Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 22:14   #331
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Marketing speak for "too expensive." Is this going to be another Fiat-500 nonsense?
I couldn't agree with you more.

If I remember correctly, the same words were used to describe the new fiesta!

I religiously followed the Fiesta thread - post by post, but once the prices were announced, I stopped visiting that thread altogether.

Last edited by Sergei : 25th January 2012 at 22:16.
Old 26th January 2012, 07:42   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei

I couldn't agree with you more.

If I remember correctly, the same words were used to describe the new fiesta!

I religiously followed the Fiesta thread - post by post, but once the prices were announced, I stopped visiting that thread altogether.
The word "aspirational" combined with SUV has me worried too. If this has more space than the fiesta (keeping in mind the width) then no way they will price less than a Fiesta.

I hope they don't bother with silly things like voice control and cruise control.

Also, a decently priced loaded version of the Duster would be out before the Ecosport, this may make the ecosport DOA.
Old 26th January 2012, 11:00   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Just give the Ecosport a break by closing this thread and open it close to when the actual launch is. Else it's going to be just pages and pages of hype, speculation etc.

I agree with you that this thread needs to be closed till the car is launched.
So mods please consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Isn't this just a tall 5 door version of the Fiesta? I've nothing against this one but I'd prefer the standard 5 door Fiesta hatch at a sensible price with multiple engine and transmission options.

Or did someone figure out that it's difficult to price/sell the Fiesta hatch at 8 ish lakhs so offer this cross between a hatch n sedan n UV and people might fall for it.
I think ecosport will appeal to those who need a compact suv with high seating position and good ground clearance.The fiesta hatch will have lower GC and lower seating position.
The fusion was seen by many as a hatch with high GC so the Suv image is very important.
If priced correctly,like 7-9 lakhs then it would really sell well but how the fiesta hatch will be positioned will be another worry.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:49   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I agree with you that this thread needs to be closed till the car is launched.
So mods please consider.
If the fact that the Ecosport is outed for discussion is a mistake, then the mistake is Ford's, not Team-BHP's. It is announced, and it will get talked about, even though many of us may agree that speculation is pointless
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 14:15   #335
Senior - BHPian

Michael Boneham maybe playing with the media and competition for an advantage. I hope so.

The spare wheel on the tailgate maybe for that. Or is it only to give length and bulk to a compact design? I hope not.

The EcoSport being under 4m is crucial. Ford has the engine side sorted with regard to the regulations. So I hope they will be able to trim the bumpers a bit like what Fiat did with the Punto and pass on the excise benefit to the customers or use that leverage to add quality materials and features to the EcoSport.
Old 26th January 2012, 17:40   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1
If priced correctly,like 7-9 lakhs then it would really sell well but how the fiesta hatch will be positioned will be another worry.
I don't think Ford plans to launch the Fiesta hatch in India. It will have to be positioned in the narrow space between the Figo and the EcoSport, and looking at the sales of the new Fiesta vs the old one, it wouldn't make much economic sense anyway.
Maybe they'll bring the Fiesta as a replacement for the Figo when its product life cycle is over overseas, they've made enough profits out of it, and just need to ship the old casts here. And market it as an apparently "value for money" hatch.
Old 26th January 2012, 17:59   #337
vij
BHPian

If Ford is terming this as 'aspirational car' then I think all of us can forget about buying this for less than 10L OTR.

Last edited by vij : 26th January 2012 at 18:15.
Old 26th January 2012, 20:35   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
3-pot motors are known to be a lot less refined than 4-pot mills. It's a fact.
Lower RPMs and speeds in such cars are fine, but when give it the beans, you can feel the lack of refinement in them.
Also, the characteristic rattle of a 3-potter completely puts me off. The EcoSport shouldn't suffer from the lack of power, because of the turbo. But will it rattle like the other cars with 3-pot mills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Whatever i know, i am telling you. Unbalanced flywheel is a unique feature to this engine. It has been used to negate the effects of vibrations caused in 3 cyl engines when they are revved to higher rpms.

At high rpms, odd cyl engines, in this case a 3 cyl engine produces more vibrations due to a 2 pistons up and one down condition and vice versa.

Hence to counter this effect and keep vibrations as low as a normal 4 cyl engine from ford, the flywheel is unbalanced.
Hi,
What exactly are the NVH issues in a I3 at higher rpms?

@Mustang: This engine has a 240 deg firing sequence?
A bit more of engineering speak, (and less of adspeak/ marketing) would be appreciated. Why don't you ask the Ford guys.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 20:46   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
What exactly are the NVH issues in a I3 at higher rpms?

A bit more of engineering speak, (and less of adspeak/ marketing) would be appreciated. Why don't you ask the Ford guys.

Regards
Sutripta
Supitra

I have driven a few I3 cars like the A-Star and the Fabia/Polo, and could hear and feel the clatter at higher RPMs. The clatter is 'felt' more in Marutis, I suppose. When I test-drove the Fabia 1.2 back in 2009, there wasn't much vibration. But the clatter was audible (even more so when the revvs are dialed-in) and the lack of power was apparent, especially when I had to resort to dropping 2 gears to climb a fly-over.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th January 2012 at 20:47.
Old 26th January 2012, 21:03   #340
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Let's not mix up power and NVH.
Could you please describe the 'clatter'? Why do you consider it to be a characteristic of an I3?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th January 2012, 21:49   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
I don't think Ford plans to launch the Fiesta hatch in India. It will have to be positioned in the narrow space between the Figo and the EcoSport, and looking at the sales of the new Fiesta vs the old one, it wouldn't make much economic sense anyway.
Maybe they'll bring the Fiesta as a replacement for the Figo when its product life cycle is over overseas, they've made enough profits out of it, and just need to ship the old casts here. And market it as an apparently "value for money" hatch.
I dont think ford will replace the figo with the current fiesta hatch because ford will have to redesign the whole car(too costly!) to make it look different from the current fiesta sedan,because the new fiesta sedan is just the hatch with a boot.

I think ford will price the Ecosport between 8 to 10 lakhs, have a single petrol model and two or three diesel ones. This will leave some room for the fiesta hatch to be positioned between 6 to 7.5 lakhs?, it will be a narrow space but they can make do with two petrol and two diesel models.

I guess the above wont happen due to various reasons like cost etc and also the Chennai plant is quite full and if at all ford decides to launch the fiesta hatch they wont be handle the demand for both the eco-sport and the fiesta hatch, which i feel if launched at the imaginative price i gave will do rely well.but no harm in dreaming!!
Old 26th January 2012, 22:39   #342
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101

Originally Posted by Mustang.101
Whatever i know, i am telling you. Unbalanced flywheel is a unique feature to this engine. It has been used to negate the effects of vibrations caused in 3 cyl engines when they are revved to higher rpms.

At high rpms, odd cyl engines, in this case a 3 cyl engine produces more vibrations due to a 2 pistons up and one down condition and vice versa.

Hence to counter this effect and keep vibrations as low as a normal 4 cyl engine from ford, the flywheel is unbalanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta

Regards
Sutripta
If you think what i told was adspeak/marketing then i am sorry i can not help you. The engine has been designed in england and i had absolutely no role in it and whatever i get to know i tell you guys and also i am not into designing/engineering ford engines.
I think it is better if i just dont post at all in this thread if you find my posts as "adspeak"

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 26th January 2012 at 22:50.
Old 26th January 2012, 23:11   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

"aspirational" is adspeak, or marketing-speak. Don't blame you for it, though: you are only passing on what you heard, and the insight is appreciated.
Old 26th January 2012, 23:17   #344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
"aspirational" is adspeak, or marketing-speak. Don't blame you for it, though: you are only passing on what you heard, and the insight is appreciated.
But i did not use the word "aspirational" and sutripta's last two comments have targeted me.

If you are taking this word that has been disclosed in a news article so seriously then you guys should watch the eco sport promotional video in which you would hear a senior ford official say "giving first time car buyers more choice"
Old 27th January 2012, 00:36   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But i did not use the word "aspirational"
Indeed you did not. My brain in a twist again: as someone else attributed to Ford, somehow I connected that with you. I was completely wrong. Apologies. Sorry.
Quote:
If you are taking this word that has been disclosed in a news article so seriously then you guys should watch the eco sport promotional video in which you would hear a senior ford official say "giving first time car buyers more choice"
Well, promotional material comes from marketing departments, and we all know to add a huge amount of salt to what they say and the awful language they use.

When they talk about what sector a product is being aimed at, though, it can be important.

Once again: sorry for wrongly attributing the quote to you.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks