Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 21:04   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I also thought the same until I saw the VW Crossfox in Brazil. This is VW Fox made like a MUV with the spare wheel on the hatch door. It actually looked good.

The Ecosport looks good in flesh and if Ford prices it sensibly, it will sell in good volumes.
I would agree to that, unconventional looks take a bit of a time to be adjusted to. Important will be the price and timing of launch
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:41   #737
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Ultimately India is an extremely price Sensitive Market. "True Value for Money" is the Mantra.
It will demand the best in class cars at the most economical (read comparative competitor ) prices. If this mantra is followed , then Ford stands a chance.

Else it will go the New Fiesta way.

Ford needs to repeat the Figo pricing strategy in the case of Ecosport as there is going to be plenty of competition in this category by the time the product hits the market.
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:37   #738
BHPian

Ford will do best if it keeps all the gimmicks to a minimum and introduce a mini SUV (or a figo with large tires, raised suspension and new look) with
1. decent Diesel Engine
2. Nice AC
3. Power Steering with good feedback HPS
4. Taut suspension and chassis
5. Good interiors and Music system with Bluetooth
6. ABS (optional)
7. Fog Lamps
8. Steering mounted Controls

If this is done without any major issues and priced at 9L OTR
BANG!! Ford has a winner.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:32   #739
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Ford will do best if it keeps all the gimmicks to a minimum and introduce a mini SUV (or a figo with large tires, raised suspension and new look) with
1. decent Diesel Engine
2. Nice AC
3. Power Steering with good feedback HPS
4. Taut suspension and chassis
5. Good interiors and Music system with Bluetooth
6. ABS (optional)
7. Fog Lamps
8. Steering mounted Controls

If this is done without any major issues and priced at 9L OTR
BANG!! Ford has a winner.
IMO, I am sure Ford would (has) do better than the list. This is because almost all the points (except point no, 5 & 8) were present in the Fusion, which even though was a great car, was also the biggest market dud. The Fusion TDCi was also priced at 7.3 Lakhs - 7.8 Lakhs OTR (much lower than the 9 Lakhs OTR you are wishing for).

Last edited by MAS : 2nd May 2012 at 13:33.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:43   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
IMO, I am sure Ford would (has) do better than the list. This is because almost all the points (except point no, 5 & 8) were present in the Fusion, which even though was a great car, was also the biggest market dud. The Fusion TDCi was also priced at 7.3 Lakhs - 7.8 Lakhs OTR (much lower than the 9 Lakhs OTR you are wishing for).
Fusion came at a time when the market was not mature enough or ready for it. 7.3L for a "hatch" was unheard of at that time. By contrast, a lot of people are actually looking forward to the launch the Ford Ecosport. I think if Ford prices it correctly, they will definitely have a winner - provided they have a diesel version.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:16   #741
BHPian

Source: Indian Autos Blog

Finally, Ford India's MD Michael Boneham has cleared that Ecosport's India launch will be in early 2013 and that it will enjoy crucial excise benefits since it is a sub 4 meter vehicle. Now, we can surely expect the vehicle to be priced very competitively

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th May 2012 at 18:12. Reason: link has been corrected.
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:11   #742
BHPian

I've been tracking this thread continuously and it's evident that the EcoSport has evinced more interest than any other slated-for-launch automobile in recent years.
While its good to discuss about the features, specs, capabilities, shortcomings etc., the pricing guesstimates aren't leading anywhere. Of course, not that one should refrain from guessing - that would be like asking not to exercise one's freedom of expression - but speculating is sometimes like shooting in the air knowing that there may be birds hovering about.
I only hope the pricing strategy guys at Ford are not ears and eyes to our discussions and remember the Fusion fiasco
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:43   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I've been tracking this thread continuously and it's evident that the EcoSport has evinced more interest than any other slated-for-launch automobile in recent years.
While its good to discuss about the features, specs, capabilities, shortcomings etc., the pricing guesstimates aren't leading anywhere. Of course, not that one should refrain from guessing - that would be like asking not to exercise one's freedom of expression - but speculating is sometimes like shooting in the air knowing that there may be birds hovering about.
I only hope the pricing strategy guys at Ford are not ears and eyes to our discussions and remember the Fusion fiasco
Probably the new Fiesta had an even bigger thread, and what a flop that turned out to be. I dare say it is as big, if not a bigger flop than the Fusion.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:57   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't really want to burst everyone's bubble, but in reality (having seen the Ecosport in Auto Expo), the Ecosport actually looks like a 4m hatch on steroids. To give an idea of its size, visualize a Fabia (which is ~3.99 M in length) and slighly taller (10cm) with bloated fenders and bigger tyres 215/65 R16 and a spare tyre mounted on the back.
If Ford prices in the range of 7-9 lacs and actually pitches against premium hatches like i20 and Polo, it may do well, but if it goes into the 9-11 range, it may not be as successful.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:30   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I don't really want to burst everyone's bubble, but in reality (having seen the Ecosport in Auto Expo), the Ecosport actually looks like a 4m hatch on steroids. To give an idea of its size, visualize a Fabia (which is ~3.99 M in length) and slighly taller (10cm) with bloated fenders and bigger tyres 215/65 R16 and a spare tyre mounted on the back.
If Ford prices in the range of 7-9 lacs and actually pitches against premium hatches like i20 and Polo, it may do well, but if it goes into the 9-11 range, it may not be as successful.

Regards,
Behemoth

I agree Behemoth, its not an SUV ! I do think it will taste success though.

I wonder why Maurti never thought of bringing in the SX4 Hatch that is a lot bigger than the Ecosport? Im sure they could have priced it at SX4 Sedan levels that would have made it a great deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ag_07sx4_rear.jpg  

nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 10:35   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Fusion came at a time when the market was not mature enough or ready for it. 7.3L for a "hatch" was unheard of at that time. By contrast, a lot of people are actually looking forward to the launch the Ford Ecosport. I think if Ford prices it correctly, they will definitely have a winner - provided they have a diesel version.
I beg to differ here, Starrysky. Looking forward to the launch is one thing and actually buying is quite another. With a small car like Ecosport, Ford can not expect it to do well if it is priced at around 9-10 lakhs as is being speculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Finally, Ford India's MD Michael Boneham has cleared that Ecosport's India launch will be in early 2013 and that it will enjoy crucial excise benefits since it is a sub 4 meter vehicle. Now, we can surely expect the vehicle to be priced very competitively
Sorry to play spoilsport on Ecosport again but I believe that if it is sub 4 meter, it would still be considered just a larger hatch by the greater car buying public of our country. And though, the market has moved to some extent, it has not yet "matured" that it will think of performance, technonology etc and accept a "hatch" at 10 lakhs.

Quote:
...the Ecosport actually looks like a 4m hatch on steroids. If Ford prices in the range of 7-9 lacs and actually pitches against premium hatches like i20 and Polo, it may do well, but if it goes into the 9-11 range, it may not be as successful.

Regards,
Behemoth
Exactly my thoughts, Behemoth. I so dearly wish Ecosport to be a hit. Now ball is in Ford's court to price it really aggressively.
wanderer4x4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 11:26   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really want to burst everyone's bubble, but in reality (having seen the Ecosport in Auto Expo), the Ecosport actually looks like a 4m hatch on steroids. To give an idea of its size, visualize a Fabia (which is ~3.99 M in length) and slighly taller (10cm) with bloated fenders and bigger tyres 215/65 R
Though I may not term it as bursting the metaphorical bubble, however you have brought into focus the ground realities of the Ecosport & thanks for that. At least for me it won't matter even if it is a hatch on steroids, bloated fenders etc, provided it has decent interior room for 5, big chunky tyres on 16"/17" rims, ample ground clearance (200+mm), powerful yet frugal engine (the Ecoboost 1.0L has got me hooked) & last but not the least price. I wont mind paying a premium of 1 to 1.5 lakhs over the so called premium hatches (i20, Jazz, Polo etc), if I get the technologically advanced engine & all the above stuff for that price. For me the Ecosport ticks all the right boxes. Yes the average joe may not be able to appreciate the advanced features of the Ecoboost & to get him hooked Ford should start the lower end of the Ecosport some where near the premium hatchs' price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post

I wonder why Maurti never thought of bringing in the SX4 Hatch that is a lot bigger than the Ecosport? Im sure they could have priced it at SX4 Sedan levels that would have made it a great deal.
That is one cute looking hatch. What a waste of time & efforts by MSIL to convert this beautiful hatch into a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Sorry to play spoilsport on Ecosport again but I believe that if it is sub 4 meter, it would still be considered just a larger hatch by the greater car buying public of our country. And though, the market has moved to some extent, it has not yet "matured" that it will think of performance, technonology etc and accept a "hatch" at 10 lakhs.
Very true & . If Ford really want's to taste success with the Ecosport, they shouldn't restrict it to the elite few. If they offer it in wider range of variants, right from 6.5 lakhs to 9.5 lakhs ex-showroom, it will find many takers, because then each variant would serve a wide spectrum of car buying public.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:35   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Very true & . If Ford really want's to taste success with the Ecosport, they shouldn't restrict it to the elite few. If they offer it in wider range of variants, right from 6.5 lakhs to 9.5 lakhs ex-showroom, it will find many takers, because then each variant would serve a wide spectrum of car buying public.
Thats the key, variants from 6.5 to 10 L
As long as AC, Power steering, Power windows are provided on the base variant, I think there will be a lot of people who wouldnt mind adding an ICE of their choice later on. Stock ICE is expensive (Figos ICE costs about 18K apparently).

Ford will have to bite the bullet in the case of Ecosport. They have to feel confident of the product to price it sensibly from a buyers point of view and the buyers will reward them with good numbers in terms of sales. Take a leaf from Maruti guys.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:11   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't really want to burst everyone's bubble, but in reality (having seen the Ecosport in Auto Expo), the Ecosport actually looks like a 4m hatch on steroids. To give an idea of its size, visualize a Fabia (which is ~3.99 M in length) and slighly taller (10cm) with bloated fenders and bigger tyres 215/65 R16 and a spare tyre mounted on the back...
I thought that was what it was supposed to look like.

There are plenty of SUV-sized SUVs. The Ecosport is not supposed to be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
If people will allow a new category of vehicle, it should be a success. If people cannot escape the pigeon-hole mentality, then they won't be able to accept the new idea.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 14:00   #750
BHPian

The ecoboost engine is touted to be small. Perhaps there lies the answer. They can make enough cabin space, if they can dig out 10cm, or more, from the bonnet. 4m in that case is sufficient length.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks