Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 09:19   #2161
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
I dont expect the features to be present on the Manual variant, as these may increase the prices. As with Fiesta, they may be introducing these on the AT spec alone. Still, we have no idea if Ford may surprise with some features on the Manual variants as well. But, I really dont see such a possibility, especially because they are not much needed in our market. Traction Control too, is not much needed in our roads, as many follow the lane system as in abroad. The mileage though can be on the higher side. But, still, with the added height and shape, the mileage may drop a bit, but not by a large amount.
Actually it is the opposite. I expect the Hill launch assist in manual. As for AT, most of the AT vehicles do this by default
Old 5th January 2013, 10:29   #2162
BHPian

Hi..

I feel they will position the mileage as
Petrol Manual/Automatic same at 17 kmpl
Diesel : 22 Kmpl

Since Im using a normal AT, by default there is no roll back happening on Drive mode. So, I dont feel the need to have Hill launch assist also on the Automatic. But it is very good to have in a manual , especially when on a steeply inclined road.

regards
Humveeguy
Old 5th January 2013, 10:35   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Actually it is the opposite. I expect the Hill launch assist in manual. As for AT, most of the AT vehicles do this by default
Depending on how the torque convertor is integrated (in AT) the vehicle may or may not roll back while in Drive mode. Some of the old ford AT vehicles used to have this roll back issue and hill lauch assist was required.

Afaik, the HLA does a little bit more than mere breaking; a sensor senses the current inclination (both uphill and downhill time) and applies breaks when it senses the degree variation say > 10degree, when the vehicle is not moving for around 2 seconds. When the driver presses the accelerator the brakes are immediately released. See the new india ford fiesta pdf manual, it is clearly mentioned, the HLA is only with the AT version. The user has the option to put it in auto /manual/off thriugh the UI in cars like mondeo

But as you mentioned, it is good if this is available with manual version. Can anybody with close contacts get this information ?

humveeguy

Last edited by humveeguy : 5th January 2013 at 10:38.
humveeguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 11:14   #2164
BHPian

The video of the latest sighting from Autocarma.in, for those who have not seen it yet.

Last edited by raj84 : 5th January 2013 at 11:16. Reason: URL change
raj84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 11:59   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Guys! Have you checked out this video review by ACI on Bloomberg TV? The reviewer strongly hints that there would be only two engine options ( 1.0 Ecoboost and 1.5 Diesel)

And this old one for the late comers

It sure looks great in White!

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 5th January 2013 at 12:04.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 12:20   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Guys! Have you checked out this video review by ACI on Bloomberg TV? The reviewer strongly hints that there would be only two engine options ( 1.0 Ecoboost and 1.5 Diesel)
This ACI video review is 4 months old, whereas the news/ rumors of 3 engine options for ES are pretty recent. AFAIK, IAB even refered an interview with a Ford India official to confirm this.
Old 5th January 2013, 13:21   #2167
BHPian

So many colors in the Ecopsport that have been spotted till now i.e. black,red,funky yellow,blue,grey black and white. Which color do you guys think suites it better and makes it look bigger than it actually is?
Old 5th January 2013, 14:03   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Do note that ES doesn't enjoy any excise duty benefits in Brazil and hence costs more than Duster. Situation could be even better here, since the ES would most likely be priced lower than Duster.

I can definitely see more numbers in favour of ES in the Indian context, considering the interiors of ES are decades ahead of Duster. The recent surveys have indicated the buying decision of Indian customers to be more influenced by the interior quality than what it used to be in the past.

A.S.S quality and 'costly spares' perception about Ford in Tier 2 and Tier 3 cites is still a concern and would be a factor that ES needs to fight out. I would probably buy an ES in Hyderabad since there are multiple options for A.S.S and hence better quality too but in Calicut, its a monopoly and some of my father's friends used to send their Fords to Cochin for service after being fed up with the experience in Calicut. I'm pretty sure I can never convince my father to go for Ford in Calicut unless they open another service outlet here and they prove to be good.

Luckily for Ford, Renault hasn't proved better in that department yet and hence the battle should still be relatively even. If they wait loo long to launch ES and end up launching it near to the Maruti XA alpha launch, that would be a huge challenge to Ford.
I hope that the ES does well in India. As far as the car having an advantage over the Duster in India is concerned, I am not too sure. In India most people want their SUV's to be big and have a presence.

The ES will be the first small SUV ( soft-roader) that is successful. The Fusion and Yeti have been flops. The only successful model in the category is the Quanto (well I know that it is very crude and agricultural).o
Ford will be hoping to appeal to a younger, more modern audience who value technology. it will have the best interiors in its class ( hopefully) and will be easy to drive and park and appeal to lady drivers as well ( this is the segment Honda and Toyota targetted with the CRV and RAV 4 in US and Europe almost 15 years back with great deal of success)

Last edited by rajneeesh : 5th January 2013 at 14:13.
Old 5th January 2013, 14:58   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

I hope that the ES does well in India. As far as the car having an advantage over the Duster in India is concerned, I am not too sure. In India most people want their SUV's to be big and have a presence.

The ES will be the first small SUV ( soft-roader) that is successful. The Fusion and Yeti have been flops. The only successful model in the category is the Quanto (well I know that it is very crude and agricultural).o
Ford will be hoping to appeal to a younger, more modern audience who value technology. it will have the best interiors in its class ( hopefully) and will be easy to drive and park and appeal to lady drivers as well ( this is the segment Honda and Toyota targetted with the CRV and RAV 4 in US and Europe almost 15 years back with great deal of success)
Duster is successful and Ecosport is more or less close to Duster. So, there is no reason why Ecosport would fail, unless Ford decides to price it at premium.
Old 5th January 2013, 15:35   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Duster is successful and Ecosport is more or less close to Duster. So, there is no reason why Ecosport would fail, unless Ford decides to price it at premium.
Duster is some what bigger than the ES and is more conventional in its looks. It also has more luggge room. The ES though butch looking is almost the size of a big hatch.
Old 5th January 2013, 17:43   #2171
BHPian

More Ecosport test mules caught on a rainy day.

Brasil/Argentia Test Drive video.

bageherath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 18:28   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
More Ecosport test mules caught on a rainy day.
The stance and stability under acceleration also looked quite impressive.

The yellow looks quite sporty. Like this colour , long awaited return after it was seen on the original, pre-facelift "jelly-bean Zen's" in the 1996's.
Old 5th January 2013, 18:34   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post

Duster is some what bigger than the ES and is more conventional in its looks. It also has more luggge room. The ES though butch looking is almost the size of a big hatch.
It's just your opinion. There are pics which depicts that they are close to each other. Let's wait for the car release to comment more.
Old 5th January 2013, 19:12   #2174
BHPian

Yep, completely agree. The Duster has unusually high bulges on the dides to make it look bulkier. The Ecosport, seems better toned and should I say FIT

After all, size isn't everything. It will be wider, longer and with a significantly higher road presence compared to any hatchback, and would have slightly more space than most notchbacks (Dzire etc)

Here's the pic I had posted sometime ago to compare the sizes

Source: Motorbash
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dusternewecosport.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dusternewecosport2.jpg  

Gizmokid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 19:47   #2175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
So many colors in the Ecopsport that have been spotted till now i.e. black,red,funky yellow,blue,grey black and white. Which color do you guys think suites it better and makes it look bigger than it actually is?
I am contemplating between the Savannah Gold & what I think is the most gorgeous Grey in Business in India from Ford. Read in some science journals that "Objects with more saturated colors appear larger than objects with less saturated colors" So, the brighter colors are theoretically supposed to make the car 'appear' bigger, but somehow I always felt my grey Swift looked bigger than the red
Closed Thread

Most Viewed