Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2012, 19:18   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@Others : the engine belt is lubricated in oil and does not require replacement after x kms, the belt will last the entire life span if the car. This is for the ecoboost petrol only, not the diesel.
That is good, so no timing belt replacement for the entire life of the engine/car. Just wanted to know if the belt driven camshaft is more efficient or the chain driven. Also this being a tiny 1 litre engine the maintenance cost should also be on the lower side, am I right in this assumption?
Old 16th February 2012, 19:38   #452
BHPian

Quote:
@Others : the engine belt is lubricated in oil and does not require replacement after x kms, the belt will last the entire life span if the car. This is for the ecoboost petrol only, not the diesel.
Does the engine block share anything with the existing Sigma/Duratec engines, or its a completely different block ?

This question might be too early to ask, will the turbo be sourced from TEL like for the Duratorq?
Old 16th February 2012, 20:12   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Did you mean to say here that Ford should have developed a 1.2L Ecoboost engine & plonked it in a hot hatch? Otherwise how can an Ecosport be put in a hatch? Too much of "Eco"ing has taken a toll of us
Has taken a toll on me for sure!

Quote:
0-100 in 11 secs in a ford focus. Also if you think its not much of a technological innovation then i cant help you with that. You should check out the engines in cars less than 20 lacs and then let me know if you find any which is more technologically advanced.
I never said so. You must have mis-understood.
As an automobile engineer specially being with the engine department, I do keep a track of the latest developed. I dont think there is any 1L engine delivering better perf that this one.
What I said is, it might not be appreciated by the mass market.
Old 16th February 2012, 20:26   #454
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic

Does the engine block share anything with the existing Sigma/Duratec engines, or its a completely different block ?

This question might be too early to ask, will the turbo be sourced from TEL like for the Duratorq?
The question is not very early to ask. The turbocharger and the assembly has been manufactured by Continental Germany for the ecoboost 1.0. The engine block is completely different from the sigma series of engines.

@AutoIndian : Yes maintenance costs will be lower than a traditional 1.6 ford petrol motor.

@oxyzen : ok sorry for that. The whole indian market is governed by price. Lets see if the company gets it right this time. I have a hunch it will.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 16th February 2012 at 20:28.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 21:20   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Others : the engine belt is lubricated in oil and does not require replacement after x kms, the belt will last the entire life span if the car.
As I said before (4th Jan),
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
PS. Everything about the EcoBoost engine. Oil lubricated belt? Variable displacement oil pump. Is cooling reverse flow? Weight of engine. Sp Fuel consumption. Emissions. RPM limit. .....
Technical details would be more interesting than requoting publicity material.
Like what is the material of the belts. (Because elastomers normally do not like oil. Which is why timing belts are run dry.) Advantages/ disadvantages compared to belts/ chains/ silent chains? Is this patented? etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th February 2012, 22:46   #456
BHPian

Here are a couple of more drives that I found for the Focus 1.0 Ecoboost:

Ford Focus 1.0-litre driven - Auto Trader UK

Ford Focus 1.0-litre review - Telegraph

Some more insight into how the engine will drive, though the car(s) will be different.
amitg79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 00:53   #457
BHPian

{I know its off topic} Just this funny thought came to me as i read the specs the 1.0 engine in the ecosport delivers 123 bhp and ~25 kmpl, while the 2.4 D-4D in the Innova does 100 bhp and 11 kmpl ( I know they are worlds, apart, their market and usage is different, the strategy is different etc etc..), it was just a funny thought!

The CO2 that comes out does not care who is producing it, it will still do its contribution to global warming, just thinking like the govt as tax brackets for engine size and length etc (which is a 1950's thought process), should the CO2 rating also not be a deciding factor!

Well, let see what the eco-sport has in store for us!
Old 17th February 2012, 11:17   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Here are a couple of more drives that I found for the Focus 1.0 Ecoboost:

Ford Focus 1.0-litre driven - Auto Trader UK

Ford Focus 1.0-litre review - Telegraph

Some more insight into how the engine will drive, though the car(s) will be different.
Thank you for posting the review! Now i am very interested to see it in action soon!

it is very important to realize that earths natural resourses are dwindling and we cannot take fuel as granted forever! Its innovations like these which are need of the hour & i am glad ford is investing in development of these frugal engines.
Old 17th February 2012, 14:03   #459
Senior - BHPian

+1 ajnagpur, thanks to Mustang for the information provided. before seeing his posts I didnt know any of the details that he has kindly shared.

I dont understand what the fuss is about getting more info. I am glad with what I get to read here. If there are no further details posted, it could be because Mustang does not currently have access to those. He may post them later when he knows of it. No point trying to build Rome in a day. Better to hold those horses for now and wait up for things to progress as time goes ahead.
selfdrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 15:39   #460
BANNED

+1 ajnagpur ! we should be happy for what ever info we get courtesy Mustang 1o1 rather than crib for what we don't (glass half full rather than half empty.. remember..?)
ridinthru' is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 20:34   #461
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this has been shared earlier, but for the technically inclined people this should suffice for the time being.

FS_Ford1.0-litreEcoBoostEngine_EU.pdf
Old 17th February 2012, 20:47   #462
BHPian

Wanted to check with the team here, does anyone know when the Concept car will be on display in Bangalore Malls. Eagerly awaiting to see it.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:34   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post
I beg to differ here.

Whatever information is coming from @Mustang.101 had been new to me & I am very happy to know that by the medium of TBHP.

Agree. One might be Technically very Fundoo but then he cannot blame Mustang that he is giving usual marketing material. We can simply ask him for more details and if one already knows what he posts then one can ignore it & let others read who dont know about it.

Basically all I want to say is we should appreciate if some insider is giving information and not dermoralize.

No offense folks !
At the forum, we all believe @Mustang.101 is voluntarily providing the information in his possession since we are interested in it.

Believe there is a 'need to know' enforced by every manufacturer to ensure that confidential/proprietary information is not shared out. Anyone who would like to know all the intricate details of the engine can very well buy the product once it's available and follow what our neighboring countries do (Reverse Engineering).
andromeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 00:23   #464
BHPian

Sorry for off-topic! I didn't like EcoSport's looks both from pics and when I saw it myself at auto-expo. But this pic is making me think that EcoSport actually looks quite beautiful and aggressive at same time

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-327362_359552410740955_100000585985716_1327045_885940087_o.jpg

Source - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7500478&type=3
DevilsCry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 13:54   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This is actually more on topic than you think

While I never disliked the looks part, this pic is really amazing. Must be something to do with the headlights and alloys!
A pic does more for the product in the aesthetics area (either positive or negative) than a thousand words. Maybe thats why we keep saying looks are subjective
I am really surprised that there has not been more discussion on the looks part. The XUV thread in the initial days had so much looks bashing (pre the price announcement) and in a total contradiction the unorthodox ecosport looks seem to have gone rather well.

My personal preference is more the orthodox looks - similar to the Ford Escape (2010 - 2011 models) would be perfect. This new Front end looks way too funky. Also wonder why a 4 wheel drive/AWD is not being offered...even if is just a option.

Last edited by rohing : 18th February 2012 at 13:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks