Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 17:43   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post
The black safari looks better, but the square cut or straight bumper design doesnt blend with safari's overall design.
Spot on. The sharp front end does not gel with the somewhat rounded/curvy tail gate nor does it sit well with the high roof stance of the Safari.

The USP of the Safari has always been its Macho Rambo image. Now it looks as if Rambo has become a domesticated house husband. Almost as if he has chosen to unreclaim his life.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:44   #152

Looks yuck. TATA is not learning anything from the guys at Jaguar and Landrover.
gandavadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Spot on. The sharp front end does not gel with the somewhat rounded/curvy tail gate nor does it sit well with the high roof stance of the Safari.

The USP of the Safari has always been its Macho Rambo image. Now it looks as if Rambo has become a domesticated house husband. Almost as if he has chosen to unreclaim his life.
Hows this work by inder_S1 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari-strome-2.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 17:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

Much better. It gives the headlight glass a rectangular chunky look, smoothens out the grotesque chrome lip overhang of the bonnet, and straightens out the smile of the lower edge of the grille-bumper interface.

Maybe Inder could even try fitting in the classic fog lamps - the recess in the bumper is still in the same shape in-spite of the tiny round ones fitted.

Wish real life were as easy as photoshop though

Guys any photos of the middle row yet? Most important area for family!

Last edited by ebonho : 6th January 2012 at 18:02.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

^^ Tata design should hire inder_S1! That front end looks solid yet classy and more importantly, gives it that LR look. Maybe in the next round of cosmetic updates?
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 18:05   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hows this work by inder_S1 ?
no offense but in the above designed pic, vehicle looks bald and bit outdated. I wish Tata would have gone with completely new platform for Storme instead of upgrading and face-lifting the old model. But as of now it looks to me as classic hybrid of modern and old school SUV.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:05   #157
Senior - BHPian

I am OK with this new avatar of Safari. Agreed, it has lost its macho looks, but besides the spare wheel removal and few changes to the front grill, its not drastically different, especially if you look at the side profile. Most of us here on TeamBHP are disappointed due to the pictures in the scoop thread and our hopes and imaginations running wild.

On the contrary, since it has a new engine, new gear box, better suspensions and much better fit & finish, it seems to be a better deal. The biggest challenge for Tata is the price. Ideally, the price should be in the range 9-11 lacs ex-showroom. And please for God's sake, make the safety features as standard. Its better to have ABS and other stuff while riding this monster. If safety features become standard, Tata will see good volumes with Storme. However, I doubt about this. Indian and most other companies (Except Honda and New Ford Fiesta) use safety features as something to cash in, keeping those only on the top-end variants.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 18:09   #158
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for these pictures and report. Many thanks GTO and tsk!!

Looks like Tata tried to improve the handling characterstics by using the Aria platform and improve the interior quality in the new Storme. My experience with my Safari shows that the vehicle was always a capable one with 2.2 Dicor engine. Hopefully the new Storme will be a winner in the market - pricing is the key, I guess.

Of course, there can be many items in the wish-list - better equipment, fully integrated infotainment system, a 6th gear etc. Hope the TATAs kept all the above stuff at minimum, keeping a competative pricing in mind.
sunil_k_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 18:12   #159
BANNED

A pretty glaring omission that comes to mind: They should have either provided space for, or given a double DIN sound system which could have had integrated maps, DVD player, reverse camera and the like.
Old 6th January 2012, 18:22   #160
BHPian

Downs:

Personally, i love the current design. this one's misplaced. Headlamps dont go with the hood. back looks like a Qualis Upgrade.

still not in favor of stereo being so low.

Ups:

Better plastic and dash controls, the wood looks cheap tho the intention was different. particularly loved the AC vent to left of clutch pedal and 1.5litre bottle space
Old 6th January 2012, 18:42   #161
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, is Safari Storme and Tara Merlin the same? Was Merlin a code?
Old 6th January 2012, 18:56   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera
Pardon my ignorance, is Safari Storme and Tara Merlin the same? Was Merlin a code?
Yes you are right. Merlin was just a code name for Tata Safari Storme.
saurabhdadhichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 18:57   #163
Senior - BHPian

Is that headlight is direct fit from skoda superb. ?

Nothing significant here. i have expected lot from tata.

too much disappointed.
Old 6th January 2012, 19:04   #164
BHPian

Being an existing owner of 2.2 Dicor, my reactions are...

Exteriors:
This is subjective. I like the new look (a well as old look). The new Safari looks more modern, contemporary and urban. I was expecting much worse after looking at the spy pics of Merlin. But the end product has come out very well. The tail gate treatment is very nice. It does not look ugly as Scorpio. Of course the removal of spare wheel has diminished the SUV look. But then, I welcome this change. The rear visibility in current Safari using inside RVM is very bad. I use only outside RVMs. This is much more functional. IMHO, the Safari mostly sells in urban india. So, TATA has a point in making it more urban. The front end is neat, projector headlamps are nice. Side profile could've been changes slightly to match the more flattened design. But I am happy that the overall styling is not too much different from earlier. If anyone sees this Storme, they will immediately recognize it as a Safari. For me the XUV look is too glary and I am already bored by it. For Storme, the first impression is timid and then it growns on you and remains in your mind as an elegant design.

Interiors:
Major upgrade in quality by looking at the pics. I love the simple and elegant dash. TATAs have been much better in design than Mahindras. Just compare the XUV aircon vents with this one. The knobs are modern and looks like will operate nicely. The 2WD/4WD knob is positioned neatly. The subtle changes in the door pad and alternate speaker color are nice. Though they may have used the same old rear aircon, it looks much more nicer and embedded nicely into the roof. I for one like the lighter shades as well. In my existing Safari, I have got the upholstry done in leather in light shades and it looks awesome and classy. Light shades give it a premium and very roomy feel. Many of my relatives and friends who have travelled in my Safari have all appreciated the interior looks. My only crib is the front facing 3rd rows. This is one of the major factors for an Indian Family man to go for the likes of Scorpio. Steering Mounted audio controls and bluetooth is a must have in a car of this segment. How can they miss it?

Under the cover:
I think the major part of the upgrade is in mechanicals. 5.4m Turning radius is amazing. Try to take a U-Turn in existing Safari and you'll know what I mean. By the look of it, the handling and cornering looks to be much improved. If most of the mechanical niggles are taken care of, this is a very good product.

Of course pricing well, will be the key. But as a product, I think Storme has really progressed the Safari brand.
NiTviN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 19:12   #165
BHPian

This rear spare wheel was macho, new Safari will not appeal existing owners.
Royal_Snake is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks