Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 21:32   #661
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I missed that part of the conversation. Anyway, opening to the left or right, which is best in the case of India?
The Safari and the Endeavour both open to the right.
Since this is the LHD version, I think we can assume Ford would make the necessary changes for the RHD markets.
Old 24th April 2012, 21:41   #662
Team-BHP Support

Take a look at the interiors. Production Version at Beijing Motor Show.
Not sure if this was shared before.

Ford EcoSport makes global debut at Beijing Motor Show

EDIT:
There is ACI article also:

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/297...-revealed.aspx

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2012 at 21:54.
Old 24th April 2012, 21:53   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

From a India-related convenience point of view, it SHOULD be hinged at the right side (when looking at the vehicle from the back), simply because we drive on the left and it's convenient to load the boot by taking bags etc. from the pavement/footpath or for people to get in (for jump-seaters). If the door is hinged on the left, then effectively you block access to the pavement completely when the door is opened.

Frankly, it will probably be an essential homologation point/condition for any side-hinged rear hatch vehicle in India. Maybe the experts can comment?

However, whichever side it is hinged, it's a pain in a crowded parking lot and a top-hinged is better anyday :-)
Old 24th April 2012, 22:43   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Autocar India also predicts price range of 7-9 lac

Usually I ignore price speculation from all the news but I pretty much trust Autocar India's speculation (thanks a lot Hormazd Sorabjee!). This is actually quite possible too if EcoSport gets sub-4 meter advantage. At 7-9 lac price sticker, EcoSport has potential to outsell Figo and uproot all kinds of cars ranging from Polo 1.6 to Suzuki Ertiga to even Mahindra XUV5OO!

Though I dislike SUVs but perhaps it is time that I prepare a budget to buy EcoSport
Old 24th April 2012, 23:20   #665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
The Autocar India also predicts price range of 7-9 lac
But somehow I dont seem to agree with ACI here.
In no way could be priced it lower than Fiesta.
(I do hope so!)

That puts at least 12L OTR for diesel. But we cannot neglect the fact that it also has a new Petrol engine.
If Ford chooses to add premium tag to this engine, even the Petrol trim would cost higher.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:23   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(I do hope so!)

That puts at least 12L OTR for diesel. But we cannot neglect the fact that it also has a new Petrol engine.
If Ford chooses to add premium tag to this engine, even the Petrol trim would cost higher.
It may actually be lesser than the Fiesta. Looking at the pics from Beijing show the fit, finish and quality seems a notch lower. Also boot space is probably just a little more than the Figo.
Old 24th April 2012, 23:56   #667
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It may actually be lesser than the Fiesta. Looking at the pics from Beijing show the fit, finish and quality seems a notch lower. Also boot space is probably just a little more than the Figo.
Really? You got that from those pics? What did you catch?
Old 25th April 2012, 00:58   #668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Boot space aspect did occur to me. My only thought they dont overplay the new 1L engine aspect which would negate the low price aspect.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:04   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Boot space aspect did occur to me. My only thought they dont overplay the new 1L engine aspect which would negate the low price aspect.
Do you know if they are launching an Diesel Automatic version?
Old 25th April 2012, 01:09   #670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I have no idea! But based on what I gather a petrol AT (the same one as in petrol Fiesta, Dual clutch) would surely be there.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 01:27   #671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(I do hope so!)

I agree.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Really? You got that from those pics? What did you catch?
Yes he got that from the picture. I would say the same thing too. In fact, the space is comparable to the Jazz's boot. Which is as versatile as a mini-van.

The Figo has a pretty large boot, and can accommodate enough luggage for 4, for the weekend. The Jazz (which has the largest boot for a hatch) can accommodate some more. So the EcoSport's boot should be sufficient. If it has split-seats, it would make things even easier. But that would compromise on rear-seat comfort. Bolstering and adding lumbar support to seats that can be folded is a challenge, even to this day.

Quote:
Highly unlikely. Diesel + Automatic = something only you can think of when you're If they do, it would be the first diesel automatic in that category, and would certainly set the sales-charts on fire.

@ Vid

That said, I can't help but think why Ford would price a SUV lower than a sedan that it is based on. The EcoSport is loosely based on the Fiesta, as we all know. And the trend for most manufacturers that produce a SUV based on a hatch/sedan is to price it equally, if not a notch higher than the variant it is based on.

For example, take the case of the Skoda Yeti. It doesn't have the features that the top-end Laura gives you, but you get one for the same price, or a little more (not sure)

And then we have the Duster. It surely isn't gong to be cheaper than the Logan. The car that it's based on.

The Honda CRV is based on the Civic's platform. And even though it's a CBU, it costs nearly 10 lakhs more. Even if it were assembled here, I'm sure it wouldn't be anything lesser than 15 lakhs.

(hope I eat my words on the EcoSport pricing though *winks*)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th April 2012 at 01:38.
Old 25th April 2012, 01:35   #672
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea! But based on what I gather a petrol AT (the same one as in petrol Fiesta, Dual clutch) would surely be there.
Thanks but i hoped they do bring in an Diesel version, Petrol for a larger SUV has never done well in India, not sure what the idea there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I agree.

Highly unlikely. Diesel + Automatic = something only you can think of when you're If they do, it would be the first diesel automatic in that category, and would certainly set the sales-charts on fire.
With the growing traffic in Chennai and the frequent grid locks i get frustrated going from neutral to 1st and back to neutral for hundreds of times before i reach home. Atleast if i had an automatic i can surf the web on my phone! lol..
Old 25th April 2012, 07:54   #673
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks but i hoped they do bring in an Diesel version, Petrol for a larger SUV has never done well in India, not sure what the idea there is.
This is very true for larger SUVs (For me even CRV and Outlander are large). But the case Ecosport is different.
It much smaller than these guys. Add to it, Ford is pushing a 1L engine (with claims of 20km/L FE with weight/power
ratio for an Ecosport). So this petrol version should actually sell! (with the right pricing off course)

Most city dwellers (guys who would mostly drive in the city) who want something like this, would go for the petrol version
and top it with AT. And its been claimed the Dual Clutch AT should match the FE delivered by the engine
(same as the DSG by VW).
Old 25th April 2012, 09:05   #674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Vid

That said, I can't help but think why Ford would price a SUV lower than a sedan that it is based on. The EcoSport is loosely based on the Fiesta, as we all know. And the trend for most manufacturers that produce a SUV based on a hatch/sedan is to price it equally, if not a notch higher than the variant it is based on.

For example, take the case of the Skoda Yeti. It doesn't have the features that the top-end Laura gives you, but you get one for the same price, or a little more (not sure)

And then we have the Duster. It surely isn't gong to be cheaper than the Logan. The car that it's based on.

The Honda CRV is based on the Civic's platform. And even though it's a CBU, it costs nearly 10 lakhs more. Even if it were assembled here, I'm sure it wouldn't be anything lesser than 15 lakhs.

(hope I eat my words on the EcoSport pricing though *winks*)
It looks like that trend is changing somewhat. Take a look at the latest entry into this compact MPV segment, the Ertiga. It's priced lower than the SX4 sedan even though it shares same engine and gearbox. You may argue that the Ertiga is based on the Swift but the Fiesta is also ultimately a hatch. Even the Laura is based on the Golf platform.

Don't look at the EcoSport as based on the Fiesta Sedan but based on the Fiesta hatch. It's basically a taller version of the hatch. If you observe carefully it even looks strange from some angles like a hatch raised up and then black plastic cladding at the bottom to make it look like a SUV.

From the pics you can also see that the hatch door is bare with just one lump of plastic on the inside when you open it. The rear visibility looks pretty poor since the glass is so small. The headlamps are straightforward designs and not even dual refelector's like the Fiesta's.

Dash is a straight lift from Fiesta except some minor changes.

Also I don't think Ford can afford to price the Ecosport more than the Fiesta. That mistake will hurt them just like the Fiesta which they thought they could market as a premium product.

The Yeti to me is a blunder in pricing and now with discounts and the 4X2 variant it's marginally lesser than a Laura. should be much lesser if you ask me.

The Duster will definitely not be lesser than a Logan. Renault will not be using Dacia but are using Renault parts which if you compare is much more premium than the Dacia.

Also the Duster has been designed as an off-roader and not a soft roader and as you know some countries do get a 4X4 version.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 11:24   #675
vij
BHPian

Quote:
I agree.

Yes he got that from the picture. I would say the same thing too.
May well be the case if you guys think that, but to my eye the interiors looked at par with Fiesta. Will wait for TeamBhp review

Last edited by vij : 25th April 2012 at 11:28.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed