Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 07:36   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
The news categorically says that there were no major engine mods, simple ECU remaps to make it 200 bhp machine. Here's the source:
Let's see Ford compare production to production models & show us the results. Or do the same mods they did for the car they used in the test , on the models they compared it with.

Another big Marketing gimmick from Ford, after that 32kmpl "stunt" they showed for the Fiesta.

Anyways, Ford has started to send out mails about the Ecosport. Looks like it is on for a Diwali launch.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:40   #1262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anyways, Ford has started to send out mails about the Ecosport. Looks like it is on for a Diwali launch.
Did you or anyone else receive any such mailer from Ford? If yes then can you please share it here? I haven't come across such an email to predict a probable Diwali launch
Old 7th September 2012, 08:50   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Did you or anyone else receive any such mailer from Ford? If yes then can you please share it here? I haven't come across such an email to predict a probable Diwali launch
I did get a couple of mails from Ford regarding Eco sport, unfortunatley the pics could not be opened. Also there was no mention of any specifc launch dates. I think these mails are just to evoke some interest before the launch.
Old 7th September 2012, 09:28   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I received a mail yesterday. Here is the link that they gave in the mail.

www.india.ford.com/Ecosport
Old 7th September 2012, 09:41   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

No mention of launch dates in the mails. What I said was my guess - something like a build-up before the launch. And logically, we have Ganesh Chaturti in one month, and Diwali in about 9-10 weeks from now. Basically, what is the point of sending mails if there is nothing coming up ? A PR exercise without a target /goal ?
Old 7th September 2012, 09:44   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
A PR exercise without a target /goal ?
Just to put brakes on the Duster bookings! Target is the prospective Duster buyers.

Cheers!
Old 7th September 2012, 10:00   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Since Ecosport has the hinges on the side of the tailgate (and not top), does anyone know if they are shifting to the right side? Brazilian model has it on the left and they must change it for Indian market.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:11   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Just to put brakes on the Duster bookings! Target is the prospective Duster buyers.
but those brakes dont have enough bite for that.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:24   #1269
BHPian

After owning a baleno for a year, I am finding out that in india, instead of the adage 'no replacement for displacement', it should be 'no replacement for ground clearance'. Go on ford, you have hit one of the most important markers for me. The only bit I am not sure of is whether to buy a petrol or diesel, having recently driven a diesel vista for a long highway trip and not being very impressed with the fiat engine - the petrol engine dynamics are so much better and intuitive. However i guess one can only decide that after test driving the diesel and the petrol variants.

What is irritating is that based on one's own mileage, i can very easily decide that petrol is fine for me. But when you are unmarried, highway trips end up being with friends, and the costs are split, and then diesel cars end up being the trip cars (irritatingly).
Old 7th September 2012, 10:27   #1270
Senior - BHPian

They are making so much delay that they are losing thousands of the prospective customers. Currently apart from Figo, Ford is down. No other car doing well for them. Last month also i guess Figo numbers are largely due to problems at Manesar plant else they would have been around 4k only. Seeing current numbers of XUV, Duster and Ertiga, i am sure ford is loosing quite lot of customers. If they would have launched it, they would have gained so many customers. Off course they need to price it sensibly else we all know what will happen to it
Old 7th September 2012, 10:43   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
By offering a compact SUV Ford never looks at serious off-roaders.
Ford with its urban SUV aims at the premium hatchback segment. There may be buyers who may still prefer a hatch like Honda Jazz or a Swift ZDi. But there is another category of people who wants a compact vehicle with high seating position, good ground clearance to tackle the pothole filled roads that they encounter everyday. They would defenitly be happy if ford prices this little SUV well.
If pricing is well Ecosport will have its own audience. They might be from those premium hatch segments or sometimes it would be the entry level sedan that is going to get affected. I would say it all depends on the price. After that let the sales numbers do the talking.
Regarding the Ecoboost engine, let us do the talking after proper reviews.
SUVs are primarily meant for highway cruising, some bit of city traffic, some rough dirt and rural roads and a comfortable ride with lots of bling bling. They are not meant for off roading per se. Off-roading requires specialized off-roader like the gypsy or the Thar.

Now a compact SUV is supposed to give a combination of a fuel efficient hatch and ground clearance of a SUV, with nothing more. Don't expect a SUV road presence, space, comfort or a hatch like cornering ability from a compact SUV. Of course there will be some compromises when one combines two different segments.

In India we have a warped sense of requirements for a car. Instead of enjoying the comforts of a SUV we want it to be a road bullying monster which projects our perceived power on the road!! When such requirements are not met by a compact SUV we have complaints like 'Oh people don't make way for my Duster/RiO/EcoSport' or 'Oh the rickshaws and bikes are not scared of my car'

I wish that we mature as a driving nation, and buy vehicles for the requirements or need or for the pleasure of the vehicles they are and not for perverted reasons aka prestige/power/might etc.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 11:19   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
As per the latest review in the Autocar magazine, Fords new little SUV would be as good as a hot Indian hatch as of today. So now its clear that the pricing would be the key factor that would decide the fate of Ecosport.
The review done by the magazine seems promising as well as the estimated price gives hopes to its prospective customers who are into the market looking for a premium hatch or a compact SUV like Ecosport.
Ford has provided the link to Autocar Ecosport review in its website.
http://www.india.ford.com/suvs/ecosport/buzz
-Dinesh
ndinesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 12:42   #1273

Some more info on Autocar UK website - mainly check out the photos inside the Gallery

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...port-sale-2014
Old 7th September 2012, 14:55   #1274
BHPian

It looks like very wider if Autocar say is correct, Can't imagine width of 2060mm for this car. Either this is incorrect or first indian car of this size.
Old 7th September 2012, 17:05   #1275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
It looks like very wider if Autocar say is correct, Can't imagine width of 2060mm for this car. Either this is incorrect or first indian car of this size.
Here are a few references on the subject I could find:
1. The previous generation Ecosport sold in Brazil had a width of 1980mm as per Wikipedia link below. This is very wide, much wider than most of the cars and SUVs we have in India today. The width of the new Ecosport as quoted by Autocar is even 80mm (8cm) more, which seems unlikely.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoSport

2. Another link from Argentina quotes a more believable width of 1734 mm for the new Ecosport. This would make it more proportionate. I tend to think the width quoted by Autocar perhaps includes side mirrors. Each mirror could be about 15-18 cm and two mirrors could add up to 35cm or so, which could explain the difference.
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/au...p#.UEnZLKA28qI

BTW, The Argentine link (if true) also provides some additional information I had not seen anywhere else so far - Fuel tank capacity (52 liters) and Weight (1208 kg with the 1.6 engine). This could translate to about a 1150 kg weight with the 1.0 engine. The 52 liter fuel tank along with good fuel economy of the 1 liter engine would translate to a very good range. I have a feeling Ford is going to harp on range as one of the ways of conveying the fact that with the 1 liter engine, the petrol engine would be just as fuel efficient as the average diesel in other cars like Duster or XUV. They will need all the tactics in the book for the tough job of weaning the average India buyer away from his Diesel ways and hit good volumes with the 1.0 Ecosport Petrol.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed