Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 11:55   #2236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

That's a perfect recipe for disaster
From a safety point if view. But going by how much safety consciousness is there on our roads, I don't think folks care about a safety kit if they can get the car cheaper.
Minimum safety kit in vehicles needs to be mandated by law for people to start driving safer cars.
gomzi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 12:00   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
That's a perfect recipe for disaster
Not at all, see the new Fiesta, the safety kit has it priced out of the market, without wide tyres and airbags, the pricing could have been much better. We had the Fiesta(now Classic), the terrific mileage was because of lousy tyres, people weren't bothered by it.

PS: Parents have upgraded to the new Fiesta Titanium Plus last year.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:45   #2238
BHPian

Ecosport interior Pic:-

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-734170_574629142552769_107634641_n.jpg
bageherath is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 13:45   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
From a safety point if view. But going by how much safety consciousness is there on our roads, I don't think folks care about a safety kit if they can get the car cheaper.
Minimum safety kit in vehicles needs to be mandated by law for people to start driving safer cars.
Somehow I do not agree with this logic, that safety kit should not be standard. The kind of road accidents we see and hear around us almost everyday; demands safety kits to be standard across all cars.

Let it come at a price, I guess if it gives human life more chance of survival better it is.

Also Why would someone take thinner tyres will that not take away some stability ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
Ecosport interior Pic:-

Attachment 1035593
The interiors are appealing. Just the rear glass looks too small, parking sensors will be a must

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2013 at 14:58. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use edit / multi-quote feature.
rajesh.sml is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 13:59   #2240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Ford should learn from Renault and not bring the new 1.5D that is in the Fiesta, it will only add to the cost of the EcoSport in a price conscious market like India. The 1.4, that is already doing enough volumes, can be tweaked and it will be up to the job. The new Fiesta has shown that Indians don't want to pay a premium for kit or safety, Ford would be wise not to make the safety kit standard on the EcoSport.

This combined with thinner tyres like in the Honda City will help in economy, the major selling point in any car today. Honestly Ecoboost will do nothing for EcoSport sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Quote:
Not at all, see the new Fiesta, the safety kit has it priced out of the market, without wide tyres and airbags, the pricing could have been much better. We had the Fiesta(now Classic), the terrific mileage was because of lousy tyres, people weren't bothered by it.

PS: Parents have upgraded to the new Fiesta Titanium Plus last year.
I can't understand, for the life of me, why base-variants without important safety-features are being propagated, and here in T-BHP at that! For what? Just so that the price of the car comes down?

I've said this before and I will say it again. You CANNOT put a price on safety. So what if the car is 50k extra. Make people understand that safety features are just as important as anything else. You wouldn't go out into the biting-cold without a jacket / sweater just because it's too expensive to buy just for one season in the year, now, would you?

Please understand that car-manufacturers are short-changing us by giving us variants sans safety-features. And we ourselves are to blame for this! Let's be the change!
suhaas307 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:27   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh.sml View Post
The interiors are appealing. Just the rear glass looks too small, parking sensors will be a must
Why would they make rear glass so small when they have so much area available?
Old 8th January 2013, 14:29   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I can't understand, for the life of me, why base-variants without important safety-features are being propagated, and here in T-BHP at that! For what? Just so that the price of the car comes down?

I've said this before and I will say it again. You CANNOT put a price on safety. So what if the car is 50k extra. Make people understand that safety features are just as important as anything else. You wouldn't go out into the biting-cold without a jacket / sweater just because it's too expensive to buy just for one season in the year, now, would you?

Please understand that car-manufacturers are short-changing us by giving us variants sans safety-features. And we ourselves are to blame for this! Let's be the change!
Indians would do anything to put that extra 50K FD in the bank even if means that he might end up in a garlanded photograph in the living room.
civic-sense is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:38   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Indians would do anything to put that extra 50K FD in the bank even if means that he might end up in a garlanded photograph in the living room.
Eerily funny
Considering the irresponsible ricks & buses, the perpetually late office goers (including me sometimes ) who are jostling on the road, the bikers who always seem to be driving bang in the middle of the road in oblivion, and finally all the relatives of Micheal Schumacher on the highways, of all the places, India should have the safety features mandatory for anything on 4 wheels sold here
Gizmokid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:01   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

You talking of FD, thats still some saving they are doing but i have seen people buying base or mid versions with 1 airbag or no airbag/abs and then spending atleast 50-100k on in car entertainment systems, woofers and amplifiers. Sound quality is more important than life, 80% people dont even know the importance and working of airbags. Heck, one can get ICE fitted later, maybe a year down the line but can you get aftermarket airbags or abs? It should be made standard like Honda but companies dont want to lose their sales.

Back to topic though, the interiors are looking good for a change but in one of the earlier photos, the car was looking a bit cramped up front, the dashboard is huge.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:10   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

I was propagating it from a business point of view, the fact is that people will skip the safety features if they can get alloy wheels and a music system. The Swift sells in the non ABS version by the thousands, you rarely come across a loaded one. I am taking this as an example to prove that to achieve high sales, safety kit is not necessary, most people will opt to skip it. In fact most people buy the L or V variant and add alloys and ICE worth about 2 lakh, shows you what their priorities are.

I have a Fiat Punto Emotion(now Dynamic) which is the only mid variant hatch with ABS, Fogs and Rear wiper, the rest of the bunch give you parcel trays and body coloured handles unless you opt for the top end variant.

Ford should keep the safety kit optional if it wants to price EcoSport nicely, that is the reality of the market.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:24   #2246
BHPian

Optional safety kit is the best way forward, if manufacturers can offer the safety kit as an option across variants that itself can make a huge difference.

Ex: Rxe variant of Duster doesn't offer Abs/Airbags even as an option. Same with other manufacturers
Old 8th January 2013, 15:34   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
I was propagating it from a business point of view, the fact is that people will skip the safety features if they can get alloy wheels and a music system. The Swift sells in the non ABS version by the thousands, you rarely come across a loaded one. I am taking this as an example to prove that to achieve high sales, safety kit is not necessary, most people will opt to skip it. In fact most people buy the L or V variant and add alloys and ICE worth about 2 lakh, shows you what their priorities are.

I have a Fiat Punto Emotion(now Dynamic) which is the only mid variant hatch with ABS, Fogs and Rear wiper, the rest of the bunch give you parcel trays and body coloured handles unless you opt for the top end variant.

Ford should keep the safety kit optional if it wants to price EcoSport nicely, that is the reality of the market.
Having the safety-kit on only the top variants will prove to be costly, but if it is available on all variants and the company manages to sell sufficient volumes, then the costs can be kept low.
Even if it becomes mandatory for all car manufacturers to provide the safety-kit as standard, the costs might increase marginally as economies of scale will come into play.
msmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 15:49   #2248
BHPian

Even the sales staff in showrooms push the lower variants by saying things like "ABS is a waste in cities", "air bags are useful only in high speed roads of western countries" or even "its very costly to replace the airbags after an accident" (a maruti sales man actually told me this and then I asked him about the life that airbag would have saved in that accident!).

The fact is the majority of buyers in the range below 10lakhs care only for mileage, alloys, mileage, stereo, mileage, reverse camera...
Old 8th January 2013, 15:54   #2249
Senior - BHPian

If you allow manufacturers to provide safety as optional, all you can do is educate the customers. After that its their choice if they want to listen to good music and die or whatever.
Old 8th January 2013, 15:58   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Even the sales staff in showrooms push the lower variants by saying things like "ABS is a waste in cities", "air bags are useful only in high speed roads of western countries" or even "its very costly to replace the airbags after an accident" (a maruti sales man actually told me this and then I asked him about the life that airbag would have saved in that accident!).

The fact is the majority of buyers in the range below 10lakhs care only for mileage, alloys, mileage, stereo, mileage, reverse camera...
+1

This is what happened when I bought my Fiesta ZX TCDi(ABS) way back in Jan 2006 , the sales person told that if you book with ABS it will take 3 months delivery time and why you want to waste 28 K on it. I told "boss can you bring the life back in such scenario".

I feel 95% of the sales guy's are not trained properly!

Last edited by bageherath : 8th January 2013 at 16:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed