Old 15th February 2013, 01:24   #2731

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Ecoboost engine ? 5 lakhs ?
I have huge respect for ACI and Hormazd but still I dont think it will be a case.
Probably not the ecoboost engine at that price. The Ecoboost and the Diesel, I assume, would be very similarly priced. By base petrol, it could be the naturally aspirated 1.6 engine in the Fiesta.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:04   #2732

Originally Posted by sameerg001

If it's around 5 lakhs ex showroom, sales of cars like, swift/i20 will go for toss. I am pretty sure, figure for base petrol will be near 7L mark.

But if it comes true ( which is IMO impossible ), I will buy 2 of them
At that price, the figo will take the biggest hit! Does not make sense to me. They will have to reposition their entire portfolio.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:50   #2733

Actually the news is not that surprising. Afterall, its a beefed up version of the Fiesta hatchback.

Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
By base petrol, it could be the naturally aspirated 1.6 engine in the Fiesta.
Yes, that's my guess as well. By the way, the petrol engine in the Fiesta is 1.5L.

Originally Posted by rohing View Post
At that price, the figo will take the biggest hit! Does not make sense to me. They will have to reposition their entire portfolio.
The impact may not be huge. Majority of Figo's sale is from the diesel variants, and this base price in discussion is for the petrol base variant of the Ecosport.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 08:01   #2734

Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee has predicted Rs 5 lakh price tag for the base petrol variant EcoSport!
This should be for the 1.5 l petrol engine with no power steering, power windows, unpainted bumpers, door handles and OVRMs. There wont be many takers and this could be just for their marketing purpose to show the base model cost only 5 lakhs.

Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Bookings will open by end of March and deliveries should begin by end May / June timeframe.
Bookings by end of march and deliveries by May-end/June is almost a 2 month waiting period for the ones who booked early. This leads to long waiting period for those who book at a later stage (if the demand is huge).
Old 15th February 2013, 09:29   #2735

Yes, that's my guess as well. By the way, the petrol engine in the Fiesta is 1.5L.
Sorry, my bad.. I was thinking of the US fiesta model when I typed it..
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 09:51   #2736

Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Probably not the ecoboost engine at that price. The Ecoboost and the Diesel, I assume, would be very similarly priced. By base petrol, it could be the naturally aspirated 1.6 engine in the Fiesta.
I seriously doubt that any base version will come with the 1.5l engine, for the simple reason that will push the pricing to another level because of the higher excise bracket. Any savings from using an older/less expensive engine will get negated by taxes.

Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
This should be for the 1.5 l petrol engine with no power steering, power windows, unpainted bumpers, door handles and OVRMs. There wont be many takers and this could be just for their marketing purpose to show the base model cost only 5 lakhs.
Can't blame them - its the way our market works. "Paanch-lakh ki gaadi hai jee." But I still don't think it will be the 1.5l.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:07   #2737

Originally Posted by StarScream View Post

I seriously doubt that any base version will come with the 1.5l engine, for the simple reason that will push the pricing to another level because of the higher excise bracket. Any savings from using an older/less expensive engine will get negated by taxes.

Can't blame them - its the way our market works. "Paanch-lakh ki gaadi hai jee." But I still don't think it will be the 1.5l.
1498 cc diesel WILL qualify for lower excise bracket, even though they call it a 1.5L engine.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:16   #2738

But I thought we were discussing base petrol version here. So diesel dont count anyway
dhanushmenon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 10:21   #2739

1498 cc diesel WILL qualify for lower excise bracket, even though they call it a 1.5L engine.
Please do look at the posts I was replying to - they mention the 1.5l petrol engine. No one was referring to the diesel.

Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
But I thought we were discussing base petrol version here. So diesel dont count anyway
Exactly, thank you

Last edited by StarScream : 15th February 2013 at 10:23.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 10:47   #2740

When the market cannot provide 1500/1600cc petrol hatchbacks at 5 lakhs then how come pseudo suv like Ecosport be priced that low ?
Even I dont think the base model would be so bare basic that it maynot have a power steering !
It shouldnt be either, keeping in mind that Ecosport will be considered as a technologically advanced vehicle and not a budget car.

And again I hope they dony plonk the 1.2 litre petrol engine from Figo !!
Old 15th February 2013, 11:44   #2741

If Ford is able to pull off a 5 L base pricing, it would mean it to be sweeping the COTY awards for 2013 & have Ford laughing all the way to the bank. Also not sure how will this then lead up to the pricing across higher variants (Ecoboost & Diesel).

The only way IMHO they can do a 5 L base petrol variant would be by plonking the 1.2 from Figo in this instead of the 1.5 that we have been hearing about as that would qualify for lower tax slab. This is already known to be under powered for Figo & unless they plan to remap it to make more output, would not make any sense as the Ecosport with the added heft would be left for dead by other hatches / SUVs.

Having driven the 85 PS Duster, it is a very sprightly engine & unless Ford wants to just play cost card here with Ecosport, which I personally find hard to digest. I think they would want to position it as a new & technologically advanced product as it goes head to head with Duster.

With Ford not giving out any details, the market with rife with speculation.

Hope to have some official news soon.
Old 15th February 2013, 11:47   #2742

Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee has predicted Rs 5 lakh price tag for the base petrol variant EcoSport!
Where has he posted this prediction? Can you please let us know the source?
Old 15th February 2013, 11:55   #2743

Ford EcoSport EcoBoost for India interiors spied in Delhi

Source: Rushlane

http://www.rushlane.com/ford-ecospor...r-1266275.html
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport-01.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport-02.jpg  

kopakabana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 11:55   #2744

Ford did a blunder by investing in the 1.5 Petrol New fiesta petrol engine. Whatever sells is the diesel.

Regardless of the 5 lac petrol pricing for the ecosport, diesel is the flavour
Old 15th February 2013, 12:09   #2745

Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Ford did a blunder by investing in the 1.5 Petrol New fiesta petrol engine. Whatever sells is the diesel.

Regardless of the 5 lac petrol pricing for the ecosport, diesel is the flavour
We are NOT even sure it will be launched in India. They probably are testing it for exports.