Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 01:58   #2776
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Well, we have been anticipating and talking about the Ecosport for such a long time, haven't we? I am not in the market for a new car, but the car looks interesting to me and can't wait to see it in flesh and get to know the price factor and other details. But however hard I try, I just can't imagine the car will be sold at 5 lakh, looking at the size of the vehicle.

My guess for the base petrol version would be around 6.5 to 7 lakh. Even that would just be an advertising factor, so that ford could say "starting from 6.6 lakh" and I don't think Ford would be expecting the base petrol model to sell in big numbers. Personally, I would be happy If I can take home a good diesel engine version for around 10-11 lakh.
Old 16th February 2013, 08:04   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
If the price is going to be under 6 L , then the engine has to be 1.2 with a basic frill one like Figo Lxi .. If Ford are going to do this, then this is a right move as per my thoughts, because it can make them to place the car across multiple segments and with attracting buyers from B+ segment to D segment
If that is the case, they might have to look at retuning the engine to generate a little more power. The 71 bhp 1.2L engine in Figo petrol is barely able to pull Figo. I can't imagine how it would fare with a much heavier Ecosport in its current state of tune.

IMO, I don't see any reason for Ford to add an additional engine option that is unlikely to be sold much anyway. Cost to test/homologate an additional engine wouldn't be that small I guess. Moreover, if they want to sell Ecoboost engines, they would need to advertise why Ecoboost is much more superior than regular petrol engines. After such advertising, who would buy a non-Ecoboost 1.2 petrol Ecosport?

With the almost non-existent base version of Duster starting at ~7.4L, starting price of even 6.5-6.75L would undercut Duster for which they can bring the Ecoboost.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2013, 13:14   #2778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
I don't know what stopped Ford from giving these interiors in the Ecosport than the one's they have given and this considering the fact that all three cars, Ecosport, Fiesta and B Max are based on the same platform and around the same segment and price points.
Well, it should be the cost factor. The dashboard layout for the Ecosport (lifted from the current Fiesta) is actually a 5-year old design. I feel the Ecosport will remain with the old interiors and the Fiesta may move later with the global updates.
Old 16th February 2013, 20:24   #2779
BHPian

Interesting to note that Carwale.com has updated Ecosport price range which now reads Rs. 6.5-12.5 lakhs. In fact Autos.Maxabout.com is betting on a price range of Rs. 6.25-10 lakhs. They have gone a step ahead and also revealed the possible variants with their pricing.

They claim 1.0 litre engine as the only petrol option with a base price of Rs. 6.25 lakhs which will not have features like alloy wheels, rear wiper, manual door mirror, buttons on steering wheel, airbag, parking sensors, fog lamp, EBD and ABS.

The mid petrol variant with a price of Rs. 8 lakhs will have all the above features while top petrol variant with automatic transmission is pegged at a price of Rs. 9 lakhs.

They also claim availability of only 2 diesel variants. Base diesel variant will be available for Rs. 9 lakhs and will have same features as that of mid petrol variant while top diesel variant with automatic transmission is pegged at a price of Rs. 10 lakhs.

http://autos.maxabout.com/cars/ford/...rt-petrol-base
Old 16th February 2013, 21:27   #2780
BHPian

Some with MPL ford in chennai... They say booking starts on March 4th... Any news or speculation on the different variants and their features? Tying to decide if I should buy the top end or mid level variant.
Old 17th February 2013, 00:08   #2781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
IMO, I don't see any reason for Ford to add an additional engine option that is unlikely to be sold much anyway. Cost to test/homologate an additional engine wouldn't be that small I guess. Moreover, if they want to sell Ecoboost engines, they would need to advertise why Ecoboost is much more superior than regular petrol engines. After such advertising, who would buy a non-Ecoboost 1.2 petrol Ecosport?.
A lower spec engine always sells, no matter you highly advertise the higher end engine. Kappa Vs Epsilon, CRDe V M2Di, K series Vs F series etc. This is because they are cheaper.
Old 17th February 2013, 00:30   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabraham View Post
Just received a call from my bank. My Relationship Manager has received the price list which is fresh off the oven. He says the prices are between 6.5L to 12.5L. However, the announcement from the bank will occur only in 2 weeks.
12.5L for the top end sub 4m SUV with a punny 1.5L Diesel is quite optimistic. Scorpio, Safari undercuts the pricing. The XUV & Yeti are not that Far away either. IMO 11L will be a fair price.
ANd regarding the eco-boost engine, it should never have been in the Ecosport portfolio. It would do a fine job in Figo in place of the pathetic 1.2L. Off course at no added cost.

Last edited by oxyzen : 17th February 2013 at 00:34.
Old 17th February 2013, 04:47   #2783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
12.5L for the top end sub 4m SUV with a punny 1.5L Diesel is quite optimistic. Scorpio, Safari undercuts the pricing. The XUV & Yeti are not that Far away either. IMO 11L will be a fair price.
I agree. I do not understand the pricing of cars in India (to be fair...I never did). For example, consider the price of a top-end Duster in Bangalore, it is about 20000 euros (Rs. 14L+). The cost of top-end dusters in the European region is about 14000 euros. The increase is more than 40% and this for a car that is manufactured in India ...read lesser costs for parts and labor.

Actually Ford should bring the top end model for around 10L on-road price and set the precedence. There is no comparison to the average salaries and the pricing of cars in India; I feel that average educated/working middle-class is taken for a ride. In my opinion top-end versions of all C2 segment cars should be priced under 10L On-road across the country. My suggestion Govt should put such a rule of MRP (Max Retail Price) on these cars

Last edited by shabash : 17th February 2013 at 04:50. Reason: Expanding the Acronym
shabash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 08:27   #2784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I agree. I do not understand the pricing of cars in India (to be fair...I never did). For example, consider the price of a top-end Duster in Bangalore, it is about 20000 euros (Rs. 14L+). The cost of top-end dusters in the European region is about 14000 euros. The increase is more than 40% and this for a car that is manufactured in India ...read lesser costs for parts and labor.

To quote @condor, pricing is never about VFM. Its always about revenue and profitability. Renault saw they could make a killing with no one around and they are laughing all the way to the bank. When they start feeling heat, they would start coming down. Don't expect any different behaviour from Ford too.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 08:28   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
A lower spec engine always sells, no matter you highly advertise the higher end engine. Kappa Vs Epsilon, CRDe V M2Di, K series Vs F series etc. This is because they are cheaper.
If we were speaking about diesel engines or a sub 5L car, I would have agreed. All examples you mentioned above are either diesel engines or petrol engines in segments where you don't have diesel option. So we are speaking about the engine choices for the primary fuel option here. For Ecosport, diesel variants would be the volume driver. So a second choice for diesel engine would sell but not for petrol in this case.

In India where the market for petrol cars above 5L is very small, only a few would be interested in such a low performing petrol mill. Enthusiasts would never go for a low performing variant. People who are willing to pay the extra fuel cost to get the smoothness of the petrol engine wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better engine. For the cost concious lot, there is always the diesel variant.

Last edited by zenren : 17th February 2013 at 08:43.
Old 17th February 2013, 08:35   #2786
BHPian

Quote:
I do not understand the pricing of cars in India (to be fair...I never did). For example, consider the price of a top-end Duster in Bangalore, it is about 20000 euros (Rs. 14L+

shabash: Completely agree with you. I too am not able to understand the pricing of cars in India with 40-50% premium than of Europe. Do car manufacturers in India face so much taxation issues for them to price it in such a way or is it a simple matter of demand and supply? Even with this premium, Duster is selling like hot cakes!!
Old 17th February 2013, 11:13   #2787
BHPian

There is a solution for that. Why can't the government make single point taxation, at the sale point, I mean let the car company price it with cost and their profit component and let the buyer pay tax like he pays road tax. That way we will know what is the real price for the car is. These guys will be exposed bigtime.
BTW ford ad today in TOI focusing on exchange mela. They are trying to sell their other cars as much as they can before launch of ecosport. Good strategy actually. Keep the brand visibility high before their crown jewel arrives.
Old 17th February 2013, 11:54   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prady16 View Post
Some with MPL ford in chennai... They say booking starts on March 4th... Any news or speculation on the different variants and their features? Tying to decide if I should buy the top end or mid level variant.
Every sales guy in MPL ford has a date to offer. You call another sales guy and he would say its on March 17th (i was informed so).

Nobody has any info on the dates. Ford has decided to keep everyone wait, others go for Duster.
Old 17th February 2013, 12:07   #2789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
ANd regarding the eco-boost engine, it should never have been in the Ecosport portfolio. It would do a fine job in Figo in place of the pathetic 1.2L. Off course at no added cost.
The EcoBoost engine will help Ford take advantage of the compact-car tax-provisions, i.e. small 1 liter engine + length under 4000 mm. The EcoBoost EcoSport may command a premium initially but I'm guessing the prices will drop in time, with increasing levels of localization.

Quote:
I agree. I do not understand the pricing of cars in India (to be fair...I never did). For example, consider the price of a top-end Duster in Bangalore, it is about 20000 euros (Rs. 14L+). The cost of top-end dusters in the European region is about 14000 euros. The increase is more than 40% and this for a car that is manufactured in India
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradyblr View Post
shabash: Completely agree with you. I too am not able to understand the pricing of cars in India with 40-50% premium than of Europe. Do car manufacturers in India face so much taxation issues for them to price it in such a way or is it a simple matter of demand and supply? Even with this premium, Duster is selling like hot cakes!!
It's like:

The market dynamics are massively different. It does not make sense comparing the prices of the same car sold in different countries. In the UK / Europe, the Duster is a VFM car because you don't get anything else in that price bracket other than superminis (hatchbacks), but here in India, there are roughly 4-5 segments of cars before you get to the compact SUV segment that the Duster has pioneered.
Old 17th February 2013, 17:01   #2790
BHPian

Good discussion on the fundamentals, I guess the Ecosport fatigue has set in. The primary reason for high prices of cars is taxation at multiple points at exorbitant rates as the powers that be consider this to be a luxury consumption rather than a mode of transport (never mind the poor public transport). My guess that the taxes would be on: 1. import of components 2. Excise on production 3. Sales tax in every state/VAT 4. Octroi in states of Maharashtra and Kerala 5. Registration and road tax - on the selling price rather than value of the goods, thus effectively double or triple taxation. This is contrary to any modern taxation regime of simple VAT or GST. Till we embrace simpler tax codes, state governments will keep milking consumers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed