Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:42   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
In reality the Ecosport looks like a hatch that has gone to a gym. It looks anything but a SUV. The Duster on the other hand looks like a proper SUV.
The Ecosport has more sophisticated looks whereas the Duster looks more rugged. As it has been published in many videos by Ford top honchos, the Ecosport has a sleek & aerodynamic design, whereas the traditional SUVs focus more on macho & muscular looks. I for one prefer aerodynamic design, with ample ground clearance.

Quote:
Ford has invested a lot into this model. I'm not sure how far they are going to be successful.
Speaking of technical capabilities, no doubt the Ecosport has an upper hand as compared to competition. whether it is going to be successful or not would be decided only the price, price & the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I feel there is no need for being so pessimistic about this car's future, after all, Indians love their SUVs. And realistically speaking, this will *most probably* make more horses in its Diesel Avatar than the upcoming Diesel Duster.
The diesel would most probably be the 1.5TDCi (same as in the Fiesta), which can churn 90 BHP max. The Renault 1.5L K9K is capable of producing 110 BHP in a higher state of tune (as in the Fluence), not sure though if this type of tune is going to be plonked in the Duster. I think the USP of the Ecosport is the 1.0L Ecoboost engine. If they prize it sensibly compared to the diesel (& don't simply make it a premium offering siting advanced technology as a reason), then it can well capture the fascination of the urban populace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Ford took the aspirational need for an suv, our 'kitna deta hai' mindset and made it small/cheap enough for many to buy it. The actual suv capabilities are debatable but it will sell...
Well said Ecosport will definitely be frugal, but not sure if it will come cheap (Fiesta pricing fiasco has not been rubbed off out memories yet). It is a well rounded vehicle, but as I said earlier, pricing will make or break it.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:47   #827
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry if I sounded pessimistic. I love Ford cars for their sheer driving dynamics and car control they offer. I'm one of the few people who owns the new Fiesta.

My post was more of a concern, as the Ecosport looks very abnormal in the pictures, especially the rear profile and the front profile (Red car). With the 'aam janta' giving priority to looks rather than driveability, I'm just concerned on the success of the much hyped Ecosport.

The USP of the Ecosport has been the 1.0 Litre Ecoboost engine. With Petrol prices gone through the roof, this 1.0 litre 3 pot cast iron heart will not find many homes. Added to this, if Ford does not get its pricing and postioning strategy, like it did for the new Fiesta, it is a disaster waiting to happen just like the new Fiesta.

If priced at par with the Duster, how many would pick the Ecosport is an easy question to answer.
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:56   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My post was more of a concern, as the Ecosport looks very abnormal in the pictures, especially the rear profile and the front profile (Red car). With the 'aam janta' giving priority to looks rather than driveability, I'm just concerned on the success of the much hyped Ecosport.
I dont know about others but I find the look of the Ecosport difficult digest. The lower grill has swollen so much and pushed the upper grill up and almost making it vanish (or on it's way to vanish). Spare tire on the tailgate is a odd thing to do for a small vehicle with SUVish pretensions, in a a time where real SUV are getting rid of the tailgate mounted spare. This is going to be a niche car which will be bought only by enthusiasts and i expect the numbers to be even lower then what fusion achieved.
IMO, the previous generation Ecosport was elegant.
Guna is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:27   #829
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I dont know about others but I find the look of the Ecosport difficult digest. The lower grill has swollen so much and pushed the upper grill up and almost making it vanish (or on it's way to vanish). Spare tire on the tailgate is a odd thing to do for a small vehicle with SUVish pretensions, in a a time where real SUV are getting rid of the tailgate mounted spare. This is going to be a niche car which will be bought only by enthusiasts and i expect the numbers to be even lower then what fusion achieved.
+1

The front looks a lot over done and the big spare Tyre on the rear door makes it look a bit odd. I prefer the modifications done by himanshu_j on page 54 with black front lower grill and silver beard (or whatever you call that).
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:22   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The Ecosport has more sophisticated looks whereas the Duster looks more rugged. As it has been published in many videos by Ford top honchos, the Ecosport has a sleek & aerodynamic design, whereas the traditional SUVs focus more on macho & muscular looks. I for one prefer aerodynamic design, with ample ground clearance.
When the XUV500 was launched every one was cribbing about its looks,shape and see what has happened! same with the figo and dzire.On the other hand the beautiful linea even with the powerful Tjet dint sell well. In India looks is not a major criteria if other things like space, ride quality, features fuel efficiency and price are not acceptable!

Quote:
The diesel would most probably be the 1.5TDCi (same as in the Fiesta), which can churn 90 BHP max. . I think the USP of the Ecosport is the 1.0L Ecoboost engine. If they prize it sensibly compared to the diesel (& don't simply make it a premium offering siting advanced technology as a reason), then it can well capture the fascination of the urban populace.
I feel the eco boost engine will be a niche offering.Petrol engines are looked down upon today by the average Indian even if they offer good power and efficiency and since the 1.0 ecoboost engine will be completely imported i dont think it will be cheap.Ford can also launch the ecosport with a reworked 1.2 engine or even the 1.4 that they ship to south africa in the figo, this wil help them cover a range of prices.Ford should also offer the VGT version of the 1.5 TDCi engine instead of the FGt one.I guess this wont happen because ford will have to replace the Ib5 transmission because it wont be able to handle the extra Torque, thereby pushing up the cost!

Quote:
Well said Ecosport will definitely be frugal, but not sure if it will come cheap (Fiesta pricing fiasco has not been rubbed off out memories yet). It is a well rounded vehicle, but as I said earlier, pricing will make or break it.
Since ford will get excise duty benefits on vehicle length and engine capacity they will surely price it well.Since this car is under 4m in length people will surely compare this too a I20,Honda jazz etc in terms of size, space etc.If ford is going to launch the fiesta hatch then i feel this will be priced slightly more if not then a price of 6 to 8 lakhs should be acceptable! Ford will not wants its 2nd global car failing in India too.Its all If & If

Sorry for the long post!
rambo1o1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 11:23   #831
BHPian

I did not like the looks of the ecosport.It looks like hatch on steriods.The Duster looks good and is meaty.Many have the same opinion.The rear of the ecosport looks a bit like the shoddy job done on the new fiesta.
Its going to face serious competition in the market with the Duster.
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:44   #832
BHPian

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-1rr.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-2.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-2r.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-3.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-3r.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-4.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-4r.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-5.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-5r.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-6.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-6r.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-7.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-7r.jpg

Not the LR RR Evoqe.

P.S Had a hard time matching the front view color to the rear view.
Eminenttismo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:05   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminenttismo View Post
Had a hard time matching the front view color to the rear view.
Great effort,it is really a time consuming task.
I would go with jet black colour.
Any idea about Brazil launch of the Ecosport.
Is it launched there?
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:33   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Great effort,it is really a time consuming task.
I would go with jet black colour.
Any idea about Brazil launch of the Ecosport.
Is it launched there?
Thanks.This source says brazilian launch may be in May-June. May be introduced in India in Q1 of 2013 if the apocalypse is false.
Old 4th June 2012, 10:31   #835
BHPian

Interesting to get a view of someone whos seen both of them closely! However the biggest issue of Ford eco-sport is the delay in launching it! wish ford keeps the prototype in his showrooms to sustain interest at least. I am now looking at Duster since it seems to be close to launch and could be cost efffective. Ford seems to have a knack of getting costing wrong & with imported eco-boost engines, i am worried about the cost of the eco-sport too.

I have been waiting for the Eco-sport (esp for the eco boost 1 litre petrol engine) but got frustrated on learning it is only going to be released by 2013. However your news of Oct being the date for full production if true could mean an early launch . Do confirm from your side what is expected date of launch?

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2012 at 17:33. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 4th June 2012, 13:08   #836
BHPian

A Quick Comparison with Ertiga pricing

I would take a contrarian view here. Ecosport is going to be great success in Petrol. Rationale:

1) 1L Ecoboost engine, will have unmatched fuel economy when compared with other equally powerful 120BHP petrol engine. Claim to consume 20% less fuel.

2) Ford can easily price the vehicle at least 1L cheaper than 'new Fiesta'. Fiesta has 24% Excise while Ecosport will enjoy 12% excise. A 12% savings and minor aggressive pricing can bring entry model at 6.46L ex showroom. This pricing is comparable to Maruti Ertiga, which is VFM for us. See the attached images. Price courtesy: Carwale

3) Impending Diesel Tax. If there is a increase of 10% on excise that will translate close to 60-100K on the vehicles in same segment. Making the petrol models even more affordable (Difference between Petrol and Diesel models will be close to 2L after this).

4) Dwindling global growth is already bringing the fuel prices down. We may be at peak of petrol prices for the next 1 or 2 years.

5) Most important for me personally: A DSG automatic in a small car. There is no other car under 10L that can be give you that! It will be a dream automatic car. SUV, Automatic, easy to maneuver and suave looks will make it instant success with female front or backseat drivers

There are too many assumptions in this, so please don't kill me for that!
Attached Images

Last edited by raghavv : 4th June 2012 at 13:10.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:40   #837
BHPian

Great News. Looks like Ford is playing a deep mis-information game to keep the opposition unsettled. First it was the 4m length issue. Then they are keeping us all guessing on the pricing. And now launch dates!! If full fledged production is by October then we are looking at a Diwali launch.

Did you see any DSG prototypes? Any info on whether 4X4 will come with AT gearbox.?
I am also expecting the Kuga to be launched early on. Did you see any test Kuga's around?

Last edited by GTO : 5th June 2012 at 17:33. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 5th June 2012, 14:27   #838
BHPian

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-20120422112430_fordecosport_2013_800x600_wallpaper_15.jpg

I have mirrored the interiror image from Brazil model.
This is how interior will most probably look like.
IMO: i dont like the interior at all except mlti info screen, neither i like the interior of fiesta.
But Ecosport exterior is drool maal stuff.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:56   #839
BHPian

Was driving down from Worli yesterday and chanced upon a covered up car on a Flatbed near Atria Mall. The silhouette of the car was not familiar and on getting closer, I realised it was an Ecosport from the Alloy Wheel badging. Wonder what it was doing in Mumbai? Was in a moving car, hence couldn't get the best pic. Here's a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport.jpg  

mohandasnikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 17:16   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Was driving down from Worli yesterday and chanced upon a covered up car on a Flatbed near Atria Mall. The silhouette of the car was not familiar and on getting closer, I realised it was an Ecosport from the Alloy Wheel badging. Wonder what it was doing in Mumbai? Was in a moving car, hence couldn't get the best pic. Here's a photo
This in no way is the Ecosport. Look at the rear alloy wheel & it has 5 nuts/bolts whereas the Ecosport wheel has only 4 (Refer the picture below). Also you can clearly see the disc brake at the rear, whereas Ecosport has drum brakes at the rear. However it is a good catch. So the million rupees question is, if it is not the Ecosport then which car it is afterall? Experts here please pitch in.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-tyre-size.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks