Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 22:13   #1546
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Ford can "boost" Ecoboost's Displacement:

Quote:
Ford’s 1.0-litre, turbocharged three-cylinder EcoBoost engine could expand up to 1.5-litres in size with power in excess of 200bhp, and feature in cars as large as the S-MAX and Galaxy in the next few years.

Ford’s head of petrol engine development Andrew Fraser said: “We have a maximum capacity per cylinder of 500cc, so a 1.5-litre engine is certainly possible.

“In growing markets there are incentives for certain sizes of engines, so in Brazil they want a 1.0-litre engine, in India it’s 1.2 and in China it’s 1.5 – the EcoBoost engine could be all of those.”
Link:http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/61...ylinder-future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yesss! You are spot on. There is no replacement for displacement. The higher the cubic capacity, the merrier. I don't like these tricked-up tiny engines.
Totally Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I had a diesel Lancer, 2000 cc NA engine. The engine was always very relaxed. No huffing and puffing like these tricked-up tiny engines. I sold some months back at odo reading 2 lakh KMs.
Please put up an ownership review.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:29   #1547
Senior - BHPian

The introduction of the Ecoboost in India is still sometime away. The Ecosport will launch with the New Fiesta engines to start with. The Ecoboost is a part of Ford's Fox family of engines and these will be manufactured at their upcoming Gujarat facility.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:43   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The introduction of the Ecoboost in India is still sometime away. The Ecosport will launch with the New Fiesta engines to start with. The Ecoboost is a part of Ford's Fox family of engines and these will be manufactured at their upcoming Gujarat facility.
Are you sure ? That'd be really disappointing. All signs, so far, have pointed to Ecoboost availability at launch. Infact, Ford's site also only talks about the Ecoboost, not even the Diesel. Do you have reliable sources for this ?
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:09   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
This is not true. India and China will launch ecosport with Ecoboost engine. This is 100% sure.
Old 2nd November 2012, 13:27   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Yesterday, we were travelling from Chennai to Melmaruvathur when a white Ecosport shot past us. Man, it was proportionate from all angles and did not look like an outgrown hatch! Love at first sight! Our Tavera overtook the Ecosport with some difficulty. We were at a distance of some 10 feet infront of the Ecosport and I could already see through the underbelly! That was the kind of GC it had!! Wonderful.
For those who have not seen this car in flesh, all I would like to mention is that it is very proportionate when viewed from any angle, butchy SUV looks, same new fiesta interiors, snazzy front end treatment, sexy back and a healthy mill under the hood!
If you ask me, I would say that the FORD Ecosport will be a better and sensibe choice than the Duster and the Quanto!

Cheers
Wild Child
Lucky you !
Any pics of the SUV that you have spotted ?
Frequent spotting seems to give us much hope of a nearby launch (as expected ;latest by February) !
Pricing would surely be the key factor that would decide the fate of Ecosport in India !

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 2nd November 2012 at 13:28.
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:40   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Lucky you !
Any pics of the SUV that you have spotted ?
Frequent spotting seems to give us much hope of a nearby launch (as expected ;latest by February) !
Pricing would surely be the key factor that would decide the fate of Ecosport in India !
Hi Vishnu
No, I don't have any pictures of the Ecosport. However, for your information, it had the "scantiest" camouflaging done, revealing all the vitals! lol
The launch is around the date as you have specified.
I guess the cost of the top of the line diesel variant will not execeed 8.5lakh rupees OTR, ( I'm typing this with my fingers crossed. lol)
Cheers
W_C
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:58   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vishnu
I guess the cost of the top of the line diesel variant will not execeed 8.5lakh rupees OTR, ( I'm typing this with my fingers crossed. lol)
Cheers
W_C
I think that will be too good to be true. I think top end diesel OTR will definitely be 10+ lakhs, they might just slightly undercut the Duster!
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:09   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers
W_C
I too dont think this is going to happen.
If it does, it will end the Quanto story as far as private buyers are concerned. This car is going to be vastly superior to the Quanto in all aspects except the third row and probably the space.

Moreover even the classic touches 9 lakhs on road. This will be placed above it, closer to the Fiesta even perhaps. But for it to succeed, Ford should not mess up the pricing like they did with fiesta and should undercut the duster by good margin. Else in India where size plays a big role, the duster may run away with the sales.

I feel the top variant will be placed closer to 9.5lakhs OTR maybe even 10 lakhs.
Old 2nd November 2012, 18:20   #1554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs

I feel the top variant will be placed closer to 9.5lakhs OTR maybe even 10 lakhs.
I hope they price the diesel version with airbags and ABS below 10 lacs ex showroom Chennai. Since TN has differential road tax above 10 Lacs, this would be important. Renault made a dumb move IMO, by pricing the Duster RXL version just above 10 Lacs in Chennai - despite the fact it is manufactured right here in Chennai and the transportation costs should be lowest here.... and it is priced at 9.99 Lacs in other far away cities from Chennai !!! What was worse, the 110 HP RXL did not have airbags :>((

Hope Ford does not adopt the same skewed pricing strategy...
Old 2nd November 2012, 19:10   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra

I think that will be too good to be true. I think top end diesel OTR will definitely be 10+ lakhs, they might just slightly undercut the Duster!
Why am I getting a feeling it will be priced exactly, exactly as the top end diesel Duster minus the leather option
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:02   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Such a pricing would surely be something that can be termed 'killer pricing' . But I don't think that Ford would be able to bring in its little SUV to the Indian market at such a price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Moreover even the classic touches 9 lakhs on road. This will be placed above it, closer to the Fiesta even perhaps. But for it to succeed, Ford should not mess up the pricing like they did with fiesta and should undercut the duster by good margin. Else in India where size plays a big role, the duster may run away with the sales.

Anything above 10 lakhs won't be justifiable considering it to be a 5 seater and sub 4 meter vehicle.
My expectation is that Ford would price Ecosport diesel top end in par with Ertiga ZDi. Anything above Ertiga ZDi's price bracket won't make Ecosport VFM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 20:26   #1557
BHPian

Another test drive from Brazil and this is almost same with the review what we have heard from MAS. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t_drive/?ti=v3
Old 2nd November 2012, 21:51   #1558
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the launch.Will it launch with Ecoboost only or TDCI as well?Any ideas
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:59   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Eagerly waiting for the launch.Will it launch with Ecoboost only or TDCI as well?Any ideas
There is a huge audience in the form of prospective customers eagerly waiting for this American manufacturers little SUV.
There were speculations that Ford would bring in only the petrol variants initially. But the latest reports seems to say that the SUV would be made available in diesel avatar too .
It is also learned that Ford is offering 3 engine options on the EcoSport – 1L turbocharged petrol, 1.5L naturally aspirated petrol, 1.5L diesel, paired to 5-speed manual and 6-speed dual clutch automatic transmissions. The AT options may not come paired to a diesel engine.
Courtesy: Indian Autos Blog
Old 5th November 2012, 10:20   #1560
BHPian

Judging by the price in Brazil, I don't expect it to cost below 10 for a Diesel. Though i think it will be best for ford not to exceed 9.5 mark for the top end Diesel variant, even if that needs taking out the leather seats and SatNav. I find it a good strategy to launch a still higher model with all the nick-nack, and a higher price, later once the launch has been made with a good price.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed