Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2012, 14:36   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
3. Got this off the FB page of EcoSport

what is with the protruding center console in the rear? So, the fifth passenger should be 'strictly occasional'
I'm afraid you've got a picture of the previous generation EcoSport. The car that we would be getting is the latest generation EcoSport.

Here's a pic of the current car :
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-photo13.jpg

If you feel that the EcoSport would be cramped, based on this picture ( I thought the same too) , I would request you to not jump into a conclusion right now.

Take a look at this picture of the Renault Duster!
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-renaultdusterrearseatcompleteview.jpg

So lets wait to sit inside before talking about space here.
Old 30th December 2012, 14:59   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
3. Got this off the FB page of EcoSport

what is with the protruding center console in the rear? So, the fifth passenger should be 'strictly occasional'
Going by the AC vents on the dashboard and the internal door handles in the pic, it is the Previous generation Ecosport which had interiors similar to ford Fusion.
Have a look at the india bound 2nd gen ecosport
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-rear20seat.jpg  

Old 30th December 2012, 15:02   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post

Take a look at this picture of the Renault Duster!

So lets wait to sit inside before talking about space here.
Sadly the Ecosport seems lack good under-thigh support compared the Duster's seat which is more contoured rather than the flat bed looking Ecosport seats. The Figo also has similar rear bench and I'm not too impressed by it. Even the front seats lack good support in the Figo. Hope the Ecosport is a big improvement in at least that department.
Old 30th December 2012, 15:12   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
If you feel that the EcoSport would be cramped, based on this picture ( I thought the same too) , I would request you to not jump into a conclusion right now.
Thanks for posting this picture. Yesterday I had been to a ford showroom to test drive the New Fiesta (my 3rd TD of this car).
I spent a lot of time evaluating the rear leg room, the fiesta's rear leg room is the same as shown in this picture. I am sure the ES is not going to be different.
I found it to be cramped when compared to my Figo. My wife also had the same opinion. The rear ingress/egress from the fiesta is not the easiest, so expect the same on the ES. The third person in the middle will be cursing the owner all the way, firstly the tall transmission hump, then the extension of the storage space into the leg space, then slightly raised seat in the middle, and then the narrow rear bench.
Old 30th December 2012, 15:16   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Sadly the Ecosport seems lack good under-thigh support compared the Duster's seat which is more contoured rather than the flat bed looking Ecosport seats. The Figo also has similar rear bench and I'm not too impressed by it. Even the front seats lack good support in the Figo. Hope the Ecosport is a big improvement in at least that department.
Again, from the picture of the Duster's rear bench that I have posted (first post in this page), even the Duster seems to be too flat and bench like. So again, lets not jump into conclusions yet. Since the thigh support is hugely influenced by the H-point of the seating, I am hoping that the EcoSport would not disappoint us by virtue of its Height alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Thanks for posting this picture. Yesterday I had been to a ford showroom to test drive the New Fiesta (my 3rd TD of this car).
I spent a lot of time evaluating the rear leg room, the fiesta's rear leg room is the same as shown in this picture. I am sure the ES is not going to be different....
Hey Sansvk, But I am hopeful of the EcoSport offering better rear seat space, here's why -
1) The EcoSport has higher seating position as the car is much taller than the Fiesta (though they share the platform) so naturally your knee would be less crouched in the EcoSport.
2) The EcoSport has no sloping roof, like in the Fiesta sedan, which makes it impossible for the designers to maximise legroom ( pushing seats any further will kill the headroom ! )
3) The spare of the EcoSport is on the rear swing gate, thus no mandatory floor space required in the boot of the EcoSport. But Fiesta needs this!
4) I am hoping Ford would have learnt from its mistakes

Last edited by aravind.anand : 30th December 2012 at 15:24.
Old 30th December 2012, 15:27   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Again, from the picture of the Duster's rear bench that I have posted (first post in this page), even the Duster seems to be too flat and bench like. So again, lets not jump into conclusions yet. Since the thigh support is hugely influenced by the H-point of the seating, I am hoping that the EcoSport would not disappoint us by virtue of its Height alone
Never been in the Duster till now, hence can't confirm, but from what I can see from the Ecosport picture, the rear bench looks exactly like the one in the Figo (which I happen to own), and to put it mildly, it's not good.

And yeah, the Duster also doesn't seem to have good under thigh support as per the Tbhp official review, but from the pictures, it seems to have better contours compared to the Ecosport. Anyways that would not be a deal breaker since we seldom have people occupying the rear seats. However this endless wait is just frustrating. Just give us a date, Ford!
Old 30th December 2012, 17:32   #2032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2) The EcoSport has no sloping roof, like in the Fiesta sedan, which makes it impossible for the designers to maximise legroom ( pushing seats any further will kill the headroom ! )
3) The spare of the EcoSport is on the rear swing gate, thus no mandatory floor space required in the boot of the EcoSport. But Fiesta needs this!
Do remember that the Ecosport is much shorter than the Fiesta sedan. So the designers have the restriction of accomodating a rear seat with acceptable legroom and a boot that is atleast as big as a compact sedan within the 4m length, which makes it difficult to push the rear seats further even in ES.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:18   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Do remember that the Ecosport is much shorter than the Fiesta sedan. So the designers have the restriction of accomodating a rear seat with acceptable legroom and a boot that is atleast as big as a compact sedan within the 4m length, which makes it difficult to push the rear seats further even in ES.
Overall length may be shorter in ES but that has more affect on the boot space. it is the wheelbase which affects the space in passenger cabin which is crucial 35 mm more in ES than 2012 ford fiesta.
Old 31st December 2012, 10:45   #2034
BHPian

I have a question: In all the spy pics I've seen so far, the rear tire is exposed. Isn't it easier for thieves to steal it ? Shouldn't it be in a cover like the Safari?

Also an observation. On all the pics on the ford India's ecosport site, the wheel has a cover on it. Will we get that?
Old 31st December 2012, 11:00   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I have a question: In all the spy pics I've seen so far, the rear tire is exposed. Isn't it easier for thieves to steal it ? Shouldn't it be in a cover like the Safari?

Also an observation. On all the pics on the ford India's ecosport site, the wheel has a cover on it. Will we get that?
Like you have mentioned, since 'none' of the test mules we have spotted have this cover, I don't think the car would be launched with it.

And ford has incorporated a lock-nut to keep thieves at bay!
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportpowershifttitanium.jpeg

Personally - I love the butch stance that the spare wheel on the swing gate gives the EcoSport, and I hate that cover!
Old 31st December 2012, 11:09   #2036
BHPian

The wheel cover is pretty costly. Ex: Ford endeavour wheel cover costs a whopping 26000
Even though it might not be so steep for ES I don't think they will give it as a standard fitment.
They might provide one as a accessory at an additional cost.
Old 31st December 2012, 11:11   #2037
Distinguished - BHPian

As was brought out in the initial phase of discussions elsewhere in this thread, the cover might be given only for base variants which does not sport an alloy wheel. You wouldnt like a steel rim 'decorating' the rear of your ride. Would you??
Old 31st December 2012, 11:29   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Overall length may be shorter in ES but that has more affect on the boot space. it is the wheelbase which affects the space in passenger cabin which is crucial 35 mm more in ES than 2012 ford fiesta.
Just like how Fusion was more spacious then the Fiesta in spite of being shorter in length, even EcoSport could be as speciaous or even more spacious then the current generation fiesta, mainly due to the higher seating arrangement.
Old 31st December 2012, 11:56   #2039
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post

Nope the Tyre will not be easy to steal. Not having a Tyre cover lends the vehicle to more options for alloy and Tyre size upgrades with though having to bother about the cover fitting. Had removed my safari cover after Alloy and Tyre change.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 12:29   #2040
BHPian

Just did a quick math, with the backdrop of news that Ford dealer in nepal has mentioned that the Ecosport would be launched at ~4000000 Nepali Rupees.

Ford Figo in Nepal - 2299000
Same Variant in Bangalore OTR-608791

With this logic, the Ecosport's price works out to be ~10.59L. It is obvious that when they talk of launch price, they speak of the entry level version. This would probably put the top end to atleast 13L+
Closed Thread

Most Viewed