Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 19:53   #106
BHPian

I suppose it's essentially a Fiesta hatch with muscles, but it's been very nicely done indeed. I like everything about it except for the tail lamp design. And the sub 4 metre size and engine displacements mean both petrol and diesel will get the excise benefit.
But I wonder how Ford is going to price it. If the Ecosport is priced lesser than the Fiesta sedan, that'll be the last nail on the Fiesta's coffin. If it's priced similar or above, that will be disastrous for the Ecosport.
Maybe Ford might rationalise the Fiesta's pricing and price both almost similarly?
Am I being too optimistic?
Old 5th January 2012, 20:01   #107
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

According to Autocar India Ford's EcoSport
< All-new compact SUV to be launched by end-2012. >
Old 5th January 2012, 20:02   #108
Senior - BHPian

Was expecting the Ford to come out with S Max which will be a very good competitor to Innova. Honestly feel that Ford India are wasting their time with some marginal cars (Figo & Ikon to a certain extent is an exception). Hopefully the eco-space sees the roads with a good diesel engine with an aggressive pricing to back it up.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:03   #109
BHPian

This mini-suv looks great, however on checking web and wikipeida, the EcoSport has been around since 2003 in Brazil and not that much of a looker. Hope they stick to this look but they website has a clear statement that its a concept :(
Old 5th January 2012, 21:38   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99
This mini-suv looks great, however on checking web and wikipeida, the EcoSport has been around since 2003 in Brazil and not that much of a looker. Hope they stick to this look but they website has a clear statement that its a concept :(
The one shown on net and wikipedia is the old ecosport (previous gen) and the one that is showcased at delhi is the new gen ecosport. It is a concept car but the actual version will be at least 90% similar.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 21:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

Worldwide, in which other vehicle is this engine/ engine family used? If it is already in use, where is it manufactured? In what quantities?

Sutripta
Old 5th January 2012, 21:57   #112
Senior - BHPian

The EcoSport has been around in the South American market since 2003 and it is now being seen as an obsolescent model. It is one of the best-selling cars in Brazil. This car is specific-designed for the Latin American market.

What we get is the second generation ES and Ford is generating and evaluating consumer feedback using the concept. This is because -unlike the GEN I model- Ford is designing the car for the global market. It is no more Latin America-specific.

Read more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Worldwide, in which other vehicle is this engine/ engine family used? If it is already in use, where is it manufactured? In what quantities?

Sutripta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-mgf_flex_09_2008_92_ford_ecosport_with_logo_flex.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport_2012_concept_2.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 5th January 2012 at 22:03.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:05   #113
Team-BHP Support

Theoretically, the EcoSport should do, what the Fusion couldn't, in India = bridge the gap between entry-level mini-SUV and big-hatchbacks. While new technology and efficient engines are the way to go, I still believe localization will take Ford a long way with the pricing of the EcoSport. They could capitalize on the sub-4-meter rule even further, by sourcing local material, and they could even consider exporting the EcoSport to other countries.

If this is the plan, then it's only going to be good times for Ford.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:14   #114
BHPian

TopGear's rather funny take on the new Ecosport.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...ept-2012-01-05

(Mods, please remove this if irrelevant or inappropriate)
Old 5th January 2012, 22:21   #115
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Theoretically, the EcoSport should do, what the Fusion couldn't, in India = bridge the gap between entry-level mini-SUV and big-hatchbacks. While new technology and efficient engines are the way to go, I still believe localization will take Ford a long way with the pricing of the EcoSport. They could capitalize on the sub-4-meter rule even further, by sourcing local material, and they could even consider exporting the EcoSport to other countries.

If this is the plan, then it's only going to be good times for Ford.
Hope you mean the gap between big-hatches and entry level SUVs.

OT on this thread, but the way new segments are being created and the way every model has so many variants, very soon we would be able to buy a car at any budget incrementing by a 1000 Rs. Too many options are not good, just creates confusion.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:59   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Hope you mean the gap between big-hatches and entry level SUVs.
That is what I meant. The EcoSport is a mini-crossover, right? So just like the EcoSport, there is the Fabia Scout that does pretty-much the same job. Maruti's new mini-SUV also is designed along the same lines.

In the coming years, we will see a slew of new segments cropping up. And words like 'mini' and 'CS' will be the buzzwords. After all, the need of the hour is a small, compact, fuel-efficient, environment-friendly and spacious car. These cars will be JUST THAT.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th January 2012 at 23:00.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:30   #117
BHPian

The petrol engine seems a tad bit innappropriate for the intended market.Why don`t they plonk the 1.4 tdci motor in it?
Old 5th January 2012, 23:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Looks bloated and out of proportion
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
would call it a raised hatchback !!
Agree with these views. I feel body shell should end where dual tone towards bottom starts. I wish Ecosport handles well & doesn't give boat like feeling.

Tail gate: How does it open? Vertically? If yes, hope the door weight isn't too much.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:44   #119
BHPian

I feel the ecosport will do very well if priced below 10 lakhs. It seems to be in that 4 meter bracket which gets no extra duties so i guess it wont be priced too high.
looks great to me, small compact and has a nice Suv stance.Hope Ford gives a 4x4 or AWD and a nice 6 speed power shift gear box,will be great if its below 10 lakhs Ex-shoroom

I Dont think anyone has driven in a 1 liter ecoboost powered car so we should refrain from commenting on that engine till it comes out! Even then 170Nm of torque in a car that may weigh slightly more than the figo sounds very good.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

A few more pics of the EcoSport..
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-img_0931.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-img_0932.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed