Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 19:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Ford EcoSport Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion on that thread.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-1-dscf1779.jpg

• Ford unveiled the EcoSport today, just a day before the 2012 Auto Expo.
• This is the 2nd global product of the 8 promised launches Ford has lined up for India this decade.
• The EcoSport will be powered by a 1.0-litre, 3 cylinder Turbocharged EcoBoost petrol engine.
• Expect a 5-speed manual transmission. No other engine or transmission options were mentioned at this time.
• Ford’s figures show a power output of 118 BHP and 170 Nm of Torque. Impressive for the small displacement engine.
• The engine features Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) which plays a part in the turbocharged engine’s peak torque starting at 1,300 rpm!
• The EcoSport is based on the 2011 Fiesta platform.
• What’s shown here is NOT the production model so we can expect a few things on the body-shell to change before it hits the roads. The EcoBoost engine is confirmed. Interiors were not shown.
• The car has a purposeful stance which looks good when seen from the front and side.
• The trapezoid grill, which Ford says is part of their design DNA (as also seen on the 2011 Fiesta) becomes a noticeable feature of the EcoSport.
• In terms of size, it’s a compact SUV.

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1758.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1763.jpg

Added by Rehaan on 7th Jan 2012

A few of us got to have a short talk with Nigel Wark (Executive Director for Marketing, Sales and Service) and J Mays (VP Global Design & Chief Creative Officer) of Ford. Highlights :
  • Sub-4m for the EcoSport is confirmed. In their own words, it would be foolish not to squeeze the EcoSport into that bracket.
  • Why isn’t the EcoSport the Fusion? From Fords research, the Fusion just did not have the “package volume” (ie. Interior space) that was desired in countries like Brazil and India.
  • The Fusion is dead. There was a flat “no” when asked about the chances of it being revived in the Indian market.
  • Ford says that the EcoSport will look almost identical at launch. Only a few minor changes will be made. My guess on the changes : Less flashy front grille, headlamp redesign, smaller wheel/tyre combo (slightly reduced ride height), no spare tyre mounted on the rear tailgate.
  • Despite the “compact SUV” stance, Ford claims that they are focusing on making the EcoSport have the typical “fun to drive” character that their other vehicles are known for.
  • Fiesta S for the latest generation? Nigel Wark said “We all loved the old Fiesta S. Unfortunately, no one bought it!”. That explains Ford’s current thinking on the “S”.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2013 at 08:55. Reason: Link to Review
parrys is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:41   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Ford EcoSport Revealed

Its a good looker no doubt and that alone coupled with its pretensions of being an SUV will get it some good traction. I think the Premier Rio opened this segment up well and unleashed a certain hunger, but alas, they were too short sighted and incapable to capitalize!
If this vehicle is offered only in 2WD trim here in India then there are a lot of takers on account of price alone.
But the sad thing is this 3 cylinder engine which some have commented about.
I wonder how its performance will be overall.
Any idea of the other tech specs, dimensions, ground clearance etc?

I am with george though in saying that they could have quietly continued or re-launched their Fusion TDCi with ABS and Airbags as standard and possibly 4WD thrown in for good measure in atleast one variant. Now that would have actually become the budget conscious person's Yeti and would in my opinion, have set fire to the marketplace!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th January 2012 at 19:43.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Is it just me or is it awkwardly high and (because it) has a short wheel base.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:53   #4
BANNED

Very much like a Nissan Juke. SWB, high GC and a nice upright stance, though aggressive and purposeful looking.
Whether it will walk the talk I dont know, but I would like to think it will, given Ford's driving dynamics!
And my friend on this forum Mr Ampere is just dying to buy one on account of driving dynamics and I sure hope they get it right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is it just me or is it awkwardly high and (because it) has a short wheel base.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1767.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1780.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1778.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1777.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1783.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecoboostengine01.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1784.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1819.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-dscf1782.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th December 2012 at 17:24. Reason: Removing link to more pics
parrys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 19:56   #6
BANNED

re: Ford EcoSport Preview : Auto Expo 2012 --

Do let me know how big it is in comparison to a Yeti or a Scorpio please!
Since it is a CUV Im guessing it cant be that large and perhaps the comparison with XUV wont be the right yardstick!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 20:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
The engine options are well.... disappointing.
For the petrol 120 PS is adequate for an SUV but 170Nm isn't. Then comes the inherent unbalance of the 3 pot... there goes the refinement. I would rather have a proper 4 pot engine.
And as far as the diesel goes, it is not an entertainer in Fiesta. No way will it be adequate for a SUV.
I Dont think 170Nm of torque is disappointing! This is a mini Suv, slightly bigger than the figo and may weigh slightly more, from what is mentioned on the net.

It will be quite some time before the car is available in the showroom so we can only assume what the final product may be.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:01   #8
BHPian

I am in the market for a small SUV and now am disappointed. Would take atleast an year to launch. One suggestion to ford would be to get rid of the sub 4m size and lengthen it for better proportions like the Duster and Yeti. Awaiting the launch of the Duster!
Old 4th January 2012, 20:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The car is tall so feels big. We could not get a close look on the inside but I would guess based on the outside that it is a 5 seater. So it can be compared to the Yeti outright just in terms of seating capacity.

Beyond that it is hard to say.
For actual space that the car can offer; we would have to wait till it is production ready.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 20:09   #10
BANNED

Thanks a lot for your quick revert!
It will be worth getting its dimensions and GC and other tech specs before a comparison can be made to the old Fusion, the Yeti, the upcoming Duster and possibly the Nissan Juke.
I would love to see such a detailed comparison myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The car is tall so feels big. We could not get a close look on the inside but I would guess based on the outside that it is a 5 seater. So it can be compared to the Yeti outright just in terms of seating capacity.

Beyond that it is hard to say.
For actual space that the car can offer; we would have to wait till it is production ready.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have this strange feeling this car is not going to be cheap,and we can face another Fiesta here.The ecoboost technology,lower production numbers and not so high local content(I think) might just make this no where near 8 lakhs.

Production version i think shall lose some of the chrome,LEDs,smaller wheels and maybe the roof rails.

No Diesel?!

Last edited by avishar : 4th January 2012 at 20:23.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Not Yeti or Scorpio but from Ford website, I find this comparision. Hope this helps
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-untitled.jpg
DevilsCry is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 20:22   #13
BHPian

The new ecosport is already on Ford India's web page. Check it out there.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

So Ford have lived up to its name. Ecosport is just what its name suggests. An Economic vehicle to run having sporty performance, small 3 pot block Fsi/Tsi related engine, churning out 118 bhp is phenomenal and should have great FE.

Its is a good looking vehicle and i guess the interiors will be heavily borrowed from the Fiesta, which is a good thing. Very cutting edge. If this is the size of a Yeti (i think it willbe a tad bigger, then the price of 8 lakhs (which is what we all have heard Ford will be pricing this at) should be very bang on. Other similar vehicles sholud be worried.

Now only if Ford gets their pricing right.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th January 2012 at 22:07. Reason: earlier post deleted hence removing the request.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:24   #15
BANNED

Very nice effort my friend! Thanks!
However it would be an additional help if the actual height, width and length specs were there to compare too!
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Not Yeti or Scorpio but from Ford website, I find this comparision. Hope this helps
Attachment 864161
Closed Thread

Most Viewed