Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 23:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

What have the done!

The second picture of side-front picture looks more like sumo grande to me, and the rear looks like a Wagon R on steroids.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:26   #32
BHPian

I feel this one looks matured and grown up.

Hope the ride and handling have improved since Aria donated the base.

Let us not jump the guns before a T BHP test drive
Old 5th January 2012, 23:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Did you say the new Safari is toned down? Well, here’s one tastefully done up example that is so in-your-face that it will scare you! 5 stars to the front end treatment. I particular love visiting Tata & Mahindra stalls because the enthusiasts in these companies showcase one-off variants that they have personally worked on. The pride is obvious, and its unfortunate that most of these beauties remain one-offs only. Wait for the full report on the Tata stall, lotsa exciting variants of everyday cars coming up:
Tastefully done? This is the most disgusting design ever! The front bumpers seem a rip off from Omni. It's that repulsive. Don't even know what's so much to write about!
scorp 1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 23:28   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, any update on the 4WD System? Does it have 4 Low or is it the aria type?
Old 5th January 2012, 23:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

This seems like beginning of the end for Safari. From a rugged SUV they are turning it to look lik an MUV. It takes the remaining competition from Scorpio and turns towards Xylo. The back now looks bland like Xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Did you say the new Safari is toned down? Well, here’s one tastefully done up example that is so in-your-face that it will scare you! 5 stars to the front end treatment. I particular love visiting Tata & Mahindra stalls because the enthusiasts in these companies showcase one-off variants that they have personally worked on. The pride is obvious, and its unfortunate that most of these beauties remain one-offs only. Wait for the full report on the Tata stall, lotsa exciting variants of everyday cars coming up:
Attachment 864654
Attachment 864655

ARB bumpers? Yep:
Attachment 864656
Attachment 864657

Attachment 864663
More they hide it better it looks. The have put nice ornaments to this one though. At least they should have given wider wheel arches to basic body just to increase the width and increased the track for better handling on turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys, any update on the 4WD System? Does it have 4 Low or is it the aria type?
Yes the new video shows 2H 4H and 4L knob, so it will have 4 low gear but not manual.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 23:43   #36
BHPian

Guess who hired the designers from Mahindra???? TATA!!!
Old 5th January 2012, 23:49   #37

Its better if tata wiithdraws this suv from production and continue with the old one.totally disappointed by the new design. Even the air con controls look like cheap plastic bits in the otherwise well appointed dashboard. But I still prefer the console of the old safari with all those buttons at the centre which makes it look like a mercedes dashboard
Old 5th January 2012, 23:49   #38
BHPian

contrary to most others, i like the new matured looks of Safari and it has clearly taken cues from Land Rover. the fit and finish also looks much better than current gen Safari. but all this may not be enough to stay in competition, what TATA has done with this can be called "improvement"; it is, in no ways, "innovation" which is what they require to stay ahead (learn from Mahindra XUV 500).

are they altogether killing the current gen Safari or that would continue to co-exist as a lower variant?
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 00:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

I believe Tata just gave more boost to the XUV 500 sales.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

I like the new look. I like the old look too, and this one definitely looks more business class than before, but then Tata hasn't compromised on the 4x4 system.

What size are the new alloys? They look like a straight lift from the Aria, so I assume 16"ers? I also heard from a friend that the GC is now 200mm, and it has a hydroformed chassis - is that from the Aria - and all disc brakes with ventilated discs in front. Do they have press kits with these details?

I don't know if anyone has seen the new promotional video. Pretty neat features too.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Tastefully done? This is the most disgusting design ever! The front bumpers seem a rip off from Omni. It's that repulsive. Don't even know what's so much to write about!
Somebody please tell me what is TATA motors thinking ? I'm really curious here, to whom is the so called 'demure' looking Tata Safari targeted ? If you ask me the front of the car its so boringly pathetic add to that an over dash of chrome and cheesy cut ending in a rising swoosh forming the headlight. The rear without the wheel totally reminds me of the old world vans and not to miss the hinges that are so clearly visible. One look at the competition (read..XUV 5 ooh ooh!) this piece of whatever it is...doesn't appeal one bit to your heart or the brain !

The one-off outdoorsy model is way too outlandish, the front design and bumper styling is just to zany in my book ! I guess I really don't understand the TATA design philosophy to the point that I think that TATA doesnt really have one. I think if there one more thing TATA can pick up from the FIAT stable apart from the 1.3 MJD, its gotta be the design philosophy.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:13   #42

Oh C'mon TATA,What have you done to the exteriors, looks very decent for an SUV. You have definitely toned down the aggressive looks of the SAFARI.The steering mounted audio/cruise controls are surely missed.
We understand your engineers couldn't do anything about the spare wheel (rattles) for so long but removing it doesn't showcase your engineering that well.What I expect from you guys that you must have handled the rattling noises.They needed the attention very badly.
All in all,lets see the customer reviews,definitely XUV killer.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:14   #43
BHPian

The front looks like they tried to copy some Mahindra design and failed horribly. They should know that recent Mahindra designs are not the best place to start with. This definitely cannot be called "new"by any stretch of imagination. I think the present gen Safari looks much better than this. Wish they had retained the older model along with this. Sales of the older model would have definitely increased because of this.
@GTO - Can't really agree with you on the one - off off road model. Better that it remains a one - off model according to me.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:15   #44
BANNED

As GTO mentions, This Safari has become more of a well groomed Gentleman than the Dude with torn jeans..

I personally felt, this Safari has Better Fit-N-Finish, just wish, they price it appropriately and have been done with all those niggles which a few faced.

That Off-Roader is indeed something, just awesome.

Some guys liked Dhoom-1 but lot say the Sequel (Dhoom-2) was much better, its perception that lives with every individual, so no more comments from my end.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 00:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58
contrary to most others, i like the new matured looks of Safari and it has clearly taken cues from Land Rover. the fit and finish also looks much better than current gen Safari. but all this may not be enough to stay in competition, what TATA has done with this can be called "improvement"; it is, in no ways, "innovation" which is what they require to stay ahead (learn from Mahindra XUV 500).

are they altogether killing the current gen Safari or that would continue to co-exist as a lower variant?
I too think the same. It looks much more matured and grown over time. Waiting eagerly to know the price point. Everyone is looking at the looks and commenting, but these are subjective. Every person has his own taste. We need to know the full behavior before passing final commenting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks