Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 16:19   #1666
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

If the Sources which have been quoted here then we should go ahead and do the bookings
Old 27th November 2012, 16:31   #1667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Sure, the tax in karnataka is higher than other states but in other places with saner tax, 7 lakhs could be achievable, at least for the petrol base
This 'base' petrol variant. What will it be?

Will it be the EcoBoost engine?

No. Highly unlikely.

Will it have safety-features like Airbags and ABS?

No. Highly unlikely again.

So you walk into the Ford showroom and you're presented with the price-list of the EcoSport. You see that the base variant comes with nearly nothing. So even though you CAN buy it @ 7 lakhs (humoring), in all probability, you won't.

It's the same case with the Duster. You walk into the Renault showroom tempted by that amazing 7.5 lakh 'starting-price' and walk out with one less leaf in your cheque-book after having written nothing less than twelve lakhs on it.

What the base-price does is it brings the customers to the showrooms. Yes, there would be people who will buy the base-variant, but it's the mid-variants that are responsible for a big chunk of any car's sales.

My point is, the 'starting-price' is never a good indication of how much the car is going to cost, especially after you're done with all the formalities like road-tax, insurance, registration.

And I highly doubt the EcoSport will cost 7 lakhs OTR anywhere in India. You don't even get the mid-variant Swift for that price! The only cars you can buy in that price-bracket would be B2-Segment budget hatchbacks like the Liva GD, the mid-variant Sail U-VA, and the Ford Figo.

Remember one thing, underneath the EcoSport's skin, there is a Fiesta. Expect Fiesta like interiors, Fiesta like space and Fiesta like build quality and equipment. So naturally, you can expect Fiesta-like pricing. You could lob off 50k or, add 50k (whichever suits you) considering that the car comes with the the new EcoBoost engine and is under 4m in length.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th November 2012 at 17:29. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:39   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
What do you mean by ecosport 1.2?
Sorry, I mean 1.0 EcoBoost.
Thanks for pointing out.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 27th November 2012 at 16:40.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:00   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
It's the same case with the Duster. You walk into the Renault showroom tempted by that amazing 7.5 lakh 'starting-price' and walk out with one less leaf in your cheque-book after having written nothing less than twelve lakhs on it.

What the base-price does is it brings the customers to the showrooms. Yes, there would be people who will buy the base-variant, but it's the mid-variants that are responsible for a big chuck of any car's sales.
True but why only blame Renault for this "strategy." The VW Vento had everyone go gaga with a 6.99 lakh starting price - I don't know if anyone bought that variant.

In a starting-price fixated market like ours, Ford will be wise to play the same game. And they would have learnt not to challenge conventional thought after the flop of their loaded, and hence expensive, entry-level Fiesta.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:15   #1670
BHPian

Just going through the last few posts and the probable OTR prices for Bangalore, it appears like its gonna cost quite a bit for a sub 4m vehicle.
Like Suhas has mentioned, most customers would not be interested in the base variant of this car. So, at 10+ lacs its going to be a very interesting and tough decision to make.

Its like should i buy the best car available for 10 lacs or should i buy the best car that suits my needs for the same money. I am wondering which slot Ecosport falls in.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:27   #1671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
True but why only blame Renault for this "strategy." The VW Vento had everyone go gaga with a 6.99 lakh starting price - I don't know if anyone bought that variant.
No blaming here!

Of course, every company uses such a strategy. But what I've observed is that the Duster starts @ 7-8 lakhs ex-showroom and goes up to 14.5 lakhs OTR Bangalore. That is a massive bracket! And I believe it's all down to the number of engine options. You get two diesel engines and one petrol. Within those you get a range of variants and kit-options.

In the case of the EcoSport, we might get 2 petrol engines(?) and one diesel. So it's highly likely that the car's price will span across a 5 lakh bracket just like the Duster's.
Old 27th November 2012, 17:58   #1672
Distinguished - BHPian

Any thoughts on what the base engine variant will look like for Petrol? I guess the dilemma for Ford may be that if they use 1.0 ecoboost in the base, the cost goes up due to inherent cost of engine, while if they use the 1.5 litre engine from the Fiesta, the excise benefits are lost. The only alternative left would be the 1.2 litre engine from the Figo, but then that might be too wwak and possibly get rejected by the market.
Old 27th November 2012, 19:48   #1673
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

This 'base' petrol variant. What will it be?

Will it be the EcoBoost engine?

No. Highly unlikely.

Will it have safety-features like Airbags and ABS?

No. Highly unlikely again.

So you walk into the Ford showroom and you're presented with the price-list of the EcoSport. You see that the base variant comes with nearly nothing. So even though you CAN buy it @ 7 lakhs (humoring), in all probability, you won't.

What the base-price does is it brings the customers to the showrooms. Yes, there would be people who will buy the base-variant, but it's the mid-variants that are responsible for a big chunk of any car's sales.

My point is, the 'starting-price' is never a good indication of how much the car is going to cost, especially after you're done with all the formalities like road-tax, insurance, registration.

And I highly doubt the EcoSport will cost 7 lakhs OTR anywhere in India. You don't even get the mid-variant Swift for that price!
So naturally, you can expect Fiesta-like pricing.
I don't mean to sound of offending but in my city the swift costs an on road price of 6.7 lakhs for the VDi Trim.

As for the fiesta pricing. It was a mistake on ford's part not to localise it from the word go.
But the story with EcoSport is expected to be different. Localisation is said to start at 70 percent and increase to 90 over time. Guess that should give it a chance for good pricing
Old 27th November 2012, 22:53   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But the story with EcoSport is expected to be different. Localisation is said to start at 70 percent and increase to 90 over time.
Guess that should give it a chance for good pricing
Thats a good point. But only thing I want to understand, is if Ecosport and Fiesta share the same platform, then in that case
even Fiesta prices should come down due to this localisation. (Leaving out the Sub 4m benefit for Ecosport alone).

Dont know how there will be differential pricing on the same platform.
Old 27th November 2012, 23:05   #1675
BHPian

I think 7 lakhs OTR is unrealistic and ex-factory optimistic. Ford if anything tend to err on the higher side. Given the general pricing of cars in the Indian market that kind of sweetheart deal is fantasy, even if it is possible.

Give the Brazil pricing, and BTW Brazil is another rip off country like us, it will be 9.5 to 14 lakhs. Renault has given ample place to position with the recent price hikes, and I see ecosport coming in at 25-50k less across variants.
Old 27th November 2012, 23:38   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I think 7 lakhs OTR is unrealistic and ex-factory optimistic. Ford if anything tend to err on the higher side. Given the general pricing of cars in the Indian market that kind of sweetheart deal is fantasy, even if it is possible.

Give the Brazil pricing, and BTW Brazil is another rip off country like us, it will be 9.5 to 14 lakhs. Renault has given ample place to position with the recent price hikes, and I see ecosport coming in at 25-50k less across variants.
Ford definitely knows that wont work. If priced even or just little lesser than duster then it wont help. Reason, duster has better space, boot and ride.
Old 28th November 2012, 00:04   #1677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Ford definitely knows that wont work. If priced even or just little lesser than duster then it wont help. Reason, duster has better space, boot and ride.
Very true. The top end diesel should flatten out at about 11.5-12 OTR Bangalore max and not more.
Because that gives about 1L as a head room for Fiesta sedan.

The other point needs to be seen is about the 1.5L petrol engine versus 1L eco-boost. I am not very sure if Ford will offer both options in India.
I think they will go with the 1L ecoboost engine, as they mentioned earlier. But having said that, the question also circles down to what the
base pricing for an eco-boost would be from a technology and production point of view. Reverse calculations says 7.5L OTR Bangalore for
base version. So overall I see about 4L wide of play region for them.
Old 28th November 2012, 01:01   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Very true. The top end diesel should flatten out at about 11.5-12 OTR Bangalore max and not more.
Because that gives about 1L as a head room for Fiesta sedan.
I feel Ford will eventually pass on the heavy localization benefits to the fiesta when they launch the facelift! (Which should happen soon!!)
11.5 Otr (Bangalore)should be the max price for the ecosport because ford will not be the only ones in sub 4m suv category (maruti, gm..)
Ford should be able to price the ecosport well because Hyundai's top end 1.4 i20 is fully loaded(6 airbags sunroof....) & has an imported engine as well but is not priced atrociously for what they are giving. A 7 to 9 lakh ex showroom price will surely make this car a super success..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
other point needs to be seen is about the 1.5L petrol engine versus 1L eco-boost. I am not very sure if Ford will offer both options in India.
I think they will go with the 1L ecoboost engine, as they mentioned earlier. But having said that, the question also circles down to what the
base pricing for an eco-boost would be from a technology and production point of view. Reverse calculations says 7.5L OTR Bangalore for
base version. So overall I see about 4L wide of play region for them.
I feel ford may launch the 1.5p as base model and an at variant plus the manual 1l ecoboost because an auto ecoboost will push it right in the higher diesel variants price range.

This segment will heat up soon with other manufactures lining up for a fight so ford better not make them happy

Sent from my Razr.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 28th November 2012 at 01:07.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:32   #1679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I feel ford may launch the 1.5p as base model and an at variant plus the manual 1l ecoboost because an auto ecoboost will push it right in the higher diesel variants price range.

I do agree. But given the fact that they have invested so much on eco-boost, I was only thinking they may not delay its introduction any further.
(Maybe the delay of ecosport itself would have been due eco-boost engine apart from localisation of other parts. Dont know though)

Because, Ford is already moving all the 1.5 petrol models to 1L eco-boost, its possible eco-boost comes first for Ecosport and then the Fiesta face lift follows with it.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:10   #1680
Senior - BHPian

If EcoSport is launched as a sub 4m vehicle (by tweaking the bumpers and with the spare wheel hanging out over the rear, a la Quanto so that its additional length is not factored into the overall vehicle length), it is highly unlikely that it will come with a 1500cc petrol option as well as a 1-litre Ecoboost petrol.
Two Petrol engine options do not make good sense in India - where the fad for diesel engines is assuming crazier proportions every day. Also the moment you cross the 1200cc "lakshman-rekha" your vehicle ceases to be a "small car" according to our blessed Government's vehicle classification norms and you land up in a much higher tax bracket.

What i feel Ford will do is to have 3 variants of Ecoboost Petrol (with the top variant and mid variant also having the DCT option) and a 1.5 Diesel lineup, again with three variants.

1500cc petrol may be used for all Ecosport exports to South Africa where there are no such "size / cc" limitations
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks