Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 10:54   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
If so, I don't understand why they took so long to launch this upgrade, and what were they testing on the road for so long?
If this Safari is just more of a cosmetic upgrade, I would really wish that Tata gets a proper stick in the back from the market.
In fact, some of us riding out to Bhor-Mandhardevi-Wai yesterday saw a more than normal spurt in sightings of a number of Stormes (still in camo - but drivers taking it easy with regard to people pulling up and peeking inside - some even with sheepish smiles now!) on NH4 putting the car through its paces.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:04   #227
BHPian

Could not help but comment on this thread. For a very long time, my brother and me we HUGE fans of the Safari. My brother told me that the Safari has been ruined in design after seeing the initial pics. And when I was at the Auto Expo, got to see the Strom in flesh.

Guys, this is not life how the XUV felt in pictures and later turned out to be ok in flesh. The design looks outright dowdy in person!!! What were they thinking when they made that grill (with all due respect, it looks like a mosquito net). That hideous splash of chrome, looks like a vulgar lipstick! Those wheel arches are too big to accommodate those wheels (hope they are upgraded to 17").

For a long time, the Safari held the upper hand over the Scorpio in terms of outright appeal. But sadly now despite the Scorpio being a overdone design, it holds more appeal to me (strictly personal opinion!)
Old 9th January 2012, 11:20   #228
BHPian

Below is the summary of changes based on the information available until now, I have marked my opion on these changes (positive or negative):
  1. New gearbox from Aria (+)
  2. New chassis from Aria (+)
  3. Better interiors (++)
  4. Spare wheel below the cabin (-ve going by general perception here on team-bhp)
  5. Increased width - 1965mm (subjective)
  6. Slightly reduced length - 1922 mm (subjective)
  7. Further reduction in length due to spare wheel going below the cabin (+)
  8. Reduced turning radius - 5.4m (++)
  9. Ground clearance reduced - by 5 mm (-)
  10. New front and back exteriors (subjective)
Please add if I missed anything. I have taken info on length, width and ground clearance from below link
Tata Safari Storme promotional video footage

Wonder why people are rushing their opinion and concluding without having any idea of how this vehicle drives and handles.

Agreed that looks play a major role in creating perception and brand value of a vehicle, but what if the drive, ride and handling is improved as compared to old model. I think this is a major requirement for most of us.

Also I don't understand why people are saying its the same old vehicle with new front and back. I sincerely think we should hold onto our horses until we have a official team-bhp review and then form a all round opinion rather than just commenting based on limited info.

Last edited by deepaktpatil : 9th January 2012 at 11:23.
deepaktpatil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:20   #229
AVR
BHPian

Quite agree with those who say we should wait and watch the pricing and driving experience before writing it off. Am not quite a Tata fanboy but surely don't think Tata-bashing based on little information so far is going to get us anywhere.

Few points:
-A lot of popular vehicles in the past have maintained a fairly similar look to its previous generation (large-selling like the Swift, more niche like the G-wagen, LR Series 3 to Defender).
-Given how much people liked the original Safari, TML seems to have played safe on giving it a drastic makeover. Well if they hadn't changed the look there would be people saying it looks the same. They already had a good-looking product so maybe a "drastic" makeover is not the need of the hour. This seems like the best middle-path available. Am sure we all agree, its very tough to replace a good-looking model!
-Talking about the rear, a rattling tailgate was a recurring issue with many owners. Hence, the tyre going under is quite expected.
- I am rather disappointed with the feature-set offered based on the information available. Seriously needs an upgrade there if the "Storme" has to hold a candle to the Scorpio/XUV

My key expectations from a Storme would be the following
- What is available as a feature should work always. Reliably. Better to have a smaller feature-set that always works then end up with all the gizmos in the world that look good in the showroom but let you down outside it.
- What looks good today on a new vehicle shouldn't age very drastically. Interiors really need to be up for the challenge of rough usage.
- Driving experience in the city needs to go up. Reduced driving experience and maybe reworked gear ratios will help there.
- Continue to do well on what made the Safari a great ownership experience:
1) Space and comfort. Always.
2) Relaxed and reliable long-distance family touring
3) Handle any road or moderate off-road conditions without breaking a sweat

So till we have a detailed review and price/spec sheet out, let's hold on to our horses. (@Deepaktpatil - lol. We used the same phrase to sum it up!)

Cheers,
Adi

Last edited by AVR : 9th January 2012 at 11:22.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:29   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Below is the summary of changes based on the information available until now, I have marked my opion on these changes (positive or negative):
  1. New gearbox from Aria (+)
  2. New chassis from Aria (+)
  3. Better interiors (++)
  4. Spare wheel below the cabin (-ve going by general perception here on team-bhp)
  5. Increased width - 1965mm (subjective)
  6. Slightly reduced length - 1922 mm (subjective)
  7. Further reduction in length due to spare wheel going below the cabin (+)
  8. Reduced turning radius - 5.4m (++)
  9. Ground clearance reduced - by 5 mm (-)
  10. New front and back exteriors (subjective)

I feel we miss two other points considering long journey
  1. Automatic Climate Control
  2. Cruise Control for NH Drives
Other than that if the storme gives me niggle free and comfortable vehicle, I will go for it. As some body said, if a vehicle which has all gizmos in show room and not useful in real world doesn't make sense
Old 9th January 2012, 11:34   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
... the new Safari "Storme" should be renamed to Safari "Chrome".
Dunno why, but I keep reading "Storme" as "Chrome" :(. Searched this thread for "chrome" - and you have already posted this

But luckily they have not use chrome for the door handles, as we had seen in some early pics.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:50   #232
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dunno why, but I keep reading "Storme" as "Chrome" :(. Searched this thread for "chrome" - and you have already posted this

But luckily they have not use chrome for the door handles, as we had seen in some early pics.
Which is actually available as part of the Official accessories Chrome Package for the fortuner and people do pay major bucks to buy it and it does look decent on some colours but not all.

I guess like different people like different colours and different Interiors Black, Beige, Brown in Wood, Silver or Titanium and exteriors in body colour, Grey/Black cladding and those that like Chrome on grills, door handles, light housings, door mirrors etc.

I prefer chrome on the grill and to a small extent around lights but not on the door handles or the mirrors. Aux lights do look great with chrome but most rust in less than a year and the branded good quality ones mostly have black platic covers.

The one bit of chrome that really feels a bit too much to digest is handles with chrome curves on the door outside panel side as well. Thank fully the safari storme did not go that way, infact considering that we did see that bit in some of the spy shots it seems the feedback was heard.

The Storme does not really have too much chrome I think it is just about right.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Lot of people say this is a facelift not an all new platform. A normal yardstick is the number of parts (Bill of materials) continued in the new version. According to my sources, hardly any parts shared between Safari and Safari Storm and hence we could call this as an all new version and not a facelift.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:38   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
I would be also interested to know as to how much have been shed ?

Also a BlueMe and Climate control should have been added , its not a value-ad but a basic requirement in todays time.

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2012 at 15:50. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 9th January 2012, 12:49   #235
Team-BHP Support

The looks are just, well, erm....pfft

If they can't do something better, why not just let the thing be and focus on improving the quality of the existing product instead?

I bet prospective Safari owners will take an 'All New Safari with top-notch mechanicals' over an 'All New Safari that has no idea what it wants to be anymore' anyday.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:12   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The looks are just, well, erm....pfft

If they can't do something better, why not just let the thing be and focus on improving the quality of the existing product instead?

I bet prospective Safari owners will take an 'All New Safari with top-notch mechanicals' over an 'All New Safari that has no idea what it wants to be anymore' anyday.
Cant agree more with you
Old 9th January 2012, 13:16   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I would be also interested to know as to how much have been shed ?
Was wondering the same thing. Does anyone have any info on the weight of the Storme versus the current Safari?
Old 9th January 2012, 13:17   #238
RGK
Senior - BHPian

My colleague has gone (from Mumbai) to Autoshow to decide between XUV500 and Safari Storme. I am going to recommend XUV eventhough he is a Tata admirer.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:42   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Lot of people say this is a facelift not an all new platform. A normal yardstick is the number of parts (Bill of materials) continued in the new version. According to my sources, hardly any parts shared between Safari and Safari Storm and hence we could call this as an all new version and not a facelift.
You are absolutely right. I made a list of parts shared, and not shared

Parts shared
1.Engine
2.Drivetrain
3. Chasis
4. Suspension

Parts not shared
1. 4WD selector knob
2. AC vents
3. Wood trim on dashboard
4. 4x4 badge
5. Plastic on gear knob
6. Plastic on dashboard
7. Fake wood

I have not even started, and you can see that the new safari is already 60% different.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:52   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are absolutely right. I made a list of parts shared, and not shared

Parts shared
1.Engine
2.Drivetrain
3. Chasis
4. Suspension

But somebody earlier said that the Chassis and Drive train are from Aria. Who is right here?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed