Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 22:10   #1831
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Caught the Ecosport , infact two of them . Both in the Dark blue color as that of the facelifted Figo . No camouflage, at-least in the front. Dunno if the Ford logo was cloaked or not. Couldn't notice that.

Location - MG Road, Pattom, Trivandrum.
Time - 5:45pm

Guess one was TDCi and other was Ecoboost. Both were in the opposite lane . Was unable to take a snap . Thought of turning back and following a bit, but, was in a hurry today. Both were going, one after another. Indeed i went , when i saw it because spotting an upcoming car at Trivandrum is very rare.Infact, its very first i guess.

The car was looking very good in that blue shade . Wasn't able to see if it had alloys or not. hence dont know if its top-end trim or not. it wasnt like Scorpio or so. It was that blue that caught my eye. if it were on Silver or white, i doubt, if i will notice it.

Guess both are right now at kairali ford,Trivandrum . May head over to kairali Ford tomorrow to check out, if its there.

Edit: It was doing a test run or what ? Or the launch is pretty near ? because doing testing in trivandrum seems odd.

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 19th December 2012 at 22:13.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:15   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
The Ecosport does look Puny in front of Innova.

Puny? Smaller may be, but puny is a little over-statement. But does it matter? Even cars costing 5 to 10 times Innova like Audi/BMW SUVs look smaller next to Innova. In any case, Innova is a paople mover/van/aiport shuttle taxi, and not an SUV by any yard stick so no point comparing here.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:41   #1833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Puny? Smaller may be, but puny is a little over-statement.
Yeah, why should it matter? In my view, the puny dimensions are its USP - a small city hatchback sized car which caters the SUV aspirations of the car buying public.

And there is actually quite a bit of cross-comparisons happening between SUVs and MPVs, which is indeed a bit weird. For me, these body types caters different sensibilities.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th December 2012 at 22:47.
Old 19th December 2012, 22:45   #1834
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Yeah, why should it matter? After all, the puny dimensions are its USP right?
Nope, the USP is the low price for an SUV. and in India,if it ain't Big, it ain't an SUV
Old 19th December 2012, 22:59   #1835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Nope, the USP is the low price for an SUV. and in India,if it ain't Big, it ain't an SUV
Actually, if people want to buy a SUV, they will buy a SUV.

This car will not affect the sales of the Safari, Scorpio and the like. It's aimed squarely at the sedan-buying populace who'd rather have an alternative to a 3-box car.

It's USP is certainly its compact dimensions coupled with its 'SUV' like presence.

Even when you compare it to the Innova in that picture, it's got 'presence'. You can't deny that!

Size and presence aren't always correlated.
Old 20th December 2012, 02:20   #1836
Senior - BHPian

I got a newsletter from Gaadi dot com saying the Ecosport has been confirmed to be launched in Jan 2013. Pricing expected to be between 7-9 Lakhs.

Dont know how true is this info though.

Here is the link http://www.gaadi.com/Ford-EcoSport

Last edited by vibbs : 20th December 2012 at 02:21. Reason: added link
Old 20th December 2012, 09:08   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I got a newsletter from Gaadi dot com saying the Ecosport has been confirmed to be launched in Jan 2013. Pricing expected to be between 7-9 Lakhs.
I got that mailer as well, that car in that price range is going to be a killer. Though i won't really count on that pricing till it is confirmed over here on TBHP (of-course ), but still a price anywhere between 7 & 7.75 lakhs for the Petrol vehicle and about a lakh of a differential between the petrol & the diesel and IMHO Duster can well say goodbye to its 5K+ sales per month. Ecosport in that price range should easily outsell each and every other car within a similar price band !!!
Old 20th December 2012, 09:14   #1838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Not sure if we can generalize like that. With time, there will be always shift in preferences. And low price is something which is just speculation at this moment. Ford has shown (with the past two launches) that they can surprise us with the pricing - positive or negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Size and presence aren't always correlated.
Exactly! If size is such a huge paramater, the Duster wouldn't have become such a success. IMO, the small Duster has got better road presence than some of the bigger SUVs.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:54   #1839
BHPian

Here is one more picture from my side. I spotted the Ford Ecosport today morning at around 8:50 Am , near Taj Coromandel , Nungambakam, Chennai. I was on the opposite lane , but didnt want to miss the opportunity and made a U to check it out closely

It was the top end Titanium model . It was trailed by a white Ford Fiesta .
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-c360_20121220084926.jpg  

Sree_Ganesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 10:04   #1840
Senior - BHPian

^^ Nice catch. This looks to be the Ecoboost version, going by the badge below the Titanium.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:06   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering how Ford will place the lower end Spare wheels since they wont be alloys. !! Free wheel cap ? somehow things wont look good if they just give a steel wheel
Old 20th December 2012, 10:10   #1842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Just wondering how Ford will place the lower end Spare wheels since they wont be alloys. !! Free wheel cap ? somehow things wont look good if they just give a steel wheel
Why don't you look at pictures of how they've done it with the brazilian versions?
Old 20th December 2012, 10:17   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why don't you look at pictures of how they've done it with the brazilian versions?
I Wish i was in Brazil too sometimes

Typically the pics will be for top end variant and by now we know how it looks. I love the Alloy design, but the high end might be above the budget for most people.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:22   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I Wish i was in Brazil too sometimes

Typically the pics will be for top end variant and by now we know how it looks. I love the Alloy design, but the high end might be above the budget for most people.
Image from: www.motorbash.com
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportwhitegrey3.jpg  

Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 10:28   #1845
Distinguished - BHPian

See another wheel (cap)? design from the pic on the previous page. I seriously hope this is a steel wheel & not a wheel cap. Looks like butch alloy wheels. Infact I prefer this design to the actual funky alloy wheel design.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121220_102644.png
Views: 2534
Size:  365.7 KB

EDIT:

One of my friend says a convoy of 5 Ecosports (white & blue - no camouflage) were spotted at Kottayam (Kerala) yesterday. However the dealers were not informed of the testing nor the cars went to the dealership (though they confirmed of testing)!

I think that cars are on Kerala roads for real world GC & suspension test! If those clear it, it should pass for thru out India! (Banging my head!! )

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th December 2012 at 10:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed