Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 17:06   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Starting price of 10 Lakh for Storme!!? God bless Tata.

Indian customer will say - Tata changed head light, tail light and removed spare tyre. Why pay few lakhs more than the old one?
Old 21st February 2012, 17:13   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Indian customer will say - Tata changed head light, tail light and removed spare tyre. Why pay few lakhs more than the old one?
This is some random website declaring their pricing predictions!!
We being Tbhpians generally take such pieces of info from random websites with truck loads of salt.

Their source could be a random mechanic at the Tata A.S.S called Raju and the price a result of the authors automotive fictional talents.

Lets wait for an official announcement before taking the price discussions any further!!
Old 21st February 2012, 17:17   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

You got the sentiment right! Would you still pay 1 million for a 5 speed GB? Even the <~ 100 bhp cars now come mated with 6 speed! TATA really needs to rethink on the price, There is a void for 9 - 12 Lakh SUV, there is the Scorpio and then the XLYO now So you can fill the gap, but would the market buy into that? May be we need to wait for the official announcement, still..wonder!
Old 21st February 2012, 17:25   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
That is bad news! Everyone loves the safari, a higher price tag may just kill it!
Old 22nd February 2012, 00:13   #425

My humble request to all - let's not comment on any speculative information. Pricing mentioned in the article is just author's guess and by no means authentic.
Nowden1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:27   #426
BHPian

The price point mentioned - Storme is a failure. Infact as per my understanding it should be around the outgoing Safari and the older safari should have a reduced cost by 50k..... this will improve the sale of both the Safari's and probably get Tata the required numbers.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:31   #427
BHPian

For a vehicle that is production ready I think the delay in launching now could be that the budget session is round the corner and it would be better to launch vehicle with right price in first go. Something Tata failed to achieve for Aria. For the Storme Tata should not target anything more than 11.5 lakhs for the top end 4X4 model. Then work down the pricing for other variants from this figure.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:07   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Tata needs to learn the art of bait and hook from Mahindra. Create an average product, then price it low to bait, once market starts to lap it up, increase prices by about 30K every couple of months, and bingo hit the jack pot.

Hope Tata has learned from the failure of Aria that no matter how good a product is, Tata doesn't have the reputation in India to sell premium products.
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:40   #429
BHPian

I dont know who should learn from what !
If TATA makes a product, "no matter how good a product is", it should be priced cheap.
If its of Japanese or European, "no matter what the price is", its worth it.

I believe, its us, the people who should learn not to have prejudice and some false mind-set.

One buying or not buying a TATA product is an individual choice. But, the same shouldnt get translated into a generic comment on its pricing, etc ...

Oh ! Btw, we are still talking for 2 pages about the speculated pricing from a 3rd party website

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:38   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
If TATA makes a product, "no matter how good a product is", it should be priced cheap.If its of Japanese or European, "no matter what the price is", its worth it.I believe, its us, the people who should learn not to have prejudice and some false mind-set.One buying or not buying a TATA product is an individual choice. But, the same shouldnt get translated into a generic comment on its pricing, etc ...
Oh ! Btw, we are still talking for 2 pages about the speculated pricing from a 3rd party website
Prem.
I agree prem with your views & in fact i think we should go the extra mile and support indian companies.
However having said that, as a consumer the value for money the car delivers is important too. Take for instance Mahindra XUV which has become a runaway hit which was completely developed in India. Safari came like the XUV 14 years back & then lost to Scorpio along the way. So when a new version comes, it should have been a completely new package along with Aria dynamics. Like Mahindra an introductory prize for Aria would have set the cash registers ringing and then it would have taken off once more vehicles are seen on the road.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:15   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If TATA makes a product, "no matter how good a product is", it should be priced cheap.

I believe, its us, the people who should learn not to have prejudice and some false mind-set.
your comment is quite funny.
Reputation has to be earned. Lets say you are the bottom 10 performer when it comes to quality of work. At the next appraisal, do you ask your boss. "Do not have prejudice, give me a good hike?"
Tata has to prove that they can make a niggle free reliable vehicle.
There are enough aria and safari threads on the forum which are proof that Tata cars out of the factory are not reliable.
So its not prejudice, its experience.

I am yet to see a safari owner who does not have rattling issues in a brand new car done 1000kms. Premium cars should not rattle. If indica rattled, I would ignore it, many small hatches do.

But a premium maker.. no ways.

Coming to Europeans and American cars, why do you think Toyota sells more than them(by a large margin?). Simply because of peoples experience.

ITs not enough to make 8/10 reliable vehicles. To be recognized as a maker of quality vehicles, you need to make atleast 99/100 reliable niggle free vehicles.

when tata does that, they can command whatever price they want.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:35   #432
BHPian

^^^ TSK, I am not differing from your opinion much. Looks like you have extended my comment to an extreme end stating some unnecessary examples.

My only point is that about the double quoted text, read it again please.

Btw, am a safari owner with 25K on ODO, no door rattling. It doesnt prove anything, just thought of sharing my experience.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:49   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are issues with their products, yes. That said, there are other manufacturers who have similar (and more critical) issues with their products, but still tend to get projected as 'more reliable' when they aren't. The perception of the brand is therefore driven by the users of the products in question. Some carmakers are able to drive brand loyalty to a point where the customer identifies himself with the brand so much that he or she even considers covering up issues so as not to tarnish the brand (and therefore themselves).

Manufacturers who are not able to create or drive such loyalty are unable to manage the few customers who make it a point to crib and shout from the rooftops about whatever product or service they use - whether its cars or mobile phone services or even the toiletries they use. Its a psychological issue, sort of like Don Quixote tilting at windmills in search of any sort of adventure in their lives. Such customers exist everywhere. Unfortunately it does not help the brand concerned, because these random individuals tend to drive opinion in the absence of Brand Champions.

Tata Motors may not have perfect products, but they certainly are lacking much more in brand and perception management. They need to learn this trick from their subsidiary JLR who have managed to create an aura around Land Rover which is a less than perfect product when compared to similar products from Japanese stables.

Last edited by Steeroid : 23rd February 2012 at 13:01.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:04   #434
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Tata needs to learn the art of bait and hook from Mahindra. Create an average product, then price it low to bait, once market starts to lap it up, increase prices by about 30K every couple of months, and bingo hit the jack pot.

Hope Tata has learned from the failure of Aria that no matter how good a product is, Tata doesn't have the reputation in India to sell premium products.

Very true. Though I would for one not really be a fan of this mode of working as adopted by some quite successfully. Evidently it works and TATA has repeatedly been left out thought they have quite clearly had had the best of intentions and made their best attempt at the product itself. Sometimes as rightly pointed out by you penetrative pricing is essential.

On another note on the discussion going on above do agree that my Safari rattled from day 1 to the last day after about 10 years, but on the other hand my Aria has not rattles even one bit from day 1 till today 1.3 years and 37000 kms on. So yes they definately have improved their quality big time but perceptions and mindsets will take much longer to change.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:38   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am yet to see a safari owner who does not have rattling issues in a brand new car done 1000kms. Premium cars should not rattle. If indica rattled, I would ignore it, many small hatches do.
tsk i dont think Safari is a Premium car, in 8.5 lacs on road you get premium hatchbacks. Safari costs you that much for the size and not for the quality. And hence such issues.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks