Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:09   #1201
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Mostly yes. Since Mr. Boneham has been reluctant to confirm the engine, me doubt whether it could be a VGT version of fiesta engine with a better output - say a 110 bhp! Well, we don't lose anything by hoping so!
Ya ya! Why not? While we are at it let us also hope for a vgt in the refreshed figo . Even better, the same 1.5, 110 hp in figo :P
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:50   #1202
BHPian

Mr Boneham and his colleagues have told me that they'd rather invest in a global platform when I asked them about installing the Fiesta's 1.5-liter engines on the Figo.

The Figo Facelift will be very much like the operation carried out with the Classic - a few cosmetic changes and inclusion of new colors. Ford India will wait for the next generation B-Segment car (Ford Ka successor) to offer dual clutch transmission, Ecoboost engine, SYNC, etc.

The Figo is a reskinned previous generation Fiesta that was conceived before the "One Ford" global strategy.

Regards,
Shrawan Raja
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:27   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Segment 1 - Convert Prospective customers for higher end of the hatch-back (B) segment - buyers who may otherwise have gone for a Honda Jazz/VW Polo/Skoda Fabia etc.
Segment 2 - Convert prospective Sedan buyers of C-segment cars such as VW Vento/Skoda Rapid/Hyundai Verna/Honda City who are willing to spend at 9 -11 Lac OTR. The variant would have to be well specked, definitely with 1.0 Ecoboost Petrol engine or the 1.5 Duratorq for Diesel and with a rich in features.
Segment 3 - Prospective buyers of SUVs such as Duster/XUV etc. These are folks who have already decided to get a compact SUV and are doing intense comparison shopping. They may be willing to pay Rs. 11-13 Lacs OTR.
I have a different opinion here.
Segment 1 - I dont think prospective or existing hot hatch owners will go for the bare bones version of the Ecosport. they may either increase their budget to include ABS/ airbags/ features they want or just consider another vehicle. This segment is not moving to a sedan and going in for a hatch. why would they consider a base model, when they get a better specced car around 8L OTR? I am assuming they are not willing to stretch their budget to top end Ecosport.
Segment 2 - On the contrary, I think the people who will go for bare bones version/ base model of Ecosport could be those who are aspiring for base models of sedans like City, etc. these would be the kind who are aspiring more for the snob value of a vehicle than for the features it offers.
Segment 3 - this is actually a bit of a grey area. those wanting a compact SUV would consider the mini Xylo. those who want a softroader will veer between the Duster and the Ecosport or consider a preowned Yeti. it depends on the positioning of the Ecosport in terms of a lifestyle vehicle appealing to young/ small families who intend to use it for weekend drives and for their commute.
Segment 4 (added) would be those wanting a proper SUV, something like the Fortuner or even the Force One (which seems a good deal too for 13L OTR). Or those with bigger families unless they own multiple cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Just give 1 year and see how the sales/bookings move southwards on Duster. I see introduction of Ecosport, Mini Xylo and XA Alpha making a big dent on Duster.
yes, first mover advantage could peter out. but then it depends on pricing and brand positioning too. and on how renault takes care of its unknown service factor. not a lot of people would know where to put "Renolt" in the spare parts costing index (ie, in the Maruti/ Fiat range or the Skoda/ VW one or somewhere else)

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd August 2012 at 14:29.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:51   #1204
BHPian

Any ideas as to when Ford reveal the pricing?
Will it be at the time of launch or when pre-bookings open.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:39   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
As per One ford global plan, I doubt 1.4 tdci will make it to Ecosport. While Mr. Boneham has confirmed on the diesel engine, he has not provided the details of the (diesel) engine that will power the Ecosport.

Top variant for 11L OTR Bangy? People used to say the same for Duster too! And see where bare bones Duster is priced in Bangy & is it still a dud? We are jumping the gun ! Ford India head has already stated "aggressive pricing" is on cards for Ecosport. Now we have to wait & see what is the range of that "aggressive pricing"!
The Ecoboost engine would be almost similarly priced to the diesel engine and because of this I expect Ecosport to have the existing 1.2 engine in the base model. (To have lower price band). To reduce the price tag, I think Ford may introduce the diesel 1.4 engine as well.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:57   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
The Ecoboost engine would be almost similarly priced to the diesel engine and because of this I expect Ecosport to have the existing 1.2 engine in the base model. (To have lower price band). To reduce the price tag, I think Ford may introduce the diesel 1.4 engine as well.
Two poor engines your' talking about. I mean, the 1.4 TDCi is not poor but very very under powered for a vehicle that has higher weight than Fiesta Classis, which itself is pretty slow.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:27   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I dont think ford will plonk the 1.2 or the 1.4 Tdci in the Ecosport, too underpowered(1.2) and it does not feature in the global engines expected for the ecosport(both 1.2,1.4Tdci).
I feel ford will just keep 3 petrols, one base 1.5,auto 1.5 and a premium 1L ecoboost,the rest will be the 1.5 tdci.The ecoboost will be expensive for ford to plonk it in the ecosport due to it being a new engine and it will be full imported from Europe(lot of duties).
Quote:

Top variant for 11L OTR Bangy? People used to say the same for Duster too! And see where bare bones Duster is priced in Bangy & is it still a dud? We are jumping the gun ! Ford India head has already stated "aggressive pricing" is on cards for Ecosport. Now we have to wait & see what is the range of that "aggressive pricing"!
I expect it to be priced just below 10lakhs ex showroom Bangalore for it to be somewhere around 11L OTR.The Ecosport is 4m in length so its not bigger that the duster if you compare(which most people will compare) Ford should price it well with decent kit knowing that if/when Hyundai launches a similar vehicle they will kit it to the hilt with very attractive prices!!If Ford still overprices it,even after getting benefits in terms of less excise duty then they should really be kicked,modern/stylish vehicle bla bla bal... no EXCUSE!
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:30   #1208
BANNED

Called the dealership here in ludhiana to ask about the bookings
-when first asked it was 1 lac but then it came down to 50k
-they have absolutely no idea on the price
-deliveries expected from jan. 2013

Personally,if ford can manage to price the top end EcoBoost AT under 10 lacs (ex-showroom)
I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:41   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Two poor engines your' talking about. I mean, the 1.4 TDCi is not poor but very very under powered for a vehicle that has higher weight than Fiesta Classis, which itself is pretty slow.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I dont think ford will plonk the 1.2 or the 1.4 Tdci in the Ecosport, too underpowered(1.2) and it does not feature in the global engines expected for the ecosport(both 1.2,1.4Tdci).
I feel ford will just keep 3 petrols, one base 1.5,auto 1.5 and a premium 1L ecoboost,the rest will be the 1.5 tdci.The ecoboost will be expensive for ford to plonk it in the ecosport due to it being a new engine and it will be full imported from Europe(lot of duties).

I expect it to be priced just below 10lakhs ex showroom Bangalore for it to be somewhere around 11L OTR.The Ecosport is 4m in length so its not bigger that the duster if you compare(which most people will compare) Ford should price it well with decent kit knowing that if/when Hyundai launches a similar vehicle they will kit it to the hilt with very attractive prices!!If Ford still overprices it,even after getting benefits in terms of less excise duty then they should really be kicked,modern/stylish vehicle bla bla bal... no EXCUSE!
I know these two engines are underpowered, but with 1.5L petrol they will not get the excise duty benefit and I assume after putting so much effort to reduce the length under 4 M they will do a mistake of putting a higher capacity engine .

They may not bring in the same 1.4 68 BHP engine may be a re-tuned engine. Otherwise Boneham could have easily said that they would be using the same 1.5 diesel engine. The top end Manual petrol would be under 10 L and
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Called the dealership here in ludhiana to ask about the bookings
-when first asked it was 1 lac but then it came down to 50k
-they have absolutely no idea on the price
-deliveries expected from jan. 2013

Personally,if ford can manage to price the top end EcoBoost AT under 10 lacs (ex-showroom)
I would buy it in a heartbeat.
The automatic version would be slightly above 10 L, I think. (With my calculation I have put it in one of the earlier thread)
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:56   #1210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod

I know these two engines are underpowered, but with 1.5L petrol they will not get the excise duty benefit and I assume after putting so much effort to reduce the length under 4 M they will do a mistake of putting a higher capacity engine
My guess is all the effort to get the length right is keeping in view the Diesel variant. Duster is doing 80-90% Diesel bookings from what I heard and the Ecosport will probably have a similar mix. In India SUV = Diesel in most peoples' minds and by the sam token a Petrol SUV is "death by paying at the pump".

IMO, the 1.5 Diesel engine in the Fiesta should be sufficiently powerful for thw Ecosport (not a rocket but just enough for the vast majority of the Indian buyers).
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:34   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod

I know these two engines are underpowered, but with 1.5L petrol they will not get the excise duty benefit and I assume after putting so much effort to reduce the length under 4 M they will do a mistake of putting a higher capacity engine .

They may not bring in the same 1.4 68 BHP engine may be a re-tuned engine. Otherwise Boneham could have easily said that they would be using the same 1.5 diesel engine.
Check Topgear UK . Fiesta is available with the 1.4 tdci with 70 bhp. Part of the global platform? Also , 1.2 Petrol .
Old 25th August 2012, 17:15   #1212
BHPian

Guys, any information regarding Brazil launch of Ecosport.
It was supposed to be in July.
I guess i need to wait till 2013 to get a new car.
Ecosport looks promising and tempting enough to be waited.
The only factor is price, Ford should not repeat what they did with new Fiesta.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:05   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Guys, any information regarding Brazil launch of Ecosport. It was supposed to be in July.
The Ecosport was launched in Brazil on 4th Aug 2012. You can find the review with hundreds of pictures in the below link (However it is in Portuguese & you will need to used Google Translate)

Impressőes ao dirigir o Novo Ford EcoSport 1.6 Freestyle e 2.0 Titanium 2013 - Veja fotos do teste | CARPLACE - Portal do Automóvel

You can also find all the Ecosport related news in English in the below links

Ford EcoSport

Ford EcoSport Launched In Brazil At Rs. 14.60 Lakhs- Details
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 11:26   #1214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The Ecosport was launched in Brazil on 4th Aug 2012. You can find the review with hundreds of pictures in the below link (However it is in Portuguese & you will need to used Google Translate)

Impressőes ao dirigir o Novo Ford EcoSport 1.6 Freestyle e 2.0 Titanium 2013 - Veja fotos do teste | CARPLACE - Portal do Automóvel
I am trying to figure out if the foot well includes a dead pedal. I sorely miss this in my Polo. Of all the pictures of the Brazilian Eecosport, there is one that comes close to showing this area of the car, but it is too dark to tell if a dead pedal is provided or not. Would appreciate if anyone can clarify this.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:26   #1215
Senior - BHPian

The ECOSPORT looks like it'll be competing with the top end DUSTER only, in all likelihood it might get priced above the DUSTER
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks