Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 18:35   #1696
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

1.4 TDCi!! how much is ford going to save?? Isnt the current 1.5 TDCi similar to the 1.4 in tech?? I doubt it cost alot to develop and make this 1.5 .The 1.5 here in India is by no way modern.Whats the use of developing a 1.5 engine and not using it! This engine is made for India,in India so ford has to sell these engines and its not selling enough in the fiesta.

If the 1.4 had a vgt version which would put out better power figures than the current 1.4 then it could be justified but the current one will be too under powered for the heavier ecosport.

We should take the SA comments with a pinch of salt, they always mix and jumble stuff. I remember during the build up to the new fiesta's launch these SA were so sure about the 1.6 engines and competitive price and what happened then??

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 29th November 2012 at 18:42.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:07   #1697
BHPian

I think the 1.0 litre ecoboost engine is the novelty and anything else will just be to offer diesel options. Since the ecoboost gives the power of a 1.6 litre engine, there is just the need for one more option in a diesel engine. The old 1.4 duratorq has had its day in the sun. Recycling it in a brand new vehicle will be a bad idea. If one sees the diesels that VW has put in the Vento one will get an idea of what one has grown to expect. Again, there will be a re-think if the present talk of having hefty surcharges on diesel cars happens before the launch.
Old 29th November 2012, 23:14   #1698
BANNED

We all know what wierd things Sales Executive can say.
If Ford were to continue with the same 1.4 tdci, then they would have put it in the new fiesta as well.
If they feel the need for 90hp in the Fiesta, they will surely be working for 90 or more horses in a car that weighs 200 kg more than the new fiesta.
Old 30th November 2012, 00:03   #1699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer
I think the 1.0 litre ecoboost engine is the novelty and anything else will just be to offer diesel options. Since the ecoboost gives the power of a 1.6 litre engine, there is just the need for one more option in a diesel engine.
1.0 ecoboost is a petrol engine, isn't it? It won't help sales as much as a diesel version would!
Old 30th November 2012, 08:47   #1700
Senior - BHPian

I really hope the news about 1.4 TDCi is just a rumor. The EcoSport will really need at least 90PS and 204Nm.

And I don't think 2 diesel engines like the Duster will work either. Its not like there is difference only in the engine mapping and the turbo. We are talking about 2 different blocks here. And with 2 Diesel engines, the price of the variant with the 1.5 will really be up north and out of reach for most customers.

The fact that the EcoSport is the new Fiesta platform gives me hope.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:05   #1701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
I really hope the news about 1.4 TDCi is just a rumor.

The fact that the EcoSport is the new Fiesta platform gives me hope.
I have a possible alternative interpretation of the news.

If Ford wants to shock the market and grab a huge volume share, they could come in with an offer of an incredibly low priced entry level Diesel. If they are able to reach say a 5.99 Lac pricing on the entry level Diesel, that would make everyone sit up and pay attention. To achieve such a stiff price target, Ford would have to save every penny of cost it can. Now the 1.4 TDCI is fully depreciated in terms of the original capital investment on development, tooling etc. The way these miltinationals account for things, the internal "cost" of this engine would be significantly cheaper that the 1.5, allowing Ford to show a nominal profit on this configuration and with heavy volumes, achieve both overall profitability and market share targets. Heck, does the averge Joe kmow or care about the difference between 1.4 and 1.5? I doubt this will have a major negatuve impact on sales and for the more discerning buyers, Ford could always offer the 1.5 TDCI at a higher price point.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 10:46   #1702
vij
BHPian

Stop dreaming guys. 5.99L for an entry level diesel ecosport? Thats wishful thinking.
vij is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 11:24   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

I asked the salesman of the local dealer about the Ecosport release, and he said it would be in their showroom by Jan end. Deliveries are to commence from March, 2013.

But the dampener was that Ford will be using the 1.4 tdci that is there in the Figo, and not the 1.5 of the new Fiesta. I'm not sure if his information is correct, but he was firm in his views.

I also believe they are taking bookings now, with 50K as the deposit.
The test car that was @ ARAi had a 1.5L diesel. So possibly they may be hedging their bets & offering 2 engines. Does not make logistical sense. Wait till January.
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 11:52   #1704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The test car that was @ ARAi had a 1.5L diesel. So possibly they may be hedging their bets & offering 2 engines. Does not make logistical sense. Wait till January.
What normally Ford calls a 1.5 is actually a 1498 cc engine and would qualify for the small engine category. Ford is surely going to use the same engine as the Fiesta in the diesel variant of the Ecosport too.
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-screenhunter_22-nov.-30-11.50.jpg

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 30th November 2012, 14:33   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Ideally Ford India should launch this mini SUV with the same engine options as the current gen Fiesta i.e. 1.5 litre petrol and diesel. If you think about it, Ford is already assembling these here and at this point when the whole market is just so diesel centric, it does not make sense to invest in the assembly of a 1.0 litre EcoBoost engine. Sure the engine makes equivalent power as a 1.6L unit but what is the point since the turbo and other components are going to cost as much or may be even higher than a 1.6L. The only benefit is the excise duty but if you compare the investment and the number of takers for the petrol motor, the cost just may not seem worth it.

I do agree to an extent with 84.monsoon that Ford India may consider a smaller 1.4 TDCi as well along side the 1.5L TDCi and price the former more aggressively although 5.99L is definitely wishful thinking considering the diesel variants of this car would be starting at close to 10L (just my speculation).
Old 30th November 2012, 14:52   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Ford should launch with both diesel options, the 1.4 and 1.5, a low starting price with no features whatsoever will get the footfalls and conversions. No one here wants safety, unlike in the new Fiesta, Ford should abandon safety features and focus on bling.Beige interiors, music system and arm rest, safety should be left to the top end - 1.5D T+ version. The Duster hasn't suffered with this approach and there is no reason why Eco Sport shouldn't succeed.

Ford however is is no rush and hasn't comitted any dates to the launch, their planned launch is long time away and sometime in the second half of 2013 according to their(now former) India CEO.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:16   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!
Ideally Ford India should launch this mini SUV with the same engine options as the current gen Fiesta i.e. 1.5 litre petrol and diesel. If you think about it, Ford is already assembling these here and at this point when the whole market is just so diesel centric, it does not make sense to invest in the assembly of a 1.0 litre EcoBoost engine. Sure the engine makes equivalent power as a 1.6L unit but what is the point since the turbo and other components are going to cost as much or may be even higher than a 1.6L. The only benefit is the excise duty but if you compare the investment and the number of takers for the petrol motor, the cost just may not seem worth it...
The Ecoboost 1.0 will be later used in other cars too. So it makes lot of sense to add this engine & localize it as much they can in the long run, for better cost advantages.

And the news of 1.4L tdci is confusing me. Those guys who have been following the thread will remember that Mr. Boneham was tight lipped about the diesel option in any interviews about Ecosport. Till date I have been thinking why did he have to be silent if it was indeed the 1.5L 90 bhp version. I was infact hoping they might bring in a higher output variant. Now, when I seriously hope they do NOT bring in 1.4L, I kind of feel, they could offer this option in the lower variant alone for a better pricing advantage.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th November 2012 at 15:18.
Old 30th November 2012, 17:53   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari
We all know what wierd things Sales Executive can say.
If Ford were to continue with the same 1.4 tdci, then they would have put it in the new fiesta as well.
If they feel the need for 90hp in the Fiesta, they will surely be working for 90 or more horses in a car that weighs 200 kg more than the new fiesta.
Don't discount what they say, someone quoted earlier, and I'm sure by now that their sales team is being trained as we read this. I agree with the latter part of your post though.
Old 30th November 2012, 19:09   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak View Post
Don't discount what they say, someone quoted earlier, and I'm sure by now that their sales team is being trained as we read this. I agree with the latter part of your post though.
The dealership folks are giving different versions, here are the latest things which they told me

Diesel can be 1.5 or 1.6

Ecosport will 70-75k cheaper than duster .. when I asked are you refering 85 BHP version he said its for you to interpret.

I just hope Ford should not deliver a dud after so much of Hype/teasing
Old 30th November 2012, 21:21   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
So possibly they may be hedging their bets & offering 2 engines. Does not make logistical sense. Wait till January.
Possibly necessary to separate the Figo from the 'premium' products. (In which case also we'll never see a Figo with a Ecoboost and Powershift)

Some discussions about engines at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2958697

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 30th November 2012 at 21:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed