Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 17:48   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Too good to be true. If they manage to pull off that kind of pricing, Duster is gonna be dusted.

But this long wait for the launch has already made potential buyers think about other options. And this ever increasing fuel prices is sure gonna be a factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Where did you get this information from? Authentic source?
It is Logic - I dont have any sources for the same.

Why ford has an edge over Duster in pricing is that it is sub 4m in length and also Ecosport Parts are shared with Fiesta and other ford products. These 2 should definetly give the edge over duster.

Quanto with shared parts from Xylo & scorpio part-bins are priced between 5.5-7.5 lacs (approx). Ford with the same sharing and little more gatgedtry like hill hold, BT connectivity etc should add 1 lac at the max over the Quanto

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th October 2012 at 17:50.
Old 4th October 2012, 17:57   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Why ford has an edge over Duster in pricing is that it is sub 4m in length and also Ecosport Parts are shared with Fiesta and other ford products. These 2 should definetly give the edge over duster.

Quanto with shared parts from Xylo & scorpio part-bins are priced between 5.5-7.5 lacs (approx). Ford with the same sharing and little more gatgedtry like hill hold, BT connectivity etc should add 1 lac at the max over the Quanto
Unfortunately what we've seen since the 60's in the Indian auto industry is that logic NEVER rules. GREED does.

I'm not complaining if what you're prophesying comes through though.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:08   #1413
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm in Brazil for a week now. Well be winding up work early today and have made plans to test drive the Ecosport this afternoon. Let me see if the car is worth its salt...
Old 4th October 2012, 19:31   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys, I'm in Brazil for a week now. Well be winding up work early today and have made plans to test drive the Ecosport this afternoon. Let me see if the car is worth its salt...
That's great. Anxiously waiting for your review. Please post as early as possible.

Any idea, how different is the Indian version going to be from the Brazilian version?
Old 4th October 2012, 19:58   #1415
BHPian

Quote:

I seriously doubt it. 1/1.5 lakh rupees less than Duster means entering into premium hatch, entry sedan segment. That would mean a premature death to the Fiesta hatch and postmortem of Fiesta sedan (cos it's already dead ). So I guess pure economics wise, Ford won't go for that kind of pricing. I expect it to be priced on par with the Duster, maybe a few grands cheaper. Fiesta hatch would slot below the Ecosport, and Fiesta sedan above it.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:49   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
I seriously doubt it. 1/1.5 lakh rupees less than Duster means entering into premium hatch, entry sedan segment. That would mean a premature death to the Fiesta hatch and postmortem of Fiesta sedan (cos it's already dead ). So I guess pure economics wise, Ford won't go for that kind of pricing. I expect it to be priced on par with the Duster, maybe a few grands cheaper. Fiesta hatch would slot below the Ecosport, and Fiesta sedan above it.
I feel Fiesta hatch may not come to India, because the Ford officials said that cost to build hatch would be more than Sedan and it is not feasible for India.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:21   #1417
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I test drove the Ford Ecosport this evening in Brazil. I was very excited as i was looking forward for the same. After a bit of drama, i was given a 1.6 litre Silver Freestyle variant (one below the Titanium, which comes with a 2.0 litre engine) of the Ethanol + Petrol Flex Engine. A short test drive was all i got as the car was to be washed and delivered to a customer later in the evening (Yes, it happens even outside India and i came to know about this only after my test drive). The dealer did not have a test drive car as they were selling as hot cakes. The waiting period is currently at 40 days.

About the test drive:
- The car looks even more stunning in Flesh
- Very silent and well controlled NVH at idle
- The plastics on the version i drove was bad and cannot be compared to my Fiesta. The Plastics on the Titanium were good and can be considered to be similar to the Fiesta.
- Body roll is present when the car is thrown on corners or driven on corners with bumps.
- Suspension felt very stiff and i could feel every small undulation on the road.
- The car felt very agile and could sprint up and down the hilly roads of Franca.
- On an incline, the car holds the brake for 3 seconds after the foot is lifted from the brake pedal. A very useful feature.
- The steering feels similar to the new Fiesta (EPS), gears were slick to use, but the clutch felt marginally harder
- Front Seats were thinner and did not have enough thigh support (much like the Fiesta classic seats), except that we sit upright and much higher. The seats on the 2.0 litre Titanium were better contoured.
- Road noise was very high when driven at high speeds on bad roads (patched roads)
- Only the Titanium gets ACC, push start/stop Burton, a different design of the alloy, Bluetooth, 6 air bags, etc.

The price here for the Ecosport starts at 53,490 Reals (14 Lakhs) and goes on to 63,690 Reals (16.5 Lakhs) for the 1.6 litre engine and around 75,000 Reals (20 Lakhs) for the 2.0 litre engine.

There were no brochures at the dealer (similar to the experience back in India). I have taken many pictures of the car and will post it as soon as i have access to lap top.

Since some of the fellow BHPians wanted me to compare it against the Renault Duster and as i did not have the time to test drive it in India, i did a back to back test drive of the two cars here in Brazil.

While the Ecosport looks modern, fresh and appealing, i was more impressed with the Duster as it is bigger, felt more sturdier and rode better on bad roads. Somehow Ecosport did not give a very secure feel (blame it on the Ford Focus we were driving for a week now) and felt very flimsy. Though there was not much difference in the interior space, front & second row(though the Duster felt wider), the boot of the Ecosport is only about 50% of the Duster. Duster is priced very marginally higher and i did not feel the price difference as it impressed me with its high quality of drive. Will try and post a separate thread on the comparison.

I don't think the Ecosport heading for India will be much different to the one i drove, as I'm not sure what Ford can trim. Ford has to sort out the stiff suspension and price it better for it to make Ecosport a success.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th October 2012 at 14:33.
MAS is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 07:51   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I feel Fiesta hatch may not come to India, because the Ford officials said that cost to build hatch would be more than Sedan and it is not feasible for India.
Is it? Some test mules were spotted a while back and there were rumors about a possible 2013 launch, after the Ecosport.

Anyways, if the hatch is not gonna be launched, then the stage is set for Ford to do some aggressive pricing on the Ecosport. Price it anywhere below Duster, and the Ecosport is gonna be a runaway success.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:01   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Pricing will be 1 / 1.5 lacs below duster category
Such a pricing would surely be something that would ensure a safer territory in the sales charts for the Ford's baby SUV. But I am not able to correlate the above estimated expected price with the feature lists as per the scoops and the Ford website.
Quote:

+1 scorpiobharath.
If priced rightly it could seriously dent the sales numbers of many. Regarding the LOGIC behind pricing the products , we keep our fingers crossed while we discuss and think of Ecosport because it is the same American manufacturer who insanely priced the 'brilliant' Fiesta is the one who is going to price this SUV too.
According to me , pricing Ecosport in par with or below the Ertiga would surely be the right pricing strategy because I am of the opinion that the Duster diesel 85PS variant with minimum safety features 'ABS and Airbags' are on the pricier side and does not make VFM(it is only the price range start from statement that makes Duster to be tagged with a 'cheaper SUV' label and the actual prices on the real world are on the higher side).
Old 5th October 2012, 08:36   #1420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Though there was not much difference in the interior space, front & second routes (though the Duster felt wider), the boot of the Ecosport is only about 50% of the Duster.
Can you elaborate on the space? I thought 3 can be seated nicely in a Duster, while they would have some difficulty in an Ecosport. (Both from width and leg room)
How is the transmission tunnel hump for the middle row? Duster is a bit flatter.

Great inputs MAS !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 08:58   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I test drove the Ford Ecosport this evening in Brazil.
You are thoroughly a gentleman, as you kept your promise of Test Driving the Brazilian Ecosport

Quote:
While the Ecosport looks modern, fresh and appealing, i was more impressed with the Duster as it is bigger, felt more sturdier and rode better on bad roads. Somehow Ecosport did not give a very secure feel (blame it on the Ford Focus we were driving for a week now) and felt very flimsy. Though there was not much difference in the interior space, front & second routes (though the Duster felt wider), the boot of the Ecosport is only about 50% of the Duster. Duster is priced very marginally higher and i did not feel the price difference as it impressed me with its high quality of drive. Will try and post a separate thread on the comparison.

I don't think the Ecosport heading for India will be much different to the one i drove, as I'm not sure what Ford can trim. Ford has to sort out the stiff suspension and price it better for it to make Ecosport a success.
Going by the above comparo, it seems the Duster is a notch above the Ecosport in most of the departments, be it ride, space, size etc. I don't think this would be much different in India, so the only way Ford can sway the customers away from the Duster towards the Ecosport, is to play the price card. Pass on the maximum amount of excise duty benefit to the customers & see the Ecosports fly off the shelves.

Looking forward to the pictures that you clicked & the comparo thread between the Ecosport & the Duster. Please share the link here.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 09:31   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
About the test drive:
- The car looks even more stunning in Flesh
- Very silent and well controlled NVH at idle
- The plastics on the version i drove was bad and cannot be compared to my Fiesta. The Plastics on the Titanium were good and can be considered to be similar to the Fiesta.
- Body roll is present when the car is thrown on corners or driven on corners with bumps.
- Suspension felt very stiff and i could feel every small undulation on the road.
- The car felt very agile and could sprint up and down the hilly roads of Franca.
- On an incline, the car holds the brake for 3 seconds after the foot is lifted from the brake pedal. A very useful feature.
- The steering feels similar to the new Fiesta (EPS), gears were slick to use, but the clutch felt marginally harder
- Front Seats were thinner and did not have enough thigh support (much like the Fiesta classic seats), except that we sit upright and much higher. The seats on the 2.0 litre Titanium were better contoured.
- Road noise was very high when driven at high speeds on bad roads (patched roads)
- Only the Titanium gets ACC, push start/stop Burton, a different design of the alloy, Bluetooth, 6 air bags, etc.
Thanks for the review MAS. This should help a lot of people decide if it's worth waiting for the Ecosport or not. I believe the model to be sold in India might have the suspension tweaked further but then again, this is a fairly tall hatchback and maybe the suspension is firm to contain body roll and Ford may not want to play with that a lot.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 09:32   #1423
Team-BHP Support

Thanks MAS for the drive report!

Quote:
I test drove the Ford Ecosport this evening in Brazil. I was very excited as i was looking forward for the same. After a bit of drama, i was given a 1.6 litre Silver Freestyle variant (one below the Titanium, which comes with a 2.0 litre engine) of the Ethanol + Petrol Flex Engine.
Brazil don’t have the 1.0 EcoBoost? I was expecting a report on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
That was my expectation as well – similar quality interiors as the Fiesta, or probably a bit lower, especially if they have intentions to play the price advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
Assume that Ford will be able to get the right tuning for the India version. Afterall ride and handling is their USP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
While the Ecosport looks modern, fresh and appealing, i was more impressed with the Duster as it is bigger, felt more sturdier and rode better on bad roads. Somehow Ecosport did not give a very secure feel (blame it on the Ford Focus we were driving for a week now) and felt very flimsy.
That’s a bit of a concern. Did it feel flimsy compared to your Fiesta? And you maybe right there – it could be the Focus effect
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:03   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I test drove the Ford Ecosport this evening in Brazil. I was very excited as i was looking forward for the same. After a bit of drama, i was given a 1.6 litre Silver Freestyle variant (one below the Titanium, which comes with a 2.0 litre engine) of the Ethanol + Petrol Flex Engine. separate thread on the comparison.
Hats off to you MAS. God bless you for bringing this information to us,the ever hungry , car crazy BHPians

I actually bought the ACI anniversary issue to scroll through Ecosport review and even after reading it , I was not too sure about space and body roll , especially body roll which I am paranoid about .

As per your observations , body roll is more than duster at the corners and you could feel all the undulations of the road which precisely has been the selling point of Duster, no body roll and a 30 lakh car like suspension system.

I am itching to sell my 1 year old Honda city ivtec for a SUV and my search has been longer than the search for the holy grail. I loved duster but waiting is too much and its price just not justify . Fortuner is 26+ and koleos is 29+ , so out of budget. I dont like overdone XUV and thus was really hoping to get all my wishes fulfilled in ecosport ; auto trnasmission,super ride and comparable prices.

Now little doubtful as I just can not compromise with a car which makes me feel every speed breaker or pothole ( ANHC is the same and why should I replace then.)

My question is , how about the space inside the cabin, I am 6 feet 2 inches, would ecosport be comfortable to drive ,ingress, egress with this height . how about the back seat space, can 5.10 to 6 feet people squeeze in comfortably ( sub 4 meter is creating some doubts here ) Please share your observations on this.

And then if nothing works out, then gota wait to see whether TML has any surprises up its sleeve with safari storme on 17th .

Thanks again for being a true blue car lover and taking test rides of both these machines in Brazil .
Maanspeedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:25   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maanspeedo View Post
As per your observations , body roll is more than duster at the corners and you could feel all the undulations of the road which precisely has been the selling point of Duster, no body roll and a 30 lakh car like suspension system.
MAS mentioned that body roll is present on the ecosport but don't think he said its more than the Duster's. Duster rides better is what he said. I am sure when the ecosport is released in India, its USP will be the ride and handling combination along with steering feedback (which unfortunately the general car buying public hardly cares about). Ford needs to price it right which became a bit easier after the recent price increase on the Duster.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks