Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 09:59   #436
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojmis

This 30 sec only overboost, wont it be bit risky.
For eg, if you are in middle of an overtaking maneuver and suddenly the overboost disenganges. I am talking wrto the layman driver perspective, who wouldnt be using this sophisticated technology as per the books. Or maybe I understood it wrong.
I understand the mechanical risk of extending it over 30 secs though.
Will you take more than 30 secs to overtake a vehicle? No, right.

And anyways once you pass a vehicle you lay off the accelerator for a few secs and then the overboost gets cancelled. Moreover, overboost is only at very high rpms. When you change gear, rpms will drop and overboost gets cancelled.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:04   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojmis View Post
For eg, if you are in middle of an overtaking maneuver and suddenly the overboost disenganges. I am talking wrto the layman driver perspective, who wouldn't be using this sophisticated technology as per the books. Or maybe I understood it wrong.
Even if you are overtaking a big trailer (more than 40 feet long), how much time does it take to pass it, 10 seconds max. But if you are planning to overtake dozens of such trailers lined up one behind the other, then probably you are at risk. In my opinion, the 30 seconds overboost time would be sufficient enough for 99.9% of the times.

OT: Just came across this news that on 16th February 2012, Ford India will add 45 new Dealerships to its existing dealership network of about 200 dealerships. With new compact SUV Ford EcoSport launch around the corner, Ford’s expansions plan is a part of its bigger plan to expand its reach in Indian automobile market further. Ford India expects the sales of Ecosport to be good. High hopes I must say.

http://www.carblogindia.com/ford-ind...echnologies%29

Last edited by AutoIndian : 15th February 2012 at 10:10.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:10   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojmis View Post
For eg, if you are in middle of an overtaking maneuver and suddenly the overboost disenganges. I am talking wrto the layman driver perspective, who wouldnt be using this sophisticated technology as per the books. Or maybe I understood it wrong.
At the middle of your overtaking maneuver, you will be parallel to other vehicle.

When you are overtaking, there is another vehicle B coming from the opp direction. If you are not able to complete the overtaking with your normal power, then you need to really review the maneuver.

Boost may not be required during normal overtaking, but may be required if you suddenly see an on-coming vehicle, and you dont have enough space to get past both the vehicles safely.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:18   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
EXCITING NEWS: its about the ecoboost 1.0 engine.
This is the news I've been hoping for. Thanks for that update. I'm expecting the Fiesta with that engine to be a cracker.

Does anyone have more information about the overboost feature? I googled it, but most of the search hits are discussing it as a bad thing.

When you think of it, 30 seconds of peak overboost torque is a pretty long time. Is there a time limit on how frequently one can use this overboost? For example, 30 seconds every 3 minutes.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:29   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To put it simply, its like feeling another rush of power in the car after the car has already been past its turbo boost stage. So its like a boost within a boost (anybody seen inception? Lol) . Basically it might go like this, at 1300 rpm you feel the turbo coming on in the ecoboost and feel that power while at 5000-6000 rpm you might experience a further increase in power for 30 secs and that is what is called overboost.

I will get more answers regarding this shortly, so till then please excuse me on the overboost thing.
If I may elaborate a little bit on this aspect. Overboost is a temporary increase of power which is achieved by opening the exhaust manifold pressure gate beyond a higher value than the safe limit. Within the turbo intake manifold / exhaust manifold, there is a valve which allows a safe volume of exhaust gases to enter the turbo and the remaining exhaust is blown out through an auxiliary manifold. In normal conditions, this valve which regulates boost will operate typically on 30-70% of the exhaust gas volumes (of course this varies as per the engines design and I speak more from diesel engine knowledge, so it could be different in petrol engines). In these conditions, the turbo will spool in the range of 100,000 to 200,000 rpm. In case the turbo speeds exceed this, the sensors will sense the increase in speed and intake air volume and automatically reduce the amount of exhaust gases entering the turbo, by controlling the boost control valve.
In case of overboost, there is a safe spool limit over and above the normal operating limits, which allows the turbo to spool to a higher speed , say 250,000 and provides an additional surge of power. But the duration of this is is temporary (30 sec for example) to prevent damage to the turbo and the engine, after which the boost control valve returns to normal safe zone.

Think of it like a 30 sec punch of extra torque (like NOS, but NOS is much more wild!)

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 12:00   #441
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79

When you think of it, 30 seconds of peak overboost torque is a pretty long time. Is there a time limit on how frequently one can use this overboost? For example, 30 seconds every 3 minutes.
There will be a limit but i currently have no info about that. Anyways i am sure most of the people wont even use the overboost as people rarely cross 5500 rpm.
Old 15th February 2012, 20:51   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sutripta - figo wont get this engine as the engine is more expensive to manufacture and will result in increase in cost of the figo, the fiesta will most probably get it but that shall be finalized at a later stage due to the production constraints at the factory.
Hi,
As an option/ version. The Figo RS. (With the dual clutch please!)

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th February 2012, 20:59   #443
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
Hi,
As an option/ version. The Figo RS. (With the dual clutch please!)

Regards
Sutripta
Even i would love that but as of now there are no plans.
Old 15th February 2012, 21:11   #444
Senior - BHPian

The overboost is not a new technology. BMW 1M has it. And there will be a few more I am sure.
It is like creating extra boost with the turbo either by fiddling with Geometry of turbo in case of VGT. Yes like is is said , it makes the engine work outside of its comfort zone. And that is why it is generally restricted to around 10 secs.
However it is not that simple. It monitors several factors like water temperature, exhaust gas temp (if present), A/F ratio and others to enable this function. 30 secs looks like an overkill. Pretty interesting if they have achieved it.
Old 15th February 2012, 22:11   #445
Senior - BHPian

The concept of overboost is no big deal technically. But there are certain restrictions, esp. the number of times it can be activated in a given timespan. If so consider this scenario.

You do one skin of your teeth overtaking maneuver, and the overboost sees you to safety. You consider this power to be the norm. And almost immediately go for a second kamikaze overtaking maneuver. And this time the engine management does not oblige.
Did I say Kamikaze?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th February 2012, 22:32   #446
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
The overboost is not a new technology. BMW 1M has it. And there will be a few more I am sure.
It is like creating extra boost with the turbo either by fiddling with Geometry of turbo in case of VGT. Yes like is is said , it makes the engine work outside of its comfort zone. And that is why it is generally restricted to around 10 secs.
However it is not that simple. It monitors several factors like water temperature, exhaust gas temp (if present), A/F ratio and others to enable this function. 30 secs looks like an overkill. Pretty interesting if they have achieved it.

"New in this segment" <- i think this is better and more apt. Even the cooper S has it i think. But no where in this price range will you find it. And yes it is 30 secs.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:24   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"New in this segment" <- i think this is better and more apt. Even the cooper S has it i think. But no where in this price range will you find it. And yes it is 30 secs.
I am quite sure it is a radical shift in engine technology (Not the over boost but the overall engine), but what I am not so sure about will it be acceptable to the mass market. No matter how fuel effecient the vehicle is, it can't match the diesel counterparts. And specially putting such an engine on an SUV might even mar the reputation of the engine. I am quite sure it would have been more effecient had it been under the hood of a small hatch, thereby increasing the mass appeal. The diesel however should be the undoubted choice here no matter how good the petrol engine is. It will be interesting to see some performance figures to have a better insight. Any info please!

What Ford really should have habe done is develop a 1.2L eco sport and put it in a hot hatch.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:29   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

"The inauguration of 45 sales and service outlets in one day was not a coincidental event for Ford India. It is a deliberate ploy to get the media and the market buzzing. The company is preparing to unload seven more products by mid-decade and dealer expansion is oxygen for these launches."

Ford opens 45 sales & service points in 35 cities in one day
Old 16th February 2012, 17:44   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
What Ford really should have habe done is develop a 1.2L eco sport and put it in a hot hatch.
Did you mean to say here that Ford should have developed a 1.2L Ecoboost engine & plonked it in a hot hatch? Otherwise how can an Ecosport be put in a hatch? Too much of "Eco"ing has taken a toll of us
Old 16th February 2012, 18:05   #450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
It will be interesting to see some performance figures to have a better insight. Any info please!

0-100 in 11 secs in a ford focus. Also if you think its not much of a technological innovation then i cant help you with that. You should check out the engines in cars less than 20 lacs and then let me know if you find any which is more technologically advanced.

@Others : the engine belt is lubricated in oil and does not require replacement after x kms, the belt will last the entire life span if the car. This is for the ecoboost petrol only, not the diesel.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed