Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 17:14   #361
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
We are not sure what we will get in india. As of now the car will be launching in manual transmission only followed by the dual clutch 3-6 months after the manual launch and this auto variant is still in the deciding phase as the auto box still requires extensive testing with this ecoboost engine.

Do you have the ear of the top management?. Do emphasise on them not to underestimate the Indian customer, as they did with the Fusion.

About 5 years ago I had a couple of email exchanges with the then head of marketing. (will try to see if I have the backups preserved). I had pointed out how they were loosing prospective customers to the Swift as they were not providing ABS & Airbags period. (even if you were willing to pay a good premium for that!). I had also indicated my willingness to pay a premium of Rs. 1 lakh over and above whatever price they determined if they provided ABS, Airbags & Autotransmission. He agreed with all my points but said they would rather err on the side of caution.

Now they are still erring by not bringing in all the features at one go. Actually the I10 & A-Star sell more that 20-25% in auto variants. An Ecosport with 4WD, all safety like ABS, EBD & Airbags & an Auto gear box will fill a large gap in the market waiting to be exploited.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:00   #362
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I really could not agree more.

This will if priced right, in Diesel Avatar, be the perfect little Gypsy Killer.

Even I had contacted someone in Ford in 2005 when they launched the Fusion - asking them when they would give us the Diesel variant with safety features at a fair price! No answer of course, unfortunately! This is how these manufacturers treat the consumer in general. No use ranting and raving beyond a point!

However, if FORD does indeed give us an EcoSport variant with all these features, then by the time the clods at MSIL get their act together with their XA Alpha or whatever, this EcoSport would have eaten dinner and had its post prandial "afters" too, in this market!

OT:
It is about time that the Govt of India makes it mandatory that all passenger cars produced and sold from say 2013 Jan or so, should have ABS, Airbags (atleast in front) and if possible, stuff like ESP etc. About time, we start taking safety seriously, given the higher speeds that we are all hurtling about at, nowadays!

I am certainly glad that w.e.f tomorrow morning it is absolutely mandatory to wear seat belts! I hope this rule gets applied to the back seat heroes also, very soon, as also, to all cities, towns, highways and byways in India. I also hope it gets rigidly enforced as well - with a nice fat 1000-2000 Rupee spot fine or something - because to get our people to follow rules, only the punishment route seems to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
An Ecosport with 4WD, all safety like ABS, EBD & Airbags & an Auto gear box will fill a large gap in the market waiting to be exploited.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st January 2012 at 18:04.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:07   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v

Do you have the ear of the top management?. Do emphasise on them not to underestimate the Indian customer, as they did with the Fusion.

About 5 years ago I had a couple of email exchanges with the then head of marketing. (will try to see if I have the backups preserved). I had pointed out how they were loosing prospective customers to the Swift as they were not providing ABS & Airbags period. (even if you were willing to pay a good premium for that!). I had also indicated my willingness to pay a premium of Rs. 1 lakh over and above whatever price they determined if they provided ABS, Airbags & Autotransmission. He agreed with all my points but said they would rather err on the side of caution.

Now they are still erring by not bringing in all the features at one go. Actually the I10 & A-Star sell more that 20-25% in auto variants. An Ecosport with 4WD, all safety like ABS, EBD & Airbags & an Auto gear box will fill a large gap in the market waiting to be exploited.
I think your concerns have already been heard with the new fiesta already having ABS, EBD and Airbags as standard in all the variants. And now a dual clutch auto gearbox is going to launch shortly.

I am a sincere believer that the new ecosport will also have these features as standard across all variants.
Old 31st January 2012, 19:43   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We are not sure what we will get in india. As of now the car will be launching in manual transmission only followed by the dual clutch 3-6 months after the manual launch and this auto variant is still in the deciding phase as the auto box still requires extensive testing with this ecoboost engine.
Thanks Mustang for providing some useful details on the car. But I have a question on the quoted line above. Do you mean to say that India (and Ecosport) will be the first markret to get this new ecoboost engine? Because I am quite sure that in developed markets, any of the small Ford which gets this Ecoboost engine will have an auto box as standard.

Edit: Not sure if this was shared before. A video from Ford UK website on the Ecoboost engine
http://www.ford.co.uk/FordInnovation...ology/EcoBoost

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st January 2012 at 19:45. Reason: Link added
Old 31st January 2012, 20:00   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got some interesting papers from england on the 1.0 L ecoboost.
Hi,
Pls. do share. Esp. if it is something in addition to what is there on Ford's site.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 31st January 2012, 20:38   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I really could not agree more.

However, if FORD does indeed give us an EcoSport variant with all these features, then by the time the clods at MSIL get their act together with their XA Alpha or whatever, this EcoSport would have eaten dinner and had its post prandial "afters" too, in this market!
And the irony of it is that Maruti have a ready made Mini SUV in the SX4 hatch with 4wd. Even with a 2L Petrol engine(though the existing 1.6L engine will be adequate!) & CVT Gearbox they should be able to bring it in for around 12L on road - a steal as the next price point is 20L - the GV.

Quote:
I think your concerns have already been heard with the new fiesta already having ABS, EBD and Airbags as standard in all the variants. And now a dual clutch auto gearbox is going to launch shortly.

I am a sincere believer that the new ecosport will also have these features as standard across all variants.
There is a wide market segment open for taking. Even if they have to borrow the transfer case & GB adaptor hsg. from the Kuga it will be creating a good product at the 12-13L price band. And I know, with my experience of components fixtures & tooling,that it will take only 7-10 days max. to design an adaptor hsg. Tooling design & manufacture can be done in 45-60 days. Only issue will be the statutory testing & validation timelines. Purely a matter of assigning manpower resources.

Frankly I am waiting till end of this year - for the Ecosport with all the required features or go in for a Second hand CRV.
Old 31st January 2012, 22:51   #367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Thanks Mustang for providing some useful details on the car. But I have a question on the quoted line above. Do you mean to say that India (and Ecosport) will be the first markret to get this new ecoboost engine? Because I am quite sure that in developed markets, any of the small Ford which gets this Ecoboost engine will have an auto box as standard.

Edit: Not sure if this was shared before. A video from Ford UK website on the Ecoboost engine
http://www.ford.co.uk/FordInnovation...ology/EcoBoost
India will be the first country to get the Ecosport. It will also be the first country to get the Ecosport with the Ecoboost engine.

You are right that in the west this engine will come with an auto box but as of now the west will get only manual 5 speed and 6 speed transmission.

Ford has revealed the focus 1.0 ecoboost in UK and the price is some where around the 16000£ mark and comes with only a manual transmission 5 speed or 6 speed.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:07   #368
BHPian

Saw this outside the NCR Ford Showroom at Defence Colony. Wonder how soon is it coming? Considering the website updates and the hoardings, shouldn't be too far away.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-forumrunner_20120202_160426.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2012 at 20:01. Reason: Rotating picture
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:19   #369
BHPian

I just posted about Testing being done by Renault Duster in Chennai some time back on the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...-2012-a-8.html

Seems like Renault and Ford are going head to head. So much better for us consumers.
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:01   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post
Saw this outside the NCR Ford Showroom at Defence Colony. Wonder how soon is it coming? Considering the website updates and the hoardings, shouldn't be too far away.

Attachment 881439

Mods - Request you to please re align the picture.

Ummm....what's it supposed to be in the picture?
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:07   #371
BHPian

^^
The banner and the ecosport standing besides Endy.
netarchie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 20:02   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
^^
The banner and the ecosport standing besides Endy.
Just the banner.

Thats a new Fiesta next to the Endy.

cya
R
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:00   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
India will be the first country to get the Ecosport. It will also be the first country to get the Ecosport with the Ecoboost engine.

You are right that in the west this engine will come with an auto box but as of now the west will get only manual 5 speed and 6 speed transmission.

Is the Ford B-Max the same as the Ecosport? They do look similar, going by the link below. If so, this is getting released in the UK in September.

5FWD - New Ford B-Max unveiled by Fifth Gear

Edit: They do look different on second inspection, but the large air dam in the front confused me. They do share the same engine however

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd February 2012 at 22:05.
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:12   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Is the Ford B-Max the same as the Ecosport?
No. B-Max is an MPV while EcoSport is an SUV. Yes, they do share 1.0L EcoBoost engine, so also will the new Focus (after one month).
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:20   #375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Is the Ford B-Max the same as the Ecosport? They do look similar, going by the link below. If so, this is getting released in the UK in September.

5FWD - New Ford B-Max unveiled by Fifth Gear

Edit: They do look different on second inspection, but the large air dam in the front confused me. They do share the same engine however
Same platform ie. same assembly line as the new fiesta and ecosport but the B-Max is more of a small MUV rather than a small SUV.

The body styles of these 3 cars is different even though the assembly line is the same.

Fiesta - small sedan (premium sedan in india but small in US)
Fiesta hatch - premium hatch
Ecosport - small SUV
B-Max - small MUV

The B-max has rear sliding doors for easy entry/exit and will have the same engine as the ecosport. However, there are no plans as of now to bring it in india.

The ecoboost line of engines is the future of all new ford vehicle launches.

So expect to see an ecoboost in almost every new ford car launched in the world.

*ecoboost engines are available in a variety of displacements. <- to avoid confusion amongst new readers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks