Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 13:17   #1756
HKS
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Just saw this link: http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...-that-9357.htm

It states India could also get the diesel automatic. China has got the same engine and auto. So, auto+ diesel + sub 4-metre means it could be cheaper than Duster?
Old 12th December 2012, 14:06   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post

It states India could also get the diesel automatic. China has got the same engine and auto. So, auto+ diesel + sub 4-metre means it could be cheaper than Duster?
I with this were true, doubt this news very much. China is Petrol market, I have hardly seen any Diesel cars there. Please read a report in Chinese media dated a couple of weeks ago (Nov 21) announcing the launch of the Ecosport. It is being released with a 108 HP engine, but that is the same Petrol engine from the Fiesta here in India, not a Diesel. The article does have some useful specs and other information.

http://chinaautoweb.com/2012/11/chan...port-mini-suv/
Old 13th December 2012, 08:16   #1758
BANNED

Just looked at Ford's China Website . There is no Diesel Automatic , as was speculated.
Also another point to note is that the EcoBoost has not been coupled to the PowerShift Transmission. Does that mean we will get an Automatic with a larger petrol engine.(i hope not, the price due to higher excise duty will kill the AT even before launch ).
The People of China are getting some great kit on the EcoSport. Sunroof, 6 Airbags, Leather Seats, Hill Start Assist, Traction Control, the Works! Hope that most of this also manages to reach India.
ANother interesting point is that while we know the Ground Clearance of the EcoSport to be 200mm(according to Ford India Website), the Chinese website mentions the Full load ground clearance at only 172 mm

For more information, Visit the the Ford China EcoSport website(Translated by Google)
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 08:53   #1759
BHPian

When is the Ecosport launching in China? They have announced all the features and trims already and looking at that, they seem to have atleast four 1.5 petrol trims and 1 ecoboost. I have a feeling, this is almost exactly what we will get. Add to that the 2 or 3 diesel trims and Ford has a very nice and long lineup to play the pricing game.

As someone else on the forum mentioned, the 1.5 ltr is actually a 1497 ltr engine and Ford should get subsidy on that also. Ford can position that as the model that will get the customers in the showrooms with an attractive catchline, Starts at 5.99 lakhs, and keep the Ecoboost for the higher variants.

I guess Ford can play this card right from 5.99 lakhs for base petrol to about 12 lakhs for the diesel top end with a 70k price difference between each model, give or take.

Last edited by sharninder : 13th December 2012 at 08:55. Reason: typo
Old 13th December 2012, 09:11   #1760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

As someone else on the forum mentioned, the 1.5 ltr is actually a 1497 ltr engine and Ford should get subsidy on that also. Ford can position that as the model that will get the customers in the showrooms with an attractive catchline, Starts at 5.99 lakhs, and keep the Ecoboost for the higher variants.
The 1.5 ltr limit for excise benefit is for Diesel Cars only. For a petrol car, the engine must be 1.2 Ltr or less to enjoy the excise benefit.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 09:13   #1761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post

No it doesn't.
Quote:
The EcoSport in India will be available with the 1.0-litre EcoBoost and 1.5-litre petrol engines and the 1.5-litre oil burner as well. The DCT will be available on the EcoSport in India, but it seems that it could come only on the petrol.
That would have been a killer proposition, though.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 09:17   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The 1.5 ltr limit for excise benefit is for Diesel Cars only. For a petrol car, the engine must be 1.2 Ltr or less to enjoy the excise benefit.
Aah, I didn't realise that. Thanks for pointing that out and correcting me.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:44   #1763
BHPian

Offlate , we are seeing a lot of adds regarding Renault Duster on prime time TV and today there was a half page add in TOI. Wonder whether this a sign of impending launch in the coming weeks of its rival ecosport. With over 3 months waiting and 5000 / month capacity , Renault feeling threatened by Eco sport Launch is giving more reason to wait for this ford beauty.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:49   #1764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The Petrol will have the New 1 ltr Ecoboost engine, which Ford says is as good as 1.6 ltr to drive and this is the one I want to try and possibly buy.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:04   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
The Petrol will have the New 1 ltr Ecoboost engine, which Ford says is as good as 1.6 ltr to drive and this is the one I want to try and possibly buy.
Me too, if it comes with double-clutch auto transmission. 1 litre being equal to 1.6 is good news indeed. No only will it be cheaper to buy, annual insurance permium will also be lowest of all cars ( premuim being least up to 1000 cc petrol).
Old 14th December 2012, 17:55   #1766
BHPian

Can Ford's Ecoboost be the National petrol engine (just as Multijet in diesels)?

People are already on their toes waiting for the Ford's Ecosport to launch. This would be the most awaited launch of 2013. People are busy speculating prices, the features, the engine options.

But the most talked about part of this launch is the 1.0 litre Ecoboost engine. These are the direct injection turbocharged gasoline engines from Ford. The ecoboost family has engines having various displacement like the 1.0, 1.6, 2.0, 3.5, 3.7 litre. These engines are known to offer more power and torque while increasing the fuel efficiency by 20%.

The Multijet engine by Fiat is already called the our national diesel engine, but the petrolheads will never be happy with the diesel engines. So can the Ecoboost be the national petrol/petrolhead engine?
chinmaybaikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 18:14   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can Ford's Ecoboost be the National petrol engine just like the Multijet in diese

Nice thread.
Ford Ecoboost certainly has the potential to become win the National Petrol"Head" Engine of the Year Award, (it won the 2012 International Engine of The Year award) , but, and it is a big "but", methinks, it will have serious competition from the about to be launched Volkswagen POLO TSi, which by no means is a pretty potent powertrain and certainly not to be sneered at.

Let's wait and see who wins this Octane War !
Old 14th December 2012, 18:27   #1768
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can Ford's Ecoboost be the National petrol engine just like the Multijet in diese

The cross company agreements/tie ups/development related to the Multijet engine made it accessible to quite a few manufacturers. Coincidentally many have setups in India (Maruti, Tata,Chevrolet, Fiat).

The Ford engine on the otherhand, does not seem to have such multi company influence.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 18:31   #1769
BHPian

I doubt if this would happen.

1) Ford will lose its novelty factor of providing fuel efficient petrol engine. This will affect their sales.

2) Will probably increase the cost of other cars sharing this engine, there by negating its savings in fuel.
Old 14th December 2012, 18:36   #1770
BHPian

This definitely is good food for thought. At least from international speculation, it seems tha t the EcoBoost will be a cracker of an engine. I definitely think both the EcoBoost and Twin-Air from Fiat have tremendous capability to become the national engine of India. But I just feel that with so much tech and turbo charging and bringing all of the infrastructure to India will make the engine quite expensive for other companies to buy.

I think there is a better engine that can actually be the National Engine. The K12 from Suzuki. It is extremely refined, has perfect combination of power, torque as well as fuel efficiency. If I would have been the Automobile Minister of India (If there's such a thing!!) I'd make it mandatory for all manufacturers to use this engine in petrol versions of all their cars!

And because the technology is already here and being built in abundance, it will be the cheapest option. Its just that this humble engine lacks the glamour of the EcoBoost or the Twin-Air.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks