Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 21:48   #316
BANNED

Heres the calculation according to you.

4250-405 for the tyre width = 4045 mm

But aren't you guys ignoring a fact. There is a small gap between the tyre and the boot where the spare wheel is attached. This gap is about an 25-30mm.

Updated calculation = 4045-30 = 4015mm

Also i think india will get a little bumper shaving so that the car comes to about 3995 mm and gets a tax subsidy.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:58   #317
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Ford ecosport will be around 4260 mm in length including the spare wheel and around 1970 mm in width.
Quote:

EDIT - JUST GOT AN UPDATE AND FORD ECOSPORT LENGTH WILL BE 4250 mm INCLUDING THE SPARE TYRE.
Just to let you know that Autocar has mentioned 4250mm but excluding the spare wheel which as per excise rules is not part of overall car length.

So the length as per autocar is 4250+spare wheel.

Also autocar have confirmed from Michael Boneham that the Ecosport will not be within the 4m length.

I think this will clear all doubts:

Ford EcoSport not a ‘small car’ - News - Autocar India
Old 24th January 2012, 22:01   #318
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639

Just to let you know that Autocar has mentioned 4250mm but excluding the spare wheel which as per excise rules is not part of overall car length.

So the length as per autocar is 4250+spare wheel.

Also autocar have confirmed from Michael Boneham that the Ecosport will not be within the 4m length.

I think this will clear all doubts:

Ford EcoSport not a 'small car' - News - Autocar India
Yes, i did read it but the info that i got today evening is that autocar is wrong. I am saying 4.25 INCLUDING spare wheel.

@others - please read the calculations in my post above this one.
Mustang.101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 22:41   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i did read it but the info that i got today evening is that autocar is wrong. I am saying 4.25 INCLUDING spare wheel.

@others - please read the calculations in my post above this one.
If you said ACI is wrong, it means that what Michael Boneham said is wrong and what Joe Hinrichs, President of Asia Pacific and Africa, Ford said is wrong.

Otherwise all are correct as on the day it was interviewed but changes are ON from now based on the below quote given by ACI:

"However, Ford is believed to be working on a sub-four-metre version by trimming precious millimetres off the bumpers, but it is very tight-lipped about this."
Old 24th January 2012, 22:50   #320
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk

If you said ACI is wrong, it means that what Michael Boneham said is wrong and what Joe Hinrichs, President of Asia Pacific and Africa, Ford said is wrong.

Otherwise all are correct as on the day it was interviewed but changes are ON from now based on the below quote given by ACI:

"However, Ford is believed to be working on a sub-four-metre version by trimming precious millimetres off the bumpers, but it is very tight-lipped about this."

I think michael took into account the spare wheel and answered the question because that is how we always measure the car's length ie. including the spare wheel if present.
Old 24th January 2012, 22:51   #321
BHPian

Here's a back of the envelope calculation that I just did using the comparo image on Ford's website, taking the new Fiesta as a reference.

Using the scale in MS Word, the length of the Ecosport image was 3.625 inches (Excluding the spare wheel). The length of the Fiesta image was 3.875 inches.

The Fiesta's actual length as per ACI = 4291 mm.

Therefore, Length of the Ecosport = 4291*3.625/3.875 = 4014 mm (approx)
This tallies with Mustang's calculation.

If this is true, then currently the Ecosport does not fall under < 4m. But some aggressive bumper shaving might get them there.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport-length.jpg  

amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 09:30   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post

If this is true, then currently the Ecosport does not fall under < 4m. But some aggressive bumper shaving might get them there.
From the pictures at least, it looks like the bumper is pretty much in line with the portion of the car above it. So will shaving anything off the bumper really help? Though of course 14-15mm is really not that much I guess!

With reference to the ACI interview mentioned above, the question is pretty explicit about sub-4 meter vs higher excise. Surely the President and MD of Ford India would know exactly what he is talking about!

Q: We understand that the EcoSport isn’t a sub-four-metre car, so you won’t get the excise benefit. How does this impact you?
Ans: We are going to find cost savings with high local content. This is a globally-designed vehicle for global markets. It’s going to be built in Brazil, Thailand, and here in India. For us, the proportions and styling were critical because this is an aspirational vehicle. We just wanted to make sure that the design was right.

Also, the point about keeping the dimensions inline with the outgoing model makes a lot of sense to me. Presumably this new version will also be sold in the Latam countries, and they would not want a model that has lost internal space as well as road presence.

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 25th January 2012 at 09:36. Reason: Added ref. to ACI interview
Old 25th January 2012, 09:54   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fiesta's actual length as per ACI = 4291 mm.

Thanks for carrying out that exercise. Though an approximation, it gives a fairly good idea about the actual length.

Quote:
Its some time now we have been speculating on the length (sub 4m or otherwise). Does anyone has an idea, how much difference would it really make in terms of price? I mean what is the excise duty for a sub 4m car & above 4m car? What is the base price on which thus duty is levied? Just wanted to get a fair idea whether the difference would be in 30K-40K range or above that.
Old 25th January 2012, 12:28   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Ans: We are going to find cost savings with high local content. This is a globally-designed vehicle for global markets. It’s going to be built in Brazil, Thailand, and here in India. For us, the proportions and styling were critical because this is an aspirational vehicle. We just wanted to make sure that the design was right.
Marketing speak for "too expensive." Is this going to be another Fiat-500 nonsense?
Old 25th January 2012, 12:32   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for carrying out that exercise. Though an approximation, it gives a fairly good idea about the actual length.

Its some time now we have been speculating on the length (sub 4m or otherwise). Does anyone has an idea, how much difference would it really make in terms of price? I mean what is the excise duty for a sub 4m car & above 4m car? What is the base price on which thus duty is levied? Just wanted to get a fair idea whether the difference would be in 30K-40K range or above that.

The difference is 22% for 4 m and above versus 10% for sub 4 m. So if the price is going to be 10 lakhs (assumption) . The difference will be 1.2 lakhs and that is substantial. Might as well shave the bumper or if it is already in line with the tyre mounting place then shave both of them.
ranc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 20:35   #326
Senior - BHPian

Spot On! I hate to say this, but this is following a very similar pattern that we have seen with the new fiesta earlier. With the launch date close to an year away, I'm not sure how ford is going to keep our interest alive in this product.

Mustang.101 - No offense meant to you mate, but this entire exercise looks to me very artificial. I understand you are doing your best to answer the queries/clarifications and keep the interest alive, but you were nowhere to be seen after the pricing announcement of the new fiesta in that thread. Again, nothing personal against you, please excuse if you think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Marketing speak for "too expensive." Is this going to be another Fiat-500 nonsense?
Old 25th January 2012, 21:00   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80

Mustang.101 - No offense meant to you mate, but this entire exercise looks to me very artificial. I understand you are doing your best to answer the queries/clarifications and keep the interest alive, but you were nowhere to be seen after the pricing announcement of the new fiesta in that thread. Again, nothing personal against you, please excuse if you think so.

I wasn't active on team-bhp on any of the threads during and after the fiesta price announcement.

Plus these days i only use team-bhp on mobile so i miss some threads. Examples being accidents in india, funny sticker thread etc.

Plus, i did not have much to say after the fiesta pricing. About 2-3 days back only, i came to know sugeeta and MAS bought new fiestas and i started following their threads on any issues that they might have.

And the launch of the ecosport is not a year away, i have told earlier that the company has set a target of launching it in october 2012, just before diwali.
Old 25th January 2012, 21:19   #328
Senior - BHPian

^^^
How about filling us in on the technical details. In detail. eg. I'd like to know more about the unbalanced flywheel.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 25th January 2012, 21:29   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
^^^
How about filling us in on the technical details. In detail. eg. I'd like to know more about the unbalanced flywheel.

Regards
Sutripta
Whatever i know, i am telling you. Unbalanced flywheel is a unique feature to this engine. It has been used to negate the effects of vibrations caused in 3 cyl engines when they are revved to higher rpms.

At high rpms, odd cyl engines, in this case a 3 cyl engine produces more vibrations due to a 2 pistons up and one down condition and vice versa.

Hence to counter this effect and keep vibrations as low as a normal 4 cyl engine from ford, the flywheel is unbalanced.
Old 25th January 2012, 21:40   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Just give the Ecosport a break by closing this thread and open it close to when the actual launch is. Else it's going to be just pages and pages of hype, speculation etc.

My two cents is that the word "SUV" or "Compact SUV" "Urban SUV" or whatever is being played up too much which might actually backfire when the car is launched.

Isn't this just a tall 5 door version of the Fiesta? I've nothing against this one but I'd prefer the standard 5 door Fiesta hatch at a sensible price with multiple engine and transmission options.

Or did someone figure out that it's difficult to price/sell the Fiesta hatch at 8 ish lakhs so offer this cross between a hatch n sedan n UV and people might fall for it.

Last edited by kiku007 : 25th January 2012 at 21:41.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks