and has some of the Jimny's design elements in it as well, and incidentally, it happens to look like the Evoque. I wouldn't say that it's a blatant copy, although you can see the resemblance. Suzuki isn't really known to 'copy' designs anyway.

And this mini-SUV at the Expo is just a little glimpse of what we would get in the future. Expected it to be heavily tweaked by the time it hits production. No chance of it looking like that, for sure. And somehow, I hope it doesn't either.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:26   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd like to believe that Suzuki were going for something that looks like the Swift, and has some of the Jimny's design elements in it as well, and incidentally, it happens to look like the Evoque. I wouldn't say that it's a blatant copy, although you can see the resemblance. Suzuki isn't really known to 'copy' designs anyway.
Well, I guess this is a safe route adopted by Suzuki in designing a successful model. Not a blatant copy, but an inspired version. First the Swift, and now this one
Old 6th January 2012, 09:54   #84
BHPian

MSIL is losing out big time, IMHO. Now with hatchback arena getting extremely competitive, their margins will suffer. And their foray into premium segment is not upto the mark. The concept SUV is not worth a second glance.
Old 6th January 2012, 10:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

I wont say its a copy, but has similarities between Kia Soul and Evoque apart from their own Swift! This is just a concept and Suzuki's actual car hardly resembles to what they conceptualize.

Remember Kizashi 3, R3 and A-Star concept?
Old 6th January 2012, 10:32   #86
BHPian

Definitely a hastily put up job. Hope it will pale with the unveiling of Ertiga.

But if they are serious, and launch it with Diesel, it will also become one with a waiting list along side the 'fat, pregnant, buffalo' (courtesy: tsk1979), the D'zire!
Old 6th January 2012, 10:47   #87
BHPian

XA failed to tickle my fancy too. My feeling is, when this will hit production it'll only carry curves from the concept version. Those nice looking LEDs (yeah!! I really liked them) will be replaced with funny (bland?) looking head and tail lights with no attention to detail.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:23   #88
BHPian

I welcome this move from Maruti to test the waters with a concept mini-SUV. The XUV 500's run away success and everyone waiting for Ecosport and Duster has actually triggered an initiative from the India's largest car manufacturer. We should not forget that SX4 is originally an SUV platform on which Maruti built the car because Maruti also felt that there is a strong need for SUV behavior on Indian roads.

I have been discussing this with my couple of my friends nearly 1 year back what about the SUV future in India. I was suggesting that Maruti should really consider creating a mini-pajero (diesel, looks and performance) from the Gypsy base by using the DDIS engine. With that the pricing of the car, would be very much acceptable to market. I am not sure what platform they used for this XA Alpha.

Anyways, i am game to buy a car if it fits the following requirements
1) SUV class - High ground clearance, stability
2) Diesel version
3) Automatic shift and Cruise control.
4) Preferably a sub-10 lac (high hopes - does not think it is impossible considering that XUV can be managed in that range such a big 7 seater car)

Last edited by Tommie : 6th January 2012 at 11:26.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:30   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't mind the looks. But I really don't understand why Suzuki/Maruti doesn't care to upgrade the Gypsy to something modern.

Every car maker is flooding the market with Geldings.

Anyway, this too is off my list. I am not really looking to replace GV in near future.
You better not... since you see this is just a concept. as for the production, it aint happening anytime soon. Just that the management guys would want to keep people interested in a brand thats gotten RIGID with its course of time in the market and being the leader all that while has gotten something something in their heads about being INVINCIBLE.

Agree with you on the Gypsy, 20 years in production, still no power steering, no ac and it comes around 6 lacs i guess. the worst part is its supplied to the armed forces. we ourseleves supplying not up to date stuff to the people who guard us and then expect them to do all the stuff and sacrifice for us.

The upper management is a bunch of full SARKARI BUDDHAS who would hardly make an effort to get things working in the right direction. "COMPLETELY HONEST AND PERSONAL OPINION"
Old 6th January 2012, 11:35   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik_S View Post
Looks good IMHO. Wonder what the production version will look like.

On the Gypsy conversion running in parallel, I'd but a Gypsy if it had a diesel motor. A revamped Gypsy with the Fiat sourced 1.3 would definitely fly!
+1. I very much agree to this. This is exactly what market wants for the price range. The internal comfort of the SX4 and external looks of revamped Gypsy with the diesel engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed