Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 14:06   #2506
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Figo hasn't got the best ride. In fact, it's quite stiff. Are people really concerned about ride quality? Doesn't look like it! If you price it right, like what Ford did with the Figo, your back might take a beating but the pocket will be pleased.
This is so very true! Everytime i tell my father about the bad ride in our Swift his immediate reaction is 'Its cheap to run, cheap to maintain'! The first generation Swift probably had the worst ride in its class but still was a Blockbuster car, so i don't think majority of the public is bothered about ride quality.

Coming back to the Ecosport, someone had posted OTR Mumbai prices(12 - 14.5 lakhs) for the Duster in another thread, now even if Ford were to price Ecosport 75k less per variant, i still feel both are overpriced !
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 14:42   #2507
BHPian

Getting back to Ecosport,i feel the launch will happen right after the budget is announced,it was the same scene when Figo was launched,Ford waited for the Budget to be announced and accordingly launched the figo with the price,Same fate will be of Ecosport,and i`m sure Ford will indeed come out with a killer pricing,else they would have launched the Ecosport long ago if they wanted to price it on the higher side
vineetg84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 18:40   #2508
BHPian

I was travelling in a bus from Chennai to Ernakulam yesterday. It was somewhere around 9 p.m., that I found a different looking hatchback like vehicle with a spare wheel on its boot, somewhere near Chengalpet. Suddenly, the images of the Ford Ecosport started to emerge in my mind. As luck would have it, I had a tough time taking pics sitting inside the bus, due to the bad lighting conditions inside the bus and the curtain ahead of me. Luckily, for me, I was sitting on seat number 1, and hence managed to take 2 vague rearside images of the Ford Ecosport.

I have attached the images. Kindly excuse me for the poor quality images.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ford-ecosport-1.jpeg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ford-ecosport-2.jpeg  

aveoman19 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 21:38   #2509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
....Coming back to the Ecosport, someone had posted OTR Mumbai prices(12 - 14.5 lakhs) for the Duster in another thread, now even if Ford were to price Ecosport 75k less per variant, i still feel both are overpriced !
My expectation is Ecosport will be loaded much better compared to bare bones Duster. That should increase the VFM proportion. At that price, with the same equipment levels (as the Duster), even Ecosport will be a disaster (for me). Just makes it another better looking car in the segment, nothing more.

Ford, please do offer ABS/Airbags in all the variants - that's what I LOVED about the new Fiesta!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:07   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ford, please do offer ABS/Airbags in all the variants - that's what I LOVED about the new Fiesta!
No they shouldnt. A lot of perceptions start based on the price of the base model.
They should tr and keep the base model as VFM as possible atleast to create a perception of low price.
Old 25th January 2013, 22:23   #2511
Senior - BHPian

New customized image of the EcoSport - from the Indianautosbog website.
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-customizedfordecosportjracedesigns.jpg
Looks really cool, especially the alloys. But I am not a big fan of the spare wheel at the back. Especially when I have such drool worthy alloys to show off
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:45   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post

No they shouldnt. A lot of perceptions start based on the price of the base model.
They should tr and keep the base model as VFM as possible atleast to create a perception of low price.
Nope. Safety should not be an accessory. It should be made available across all variants. Let people get used to this.
sbala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:48   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Even with ABS standard, Ecosport can undercut Duster. An ABS will add a max 20K to the ex showroom price. That would NOT make a huge difference on the starting price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Nope. Safety should not be an accessory. It should be made available across all variants. Let people get used to this.
When I read this, at-least they should offer it as "Optional" in base variants, if they choose to skip it. Standard feature (is what I hope for) will be Awesome to have!

Edit:: If they launch ABS as a standard feature across variants & Ecosport becomes a HIT, that will help change the market dynamics a lot. The competition WILL be forced to give it standard! Ford - DO IT!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th January 2013 at 22:51. Reason: Added "Edit" portion!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:51   #2514
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post

And let Ford get used to failure?

This topic was discussed at great lengths a few pages back. Personally i feel, it should always be available (at least as an option) on all variants but the prices need to be kept in check.
Eg: The Honda city with Airbags and ABS is good value in its base model.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:58   #2515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
And let Ford get used to failure?..
C'mon, how many of the bhp'ians think that the bad pricing of the Fiesta was mainly on account of ABS on low variants?! It had lot more factors like more equipment on base variant, low level of localization etc (which Ecosport has reportedly been worked on) ! If Honda City can make a VFM base variant with ABS standard, rest all payers can do it too! Just that they need to do a bit more ground work to keep rest of the factors in-sync to give a VFM tag!

Edit::

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
...Looks really cool, especially the alloys. But I am not a big fan of the spare wheel at the back. Especially when I have such drool worthy alloys to show off
You just need to take off the cover to show off the wheels! Nice pics anyway!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th January 2013 at 23:01. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 22:59   #2516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

And let Ford get used to failure?

This topic was discussed at great lengths a few pages back. Personally i feel, it should always be available (at least as an option) on all variants but the prices need to be kept in check.
Eg: The Honda city with Airbags and ABS is good value in its base model.
I am saying the same thing as you. Let the safety kits be available with all models in whatever forms.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:20   #2517
BHPian

When somebody decides to go for a mini SUV or SUV, I think the safety and drivability features should be given priority, because the speed can easily touch 150 kmphr with usually our family inside !.
In India, companies like Maruti has created a perception of low cost vehicles by removing all safety, whereas if you see the same maruti models, they go with 4 airbags and even pollen filter standard in export models [at same price]

For me it is very clear: If Im spending 10 L and above I expect these:
Must have features
1. 4 wheel controlled ABS [ This is is the best one, for eg from Bosch ]
2. Traction control [ slippery roads and rough terrain driveability]
3. Air bags [2]
and optionally
4. All wheel drive [this gives better efficiency nowadays than switchable ones ]
5. Cruise Control [ Driveability, good for long drives ]
6. Hill start Assist [ Will serve the purpose of holding the vehicle in those hair pin curves, and when u require to start from incline ]

All other gimmicks : key less start, rear sensors, rain sensing wipers, leatherite seats, directional headlamps, too many cup holders, Fog lamps etc are very secondary and could be managed even if not there. You can see these things for eg in XUV model, but they havent managed the chasis and safe driveability well, as required in an SUV. The point is , that requires good amount of automotive R&D, partnership with other technology houses. In India , people can be easily fooled as I said before, most of these SUVs are in 10,000 to 20,000 dollars range in other countries and they comes with all the safety measures with proper NCAP rating. So, I wonder why still people get trapped in camoflauged SUVs.

I wish Ecosport comes with all safety features standard. Else, I will go and buy a proper Sedan, isnt it ? I dont want another Sedan in SUV clothes for 12 L Rs.

Last edited by humveeguy : 26th January 2013 at 09:46.
humveeguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 09:46   #2518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeguy View Post

Must have features
1. 4 wheel- ABS [ This is is the best one from Bosch ]
2. Traction control
3. Air bags [2+]
and optionally
4. All wheel drive [this gives better efficiency nowadays than switchable ones ]
5. Cruise Control [ good for long drives ]
6. Hill start Assist [ Will serve the purpose of holding the vehicle in those hair pin curves ]
Its unlikely to have traction control included in a budget compact SUV.

Quote:

All other gimmicks : key less start, rear sensors, rain sensing wipers, leatherite seats, directional headlamps, too many cup holders, Fog lamps etc are very secondary and could be managed even if not there. You can see these things for eg in XUV model, but they havent managed the chasis and driveability well, as required in an SUV.
Care to elaborate on the chasis and driveability comment?

I respect your opinion, but for me, directional headlamps, rear sensors, rear camera, fog lamps are more useful features than cruise control. Even rain sensing wipers can be viewed as a safety feature because on a rainy day you concentrate more on the road than on the wiper speed control knob.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:51   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
When somebody decides to go for a mini SUV or SUV, I think the safety and drivability features should be given priority, because the speed can easily touch 150 kmphr with usually our family inside !.
In India, companies like Maruti has created a perception of low cost vehicles by removing all safety, whereas if you see the same maruti models, they go with 4 airbags and even pollen filter standard in export models.

Must have features
1. 4 wheel- ABS [ yes, this is is the best one from Bosch ]
2. Traction control
3. Air bags [2+]
and optionally
5. Cruise Control [ good for long drives ]
6. Hill start Assist [ No need of AT, but will serve the purpose of holding the vehicle in those hair pin curves ]

All other gimmicks : key less start, rain sensing vipers, leatherite seats, directional headlamps, too many cup holders, Fog lamps etc are verys econdary and could be managed even if not there. You can see these things for eg in XUV model, but they havent managed the chasis and driveability well, as required in an SUV. In India , people can be easily fooled as I said before, most of these SUVs are in 10,000 to 20,000 dollars range in other countries and they comes with all the safety measures with proper NCAP rating. So, I wonder why still people get trapped in camoflauged SUVs.

I wish Ecosport comes with all safety features standard. Else, I will go and buy a proper Sedan, isnt it ? I dont want another Sedan in SUV clothes for 12 L Rs.
This is going to be OT but as it relates to safety, I will go on.

In order to understand why so many cars are not equipped with the basic safety features, one has to understand the Indian mind set. Its not that the manufacturers are taking the customers for a ride by not providing safety features. Its the customers themselves who don't wish to go for the same.
Classic example in point the Skoda Fabia(After the face lift but before they re-branded their whole range). The fabia used to come with 2 Airbags on the base model but what it didn't have were power windows. Inevitably Skoda realized its mistake and had to remove the airbags and add creature comforts like power windows etc and this also resulted in a significant price drop.

Coming to the second point. Our government has also not laid down any mandatory requirement for safety features to be adhered to by the manufacturers. In such a competitive market as India where sure-shot models also fail to move out of the showrooms, why would a manufacturer risk its future by prooviding safety features and raising the cost of its product. However there are some exception's to this point:- The Honda City/Jazz has airbags and abs even in the base model and surprisingly the Maruti Ertiga(Diesel) has ABS as standard across the range and yes also the new Safari Storme(ABS standard)

About the point of Maruti creating a perception of low cost vehicles by removing all safety features. Well thats not a perception, Maruti does creat low cost vehicles because that is what the market demands. Just look at the sales of Alto over the years. But then again the segment that buys the alto is as much concerned with safety features as they are with the launch of the ecosport.

Finally coming back to the topic, regarding the safety features on the ecosport. Well Ford has two ways in front of them, go the figo way or the new ford fiesta way. They could either launch a bare bones entry level variant or launch a fully kitted one. The best way for ford would be as someone else said earlier on this forum, launch a basic variant and keep the safety features as an optional extra.
Old 26th January 2013, 10:36   #2520
KMT
BHPian

For anyone expecting ABS to be a Rs 20k option you may be in for a dissapointment.
I paid about Rs 50K extra for a Ritz VDi ABS above the VDi price.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks