Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 13:04   #676
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

It looks good! However as always, the price of the car is the key! Ford ought not to delay the launch too much as other entrants will corner the market as indeed to an extent the Ertiga has (although in a slightly different category).
Old 25th April 2012, 14:21   #677
BHPian

EcoSport Titanium 2013

I find the image 21 a bit strange, the center console and the gearshift seem to be a little misaligned. I see on the passenger side some additional plastic from the gear console which seems to protrude and this is not visible on the driver side.
Is it a case of or could it be that the Ecosport was actually designed for RHD markets ?
Old 25th April 2012, 17:05   #678
Senior - BHPian

Check this out. A short video on the rigorous testing of Ecosport suspension & the water wading capabilities also being tested.

AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:19   #679
BHPian

Enthusiasts (like us) are waiting for some thing like this, agree. Is the normal market waiting for some thing that is so radical. Take the looks, it so radical to be true. Why is that such a thing has not been done before (there could be a first time, but still) just thinking, we are used to things that are similar to something that we already see, know (as a fan of sci-fi novels and his view on the those who do not read them).

My point is will this look last long or will this be too far ahead of its time? Will this break the stereotype or will be go down and "too odd".

For mass acceptance it needs to have mass appeal, you know what I mean. Common design patterns are always mass sellers, radicals get tough on a mass appeal. Its different for a designer market, point in case how many ramp dresses end up in the mass market?
I could be wrong (like apple had disapproved my above logic), but then is the Indian customer ready for such a disruptive design. (I would love to be proved wrong).
Old 25th April 2012, 17:21   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
I don't understand this- the production version of Brazil doesn't come with a spare wheel cover (it is in fact bolted onto the swing gate with only three nuts if you observe closely, cost cutting? ) while the Chinese and Indian markets get the PAINTED ( ) spare wheel cover that so spoils the look of the car, what logic is that?!
Don't know about Brazil but in India the spare externally fitted wheel is routinely stolen from cars like Sumo and Mahindra etc and people go to great lengths to get it locked with chunky Godrej Navtal. I quite see people here in India putting a faux leather cover over that body coloured cover with the name of the dealer written in big capital letters and also perhaps the address !!!

A related information: India is the only country where refrigerators come with a lock !!! Mera Bharat Mahan.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 17:24   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post

A related information: India is the only country where refrigerators come with a lock !!! Mera Bharat Mahan.
Off topic: Guess we have the naughtiest kids in the world!
Old 25th April 2012, 19:56   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

I am bit worried about the boot space in Ecosport! A 12" sub-woofer & the space is gone!

Below is what Hormazd [ACI] tweets about Ecosport
Quote:
  • After dodging the question (even misleading us!) Ford has finally confirmed EcoSport is sub 4 metres. All this and more on Autocar Show
  • EcoSport's touch sensitive, electric operated boot release located in tail light cluster. Neat, but hard to first find!
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-boot.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th April 2012 at 19:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 20:08   #683
BHPian

Thanks a lot swiftnfurious. Now this comes to all our relief as all our debates of Ecosport qualifying for under-4m excise cuts comes to an end. Now one can expect a very competitive pricing from Ford, just can't wait for it . Just curious, what exactly is "touch sensitive" about the boot release?
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 20:14   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am bit worried about the boot space in Ecosport! A 12" sub-woofer & the space is gone!

Below is what Hormazd [ACI] tweets about Ecosport
Attachment 920216
That's wonderful news & if it is coming from Hormazd then it must be true. Now the only question is how much of this excise duty benefit is Ford willing to pass on to the customer. If they want to crush the competition, then they should pass on the full benefit. Duster's of this world should be worried now. Ford have learnd the lesson with the Fiesta pricing & it would have been foolhardy on their part not to avail the under 4m excise duty benefit. The only reason I believe keeping this top secret was not to spill all the beans, especially related to pricing. If the car buying public is aware of this fact then they would obviously expect a very competitive pricing & if Ford misses the expectations by a wide margin then not even God can save the Ecosport.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 20:37   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That's wonderful news & if it is coming from Hormazd then it must be true. Now the only question is how much of this excise duty benefit is Ford willing to pass on to the customer. If they want to crush the competition, then they should pass on the full benefit. Duster's of this world should be worried now. Ford have learnd the lesson with the Fiesta pricing & it would have been foolhardy on their part not to avail the under 4m excise duty benefit. The only reason I believe keeping this top secret was not to spill all the beans, especially related to pricing. If the car buying public is aware of this fact then they would obviously expect a very competitive pricing & if Ford misses the expectations by a wide margin then not even God can save the Ecosport.
This can work both ways. If they squeeze it under 4m, interior space is going to suffer. Already people have started to crib over the boot space. A SUV(?) with not much space inside, how Indians are going to perceive this, one has to wait and watch. Lot of expectations are going to come crashing down.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:42   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This can work both ways. If they squeeze it under 4m, interior space is going to suffer. Already people have started to crib over the boot space. A SUV(?) with not much space inside, how Indians are going to perceive this, one has to wait and watch. Lot of expectations are going to come crashing down.
True, interior space can suffer & the boot is likely to take the most beating. I won't mind if the boot gets reduced even by 100 odd litres if I am going to save a lakh rupees on the on-road price. The full capacity of the boot is going to be utilized for less than 5% (at least in my case).
Old 25th April 2012, 20:42   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
...Just curious, what exactly is "touch sensitive" about the boot release?
Probably the user just needs to touch the highlighted space and the door pops open [no pulling / pushing etc]! If you see some of the premium sedans, they have a similar feature where you can just flash your foot under the boot and due to a motion sensor, the lid unlocks and pops up. This is a very handy feature when you carry stuffs in both your hands and no manual effort is required to open the boot lid. The new 3 series will come with this feature!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th April 2012 at 20:44.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:45   #688
BHPian

Wonderful news!
I feel that this news is big enough for us to request the mods to add in the title "Edit: sub 4m length confirmed". From my experience, Hormazd Sorabjee can never be wrong. Now one wish of mine is left- confirmation of a base EcoSport without all this gadget gizmos. I really am not much into all these gizmos like cruise control, voice control, bluetooth calling and all. A base model with airbags + ABS would suffice for me. But looking at keyless door handles and touch sensitive boot door, I think it is unlikely to happen.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 25th April 2012 at 20:47. Reason: Addition of one more line
Old 25th April 2012, 21:11   #689
vij
BHPian

I am bit disappointed that Ecosport is after all nothing but a humble small car - just like Figo in size. I hate big and dislike small. 4.2m would have been ideal. Guess Yeti is the only vehicle thats the right size for me.

This sub 4m news is good for people interested in small cars or a smallish 2nd car and yes the price can be good now as pointed out earlier by some members. Then again there's going to be zero flaunt value.
Old 25th April 2012, 21:12   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I am bit disappointed that Ecosport is after all nothing but a humble small car - just like Figo in size. I hate big and dislike small. 4.2m would have been ideal. Guess Yeti is the only vehicle thats the right size for me...
If you are NOT very keen on the brand, wait for Duster. You would NOT be disappointed I guess.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks