Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 11:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

I think they have done a good job with the looks. I really didn't want the body shell to be changed, because it offers so much space and comfort. So goiven this constraint, I definitely buy the looks.

Now, if the prices remain the same, and the underpinnings are really from Aria (is this part confirmed?) and the resultant mechanicals are really solid then I am happily going to own a Safari again, and soon.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:15   #92
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the excellent pics and report.

I think more time (as someone commented earlier) was spent under the hood and body rather than exteriors. I liked those changes though (i) front grille is not gelling well with the SUV looks. (ii) rear door treatment is quite good but the earlier spare-wheel on the door was better.
Far better fit-n-finish it seems.
Time they improve their dealership experience also.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:18   #93
BHPian

As an existing Safari owner I feel that the changes to the front end looks great. The interior does seems fresh but one has to feel it in the flesh to pass verdict. As far as quality goes, I'm glad that they've removed the spare wheel from the backdoor,no more backdoor rattle!!. the twin exhausts are ok. How it rides and handles needs to be seen. But i dont think i will go for either the Tata or the Aria when the time comes to change my Safari. Tata should have done more to convince people like me. But guess they are looking for a new kind of buyer now.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:19   #94
BHPian

I like the looks and changes in the interiors. But with lack of equipments (even manza is better in that compartment) anything above the current safari will not be accepted and it might very well go the Aria way.

I hope tata has learned!! 8 lacs anybody?
Old 6th January 2012, 11:26   #95
Senior - BHPian

I preferred the modified one, more than the new look. Looks kinda panzy. Gone are the butch looks. This looks more..umm.. gay!

Good to see the improvements in the interiors though.
This cant be the new Safari. This is just the facelifetd version of the older one.

Pricing? Learn something from the Aria, Tata. Once bitten twice shy.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:30   #96
BHPian

[quote=GTO;2634585]

Looks like the Storme gets a proper MID. Why else would there be a "Mode" button:
Attachment 864679

Looks like Storme gets Audio controls on the right stalk behind steering wheel. I have zoomed in on the image and it shows VOL and SEEK options which are normally for audio systems. MODE can be to shift from RADIO to CD to AUX.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari.jpg  

vivekshukla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 11:55   #97
BHPian

"Notice the 4x4 rotary control knob (bottom right-hand-side of the gear lever). Also, in the Safari Storme, a CD can actually be ejected / loaded in 3rd gear (existing Safari owners will know what I'm talking about ):"

No Safari owner will fail to notice this. Ergonomics is often a late realization for Tata and Mahindra. My bolero also had the same issue.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:05   #98
BHPian

I love the decals and the "done" up Storme more than the new one, somehow I'm of the idea that an SUV should be more all-terrain than a dude taking it to office just to show-off or bully on the highway.

The butch feeling is missing its more like they "corrected" all the wrongs that were present in the old Safari than anything "fresh". The aspirational statement "I want a Safari" like the cult it created with the Safari ads isn't there or its underpressed.

The only Hope since there are not many structural changes the pricing should exceed expectations, I mean not many productional changes from the current line, looks to me management has taken a call to keep production costs low at the same time "satisfy customer expectations" than "exceed customer expectations"

Last edited by kartikk : 6th January 2012 at 12:07.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:08   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved it overall,

Only things am not happy about is.

1) Absence of 2 DIN Infortainment system.
2) To a lesser extent: Why not the 156 bhp verson that is planned for the Aria AT concept - it is the same engine with just a different state of tune.

Curious / minor points / why nots?:
1) Is it the Aria platfrom? There seems to be a lot of rework on the outer skin atleast. If the chassis too is a modified Aria one it would be great and as good as totally new. Like in the new Swift or New Vista with earlier looks being retained.

2) Does it have a DMF - Flywheel? - Like the Aria.

3) I guess the bonnet will not be seen as much as in the earlier one.

4) Should be even more stable on the road with the tyre relocated below the rear and the resulting weight distribution change. Again works even more for a RWD.

5) Auto lights / Auto wipers - it is so easy to add is it there, see no mention of it.

5) LED DLR's - why not? - It really does not cost that much to build it in.

6) Airbags - is there a 6 Airbags version?

7) Disks all around? Just in front?

8) 17" alloys?

Is what we see what we get and is this as good as the released version or will there be a further revised version finally released? Pricing?
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 12:20   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@KaviPrem - am a lil surprised you say this. Manual transmission vehicles do have overdrive. Pls check the owner's manual of your vehicle, in the tech specs section.
Yes, I was not comfortable when I was writing that statement Will definitely check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Is what we see what we get and is this as good as the released version or will there be a further revised version finally released? Pricing?
ACM, When Safari 2010 was showcased in Auto EXPO 2010, it had a silver chrome alloys instead of its traditional brushed alloys. However, the production vehicles came in with the traditional brushed alloys. As far as I was told, the change was due to the feedback received in EXPO 2010.
May be, a similar thing might happen for this grill. All black, honey comb looks slightly dilutes the butch look. However, there is a chrome strip just on top of it and 2 bright lights on both the sides. So, my personal choice would be to leave it AS-IS instead of doing any black or chrome strips.

Prem.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:21   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=vivekshukla;2635338]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Looks like the Storme gets a proper MID. Why else would there be a "Mode" button:
Attachment 864679

Looks like Storme gets Audio controls on the right stalk behind steering wheel. I have zoomed in on the image and it shows VOL and SEEK options which are normally for audio systems. MODE can be to shift from RADIO to CD to AUX.
Looks like it puts to rest the complaint that 'no steering mounted controls' are available.
Think maybe Tata finds this design more durable(reliable) than a conventional one.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

As YouTube is blocked in office, finally watched the video at home last night. Puzzled as to what it was about the looks that was just not gelling (beyond the obvious rear spare wheel, etc.), kept pausing, rewinding, playing a number of times at different segments.

Then it hit me. The so-called "power bulge" on top of the bonnet slopes down into a narrow cross section front lip on profile, which gives the impression of the bonnet being "lower" as pointed out by many. Coupled with the naked wheel-less rear, it makes the Safari look like a disjointed mutation, especially on profile.

The back anyways now looks like any other bland MPV. On the way to office I was trailing an Innova and actually wondering that even its rear looked better - that's how bad TATA have screwed things up. They have taken the iconic Safari and managed to neuter it into a slightly elongated Sumo-Victa-esque monstrosity (as confirmed by my teenaged son on first view). :(

Last edited by ebonho : 6th January 2012 at 12:25.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:25   #103
BHPian

Any info on the price tag and when are the bookings going to start? Some people were saying that the bookings will start soon after.
Stillll no news from Delhi.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:26   #104
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to many, i personally liked the new Safari Strome. Front looks better than the existing model.
Spare tyre: Biggest complaint about the current Safari is the rattles with the spare tyre. They took care of that by moving it underneath. Also most of the modern SUVs do not have spare wheel out side. I do not think Safari is marketed as a pure off-roader. Removal of the spare wheel improved visibility.
jump seats: Another complaint we hear is about the jump seats at the back. Most of the people uses it as a 5 seater most of the time. For those who need a people mover, there is Sumo Grande with front facing 3rd row seats. Lexus GX470 and LR Discovery 4 got jump seats at the back, Safari is a 5 seater.
Face lift vs Major upgrade: In case of success ful models, the manufacturer tries to keep it as close as possible to the existing model. This is a common practice followed by most of the auto manufacturers around the world.
Comparison with XUV: XUV design is defenitely different, but not sure whether it is more modern or beautiful. The problem with this kind of design is you will get bored after seeing it for a while. But the Safari design is more classic, you wont get bored with it. BMW 3 series is simple when compared to a Fludic Verna, i am already bored with Verna
Even though i like most part, i would like to see the following..
LED lights: More and more vehicles are now using LED lights and every other Vista on road has an after market LED light. They should have used LED lights like in XUV.
Controls on Streering wheel. It is a must and so does bluetooth connectivity.
Touch start/key with proximity sensor:
I assume some of these are intentionally omitted to cut costs. This give me a feeling that it will be priced more or less same as XUV, not more.

Last edited by teamveevee : 6th January 2012 at 12:28.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:30   #105
BHPian

As a potential buyer, I like the output- though many of the claims need to be verified

My observations

1) Ad says reduced turning radius- I like it!

2) Interior design and finish- I like ( but reserve my comments till I see it in flesh)

3) Back seat space remains the same? Need to check after the platform change. tsk, would you confirm this?

4) Spare wheel moving down- Definitely affects the look, but have you tried lifting the wheel? Also, how is the departure angle?

5) Handling- I hope some improvement here, if so, I love it!

6) Exterior changes- I'd say it doesn't look better than the current one. Then, my car is not used to intimidate people, so I am okay with the non-offensive looks.

I'm waiting to see it
Closed Thread

Most Viewed