Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2013, 02:37   #2641
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I would say the rule is bumper to bumper 'for the time being'!

I guess the rule was formulated assuming that bumpers would be the outermost body part at front and rear. It could be just a matter of time before the rule gets tweaked to address this loophole since such a car would still need around 4.2m space to park irrespective of what the spec says as length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
It is these sudden tweaking which gets the industry livid. But they have to grin and bear it.

Regards
Sutripta
Don't see it getting addressed any time soon. Besides if one thinks about it and visualizes a sedan or a hatch parked behing the EcoSport one would realize that it is actually the Rear Bumper that one would keep in mind while parking behind it rather than the wheel overhang. -- At least that's how I do it. Remember parking the my Laura quite close behind my Safari and that is also how the parking sensors worked for both the vehicles. Also remember parking the Safari in various parking lots such that not just the wheel but also bits of the rear bumper would go over the curbs.

So maybe the law is quite ok. The only case where it did not seem to work was when parking against a wall at the rear or in front on another SUV or Truck or Bus.
Old 7th February 2013, 04:19   #2642

think the 1L Eco boost petrol engine makes a lot of sense for city driving.. However, wont the engine run out of steam on long high speed drives, though we dont have much of them around.
Experts.. please advice
Old 7th February 2013, 11:30   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I believe "Economy" means "value for money (VFM)". VFM vehicles are a hit with indians. So let it be hatches (swift, dzire), UV (innova) or SUV (duster, XUV) we indians will buy them no matter how rich or middle class we are.
Sure we will buy economy cars. But we do not like economy tag. Most buyers are very status conscious. Remember Nano? It failed mainly because it was tagged cheapest car. Words like cheap / economy are not appreciated.

We have mopeds labelled as Majestic. Battered non-a/c state run buses are called "super luxury".

Last edited by pgsagar : 7th February 2013 at 11:32.
Old 7th February 2013, 11:46   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysdome View Post
think the 1L Eco boost petrol engine makes a lot of sense for city driving.. However, wont the engine run out of steam on long high speed drives, though we dont have much of them around.
Experts.. please advice
Don’t worry, it definitely won’t leave you wanting for more on the highway! Haven't you seen the videos of the Ford Focus with this engine breaking many speed records, already? Also, this engine is currently the most powerful one from Ford's petrol stable, rated at 120 PS. And the amazingly wide spread torque of 170 Nm ( the 1.4 TDCi makes 160 Nm of torque!) should not leave the customers disappointed for sure. After-all, it’s the International Engine of the year right?

And guys, why are we so bothered about the name now? Are we all getting so excited and restless about the EcoSport that we have started divulging into even the intricate details ?!

Last edited by aravind.anand : 7th February 2013 at 11:47.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 11:51   #2645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post

One of my colleague asked me whether the car is from Maruti. He thinks its Maruti Eeco sports model.. Damn frustrating...
Super lol. That's the average car buyer - masses.... the 90% of volume drivers. Car companies really have their work cut out... appeasing the masses as well as us enthusiasts here :-) I think the ecosport will do that well.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:09   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
One of my colleague asked me whether the car is from Maruti. He thinks its Maruti Eeco sports model.. Damn frustrating...
See. This is what I meant. Automotive knowledge of 90 per cent buyers is abysmal.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:30   #2647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Sure we will buy economy cars. But we do not like economy tag. Most buyers are very status conscious. Remember Nano? It failed mainly because it was tagged cheapest car. Words like cheap / economy are not appreciated.

We have mopeds labelled as Majestic. Battered non-a/c state run buses are called "super luxury".
Psagar, nano failed because it was CRAP. Not because of its positioning.

The EcoSport is a great name by branding standards (eco + sporty). Its a global name.

But naming is an individual preference. But I haven't heard of a car in India failing because of its name. I have only heard of cars succeeding INSPITE of the name! Wagon R for instance. Why in blazes would I be want to be seen in a car that looks like a wagon and is also called a wagon?!

Last edited by Red Liner : 7th February 2013 at 14:31.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:45   #2648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have only heard of cars succeeding INSPITE of the name! Wagon R for instance. Why in blazes would I be want to be seen in a car that looks like a wagon and is also called a wagon?!
We also have 20 lakh sedans named Laura which sold extremely well.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:50   #2649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Psagar, nano failed because it was CRAP. Not because of its positioning.
I am sure you would have your reasons for calling a Nano crap. I would also like to hear why you think so, though this thread may not be the place for that discussion.

In my opinion the Nano failed due to excess hype and over expectation. Something similar also happened to the New Ford Fiesta, but there I guess the pricing played its part as did the poor rear seat space.

I hope the Ecosport does not fall into either category.
Well, scratch that last statement. I dont really care so much if it works or not. If it meets my requirements, I will buy it. If it isnt I wont. Why should I care about Ford's launches, they dont pay me royalty if a product works well!

Last edited by selfdrive : 7th February 2013 at 14:51.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 15:12   #2650
BHPian

Ford china have announced the prices of Ecosport
The EcoSport is priced between Chinese RMB 95,000 - 130,000. This translates roughly to Rs 8.18 lakhs -11.2 lakhs.
Source link

This according to me is the most relevant pointer to the probable pricing in india.
Since Chinese version of Ecosport is longer than the one in India, we can expect the price to be a bit lesser than 8.18 Lakh here(My take is 7.5 lakhs for Base Petrol)
Overall i think they are inline with the expectations.

Also considering that the base Chinese model comes with ABS/Dual front airbags, I think they have a outright winner here.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 7th February 2013 at 15:24.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:16   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I believe "Economy" means "value for money (VFM)". VFM vehicles are a hit with indians. So let it be hatches (swift, dzire), UV (innova) or SUV (duster, XUV) we indians will buy them no matter how rich or middle class we are.
The only thing that matters the most to 98% indians is "kitna deti hain".
I think Ecosport is a perfect combination of economy & environment (needs) along with sport utility looks and usage.
I dont think that the name "Eco" will play spolisport.

Take the case of Hummer. The insect Bee humms. Bee is a small insect and it hums, still the name hummer sells. If name was a case, Hummer should have been Destroyer / blaster / puncher or something like that. We have a notable fan base for Hummer in india, even when the name is subtle.

Similar is the case with Ecosport. If the vehicle looks macho, priced well and runs realtively niggle free, it is a sure shot success receipe in India.

If name was important,

Fortuner should have been named Most-Fortunate
Scorpio should have been named Dinosaur
Indica should have been named America / Africa
Safari should have been named HimalyanMountainOdyssey.
Land-Cruiser should have been named Terrain Tamer

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th February 2013 at 16:17.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:28   #2652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I dont think that the name "Eco" will play spolisport.

Take the case of Hummer. The insect Bee humms. Bee is a small insect and it hums, still the name hummer sells. If name was a case, Hummer should have been Destroyer / blaster / puncher or something like that. We have a notable fan base for Hummer in india, even when the name is subtle.
hmmm - interesting fact

the hummer was a name derived from humvee. (like a beemer)

the original vehicle was called - High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) - and popularly referred as "humvee" by the US soldiers (guess calling the vehicle HMMWV everytime for reference must be quiet a mouthfull ). from humvee came the name hummer.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:43   #2653
BHPian

Just now got a call from Bhagat Ford that they are expecting a delay in the Launch of the Vehicle, hence they will be refunding the pre-booking amount.

Strange ..

Is it the case with other folks as well who have made pre-bookings ??
Old 7th February 2013, 17:12   #2654
BHPian

I was at Talera ford workshop (in Pune) last Saturday, and while chatting with the SA he told me that as per his information the launch has been delayed to April '13. He said that the training for the sales folks is scheduled towards end of February and for the workshop guys the training is in March. Don't know how reliable the info is, but since most sources are hinting at an April launch, I guess that's when the launch is most likely to happen.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:24   #2655
BHPian

As and when the launch takes place(hopefully latest by april 2013) i am sure most of prospective buyers will be contemplating whether to buy petrol/diesel and further to add to the confusion the ecoboost petrol engine.As per article on Motorbeam website its mentioned that turbochargers not necessarily provide better pickup and better fuel economy as claimed by the manufacturers,As per the article they tested the Ford fusion 1.6l petrol ecoboost engine against the old 2.5l regular petrol engine.According to the result the old 2.5l performed better both in acceleration as well as mileage,Only big players like BMW had better acceleration and mileage from they turbochargers than their normal engines,So one shouldn`t blindly buy the ecosport with the ecoboost engine till the figures of ARAI are announced officially,Also there is another thread regarding turbochargers in which it is rightly mentioned how expensive it will be to repair the turbo charger incase it fails out of warranty period.
here`s the article posted by motorbeam website

http://www.motorbeam.com/news/small-...uel-efficient/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks