Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 16:29   #421
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

what india needs is a compact MPV like the Xylo mini. with the proposed pricing it will definitely take over a major share from the sedans . Unless priced right Ecosport will have the fate of Yeti, great products but not enough takers. I wish Ford bring a real "eco" sport based on old Fusion between 5-7 lakhs. can't understand why no options for wagon R and estilo likes from other manufacturers
Old 10th February 2012, 17:01   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
what india needs is a compact MPV like the Xylo mini. with the proposed pricing it will definitely take over a major share from the sedans . Unless priced right Ecosport will have the fate of Yeti, great products but not enough takers. I wish Ford bring a real "eco" sport based on old Fusion between 5-7 lakhs. can't understand why no options for wagon R and estilo likes from other manufacturers
1) Even if it priced correct I do not think Mini Xylo will take over major share from Sedan customers, but it will sure lure some 'hatch' customers

2) if priced correct EcoSport will definitely will take some share of sedan customers!
Old 10th February 2012, 17:16   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is nothing "aspirational" about a Fiesta in UK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Unless you are a 17 year old chav dreaming about an XR2i?
Exactly what I'm saying. Read carefully before you start hammering me!

But we're drifting off-topic. From the couple of first drive reports it seems that the Ecosport petrol will be a hoot to drive. Get the pricing right on this one, Ford!

Don't know if this video was shared before. J Mays previewing the Ecosport. This gives us a much better look at the car.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 20:13   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if the 56.6 miles/gallon figure is from a UK publication, the FE in Kmpl will be 20.

I guess the 24 Kmpl figure was incorrectly arrived at by considering the US gallon which is ~ 3.7 litres instead of using the British gallon which is 4.546 litres.
Thanks for the correction Sergie, my mistake. I had inadvertently used the US gallon instead of the British gallon for the calculation --> Fuel Economy conversion online.
Old 14th February 2012, 19:44   #425
BANNED

EXCITING NEWS: its about the ecoboost 1.0 engine.

Today we were shown a "company employee only" video. It was pretty short but here are the main points

1. This engine will be the replacement for all ford petrol engines of displacement 1.6L or less and production shall be carried out in multiple plants across the world amongst them are plants in germany, UK, Romania, Russia, India, Brazil and many others.

2. Refinement and quietness : It is the most refined petrol engine in comparison to any of the ford petrol engines of 1.6L or less. NVH levels are the lowest amongst any ford petrol engines that you have driven. Also the quietest engine ever produced by ford. All thanks to the unbalanced flywheel and specialized engine mounts.

3. Responsiveness and drivability : Much better than a 1.6 ford petrol motor (which as classic owners know is pretty responsive). Better throttle response and easier overtaking. However, there is a catch here, it talks about the 6 speed manual gearbox, whether we get a 6 speed in India or not is a question, but i think we will.

4. Power magnitude and delivery : feels more sprightly than a 1.6 ford motor and the magnitude as well as the quickness of power delivered to the front wheels is better. Overboost is a new technology and helps the engine produce 200Nm of torque for 30 secs in case of urgent overtaking In stead of the usual 170Nm that is available fom 1300-4500 rpm. Also he torque curve is much broader than a diesel engine.

5. Size : the cylinder head is roughly 22 cm by 30 cm and the engine weighs around 95 kgs. Thus less weight and compactness contribute to better handling by controlling understeer and better FE. Also due to the design of the engine and its specialized mounts, the total weight saving over the front wheels is around 25-30 kgs.

6. FE : Obviously very good. Expect ARAI figures in the range of 19-22 kmpl.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 14th February 2012 at 19:53.
Mustang.101 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 20:27   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
1. This engine will be the replacement for all ford petrol engines of displacement 1.6L or less and production shall be carried out in multiple plants across the world amongst them are plants in germany, UK, Romania, Russia, India, Brazil and many others.
Hi,
So we can expect this engine in the Figo?

In depth technical details will be appreciated.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th February 2012, 20:56   #427
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mustang for that info. By any chance can you share that video over here?

Whatever you have mentioned here matches with the findings of the Autocar UK & Autoexpress test drives of the Ecoboost 1.0 Focus. Besides the obvious driveability advantage (peak torque over a wider rpm band), this small engine would obviously require lesser quantity of engine oil, compared to its bigger siblings (1.6 litre) or is it the other way round, having a tubo charger spinning at 2.5 lakh rpm would necessitate increased lubrication & hence more oil? Moreover what would be service (oil change) interval for this engine?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 14th February 2012 at 20:59.
Old 14th February 2012, 21:18   #428
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Thanks Mustang for that info. By any chance can you share that video over here?

Whatever you have mentioned here matches with the findings of the Autocar UK & Autoexpress test drives of the Ecoboost 1.0 Focus. Besides the obvious driveability advantage (peak torque over a wider rpm band), this small engine would obviously require lesser quantity of engine oil, compared to its bigger siblings (1.6 litre) or is it the other way round, having a tubo charger spinning at 2.5 lakh rpm would necessitate increased lubrication & hence more oil? Moreover what would be service (oil change) interval for this engine?
You asked a lot of questions here which i cant answer currently.

The video was shown through a projector and hence we do not have any links or access to it.

Now the assumptions part.

The service interval will most likely be 1 year/10000 kms whichever is earlier.

Oil quantity should be lesser than a conventional 1.6.

@sutripta - figo wont get this engine as the engine is more expensive to manufacture and will result in increase in cost of the figo, the fiesta will most probably get it but that shall be finalized at a later stage due to the production constraints at the factory.
Old 14th February 2012, 21:30   #429
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EXCITING NEWS:
Overboost is a new technology and helps the engine produce 200Nm of torque for 30 secs in case of urgent overtaking In stead of the usual 170Nm that is available fom 1300-4500 rpm. Also he torque curve is much broader than a diesel engine.
Very exciting indeed. Is it possible to elaborate more about the overboost technology. How does the engine access sudden torque? Is it like an enhanced variable valve like technology, or turbo?

If these aspects have been discussed elsewhere, please point out the right posts. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2012, 21:54   #430
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

Very exciting indeed. Is it possible to elaborate more about the overboost technology. How does the engine access sudden torque? Is it like an enhanced variable valve like technology, or turbo?

If these aspects have been discussed elsewhere, please point out the right posts. Thanks.
It is because of the turbo charger. I do not possess the required knowledge about it but this is what a co-worker told me, by overboosting the turbo spins much faster than the normal speed for a period of time say 30 secs in case of this particular engine there by allowing more air for combustion and thus producing more torque. Although this is not a desired property in most turbo charged engines as it may damage the engine if exposed to long durations of overboost, however ford engineers have been able to control this overboost and limit it at 30 secs and this aides in overtaking during panic situations. Perfectly safe for the engine and Happens at high rpms.

To put it simply, its like feeling another rush of power in the car after the car has already been past its turbo boost stage. So its like a boost within a boost (anybody seen inception? Lol) . Basically it might go like this, at 1300 rpm you feel the turbo coming on in the ecoboost and feel that power while at 5000-6000 rpm you might experience a further increase in power for 30 secs and that is what is called overboost.

I will get more answers regarding this shortly, so till then please excuse me on the overboost thing.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 23:21   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EXCITING NEWS: its about the ecoboost 1.0 engine. ... ... ...
It really sounds as if Ford have beaten the proverb: they have got a quart into a pint pot!

Across the board, is this as big a breakthrough in engine design as it seems to me?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 07:00   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
EXCITING NEWS: its about the ecoboost 1.0 engine.

Today we were shown a "company employee only" video. It was pretty short but here are the main points

Thanks Mustang for the details. Appreciate it.

Just a question on #1. You mentioned that the Figo won’t get this engine, as it may jack up the cost, but the new Fiesta will get it most probably. If that is the case, what was the point of spending a bit to develop an India-specific 1.5L petrol? Or the company is to write-off that engine as a failed experiment? I asked this specifically because Ford is about to launch an AT variant with the same 1.5L.
Old 15th February 2012, 08:13   #433
Senior - BHPian

+1 to your question vb_san
Also, I may have missed it but any chances of getting an auto tranny option on the Ecosport?
Old 15th February 2012, 08:50   #434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Thanks Mustang for the details. Appreciate it.

Just a question on #1. You mentioned that the Figo won’t get this engine, as it may jack up the cost, but the new Fiesta will get it most probably. If that is the case, what was the point of spending a bit to develop an India-specific 1.5L petrol? Or the company is to write-off that engine as a failed experiment? I asked this specifically because Ford is about to launch an AT variant with the same 1.5L.
First of all if the fiesta does get it then it wont get it before 2014-15 till sanand is operational.

In the focus in the UK the 1.6 l tivct was also kept for 3 yrs and is now being replaced by this ecoboost.

The fact is that when fiesta was launched, there was no ecoboost 1.0, no where in the world. So the car launched with alternative engines. It will be slowly replaced by the ecoboost over a period of time as production increases. Even the UK fiesta has still not got an ecoboost. So basically you could either have a fiesta with a non petrol engine or not have the fiesta at all in the indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
+1 to your question vb_san
Also, I may have missed it but any chances of getting an auto tranny option on the Ecosport?

Yes theres quite a good chance but not at launch, Although preliminary testing of 6 speed dual clutch auto tranny has been carried out and has been successful for the ecoboost.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 15th February 2012 at 08:52.
Mustang.101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 09:16   #435
BHPian

Quote:

4. Power magnitude and delivery : feels more sprightly than a 1.6 ford motor and the magnitude as well as the quickness of power delivered to the front wheels is better. Overboost is a new technology and helps the engine produce 200Nm of torque for 30 secs in case of urgent overtaking In stead of the usual 170Nm that is available fom 1300-4500 rpm. Also he torque curve is much broader than a diesel engine.

This 30 sec only overboost, wont it be bit risky.
For eg, if you are in middle of an overtaking maneuver and suddenly the overboost disenganges. I am talking wrto the layman driver perspective, who wouldnt be using this sophisticated technology as per the books. Or maybe I understood it wrong.
I understand the mechanical risk of extending it over 30 secs though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks