Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 00:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Looks like the Storme gets a proper MID. Why else would there be a "Mode" button:
Attachment 864679
Then shouldn't the MID Screen be there on the Dash?
I didn't see it in any of the pics posted.
Or is the MID part of the Instrument Cluster?
Am I missing something?

2 DIN System with a touch screen with MID Info and a reversing camera would be just the thing to have (like in the XUV and the New Innova).
Old 6th January 2012, 00:20   #47
BHPian

Some welcome changes some not!

Overall if the quality of workman ship has improved this safari can still be salvaged to create the old butch one that we all loved.

Here is shoddy job to clean up the back. I am still thinking of where the number would go but that is not so important now or is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari.jpg  

Bailee_Jatt_Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 00:25   #48
BHPian

they have killed the mighty looks of safari that we have been seeing for years

And i think off roader is more uglier than other. It look like an SUV modified by Jermy Clarkson to work on both road and water.hehe
Old 6th January 2012, 00:26   #49
BHPian

Is this built on the new aria platform or is it the same old platform. If its the old one, then this's nothing more than a mere facelift. Still not sure what were they testing in these past years.

Last edited by turbo_delight : 6th January 2012 at 00:38.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

I like what Tata has done with the front end, thankfully hasn't gone with the ugly brash front end treatment. Lately Indian car makers have been going the chinese route of making garish faces, perhaps its whats preferred in the market. This looks a lot more contemporary and classy. Clean lines all round, no unnecessary cuts, slats, plastic mesh overdose etc... The chrome strip is a bit overdone though.

The interiors are simple but way too much fake wood!! The quality has improved a lot, at least going by the pictures. The lack of third row front facing seats ensure the Safari is aimed squarely at private buyers. Hopefully tey'll make variants without all that fake wood.

What I am really interested in is how it performs with an all new chassis. Hoping the X2 ladder frame improves the Safari's handling without taking away any of its off roading prowess!!

The fully kitted out off road variant looks delicious, but goes without saying it will remain a concept. Sad how Indian Auto makers know how to make people salivate with concept variants but will somehow never make them available in showrooms.

And finally pricing will be the make or break factor.

The XUV now easily breaks the 12 lac barrier on road for the base 2WD variants. There's a huge void in the 8-10 lac space for a pucca VFM SUV still!! Hope Tata is listening!!
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 00:45   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks much better put together than the old one. Hope they price it well too. The new additions are welcome but at the same time, I feel TATA will go the ARIA way while pricing it. I sincerely hope they don't though!

No chrome ORVM. Maybe they used up the entire 'chrome' quota on the front and back stripes.

@GTO: What is that 'black thingy' just above the last window? I remember there was a lot of speculation/discussion about it on the 'Merlin-spotted' thread.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Is the rear step motorised? Otherwise, it would need someone to manually put it back, once people have climbed into the rear.
Old 6th January 2012, 00:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

looks like a Taiwanese Land Cruiser from the front.
Interiors are definitely a step up but the exteriors are a let down.
Old 6th January 2012, 01:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Tastefully done? This is the most disgusting design ever! The front bumpers seem a rip off from Omni. It's that repulsive. Don't even know what's so much to write about!
Taste is subjective, just like beauty. I think this is why the 4x4 enthusiasts would appreciate the bumpers with the Warn winch:

ARB Bull Bar bumper and Warn winch
Old 6th January 2012, 01:45   #55
AVR
BHPian

@GTO et al,

Any indications on pricing front so far? Foresee a cut to current prices or hike? Hike would be rather stupid. Cut would shake up the market!

Adi
Old 6th January 2012, 02:05   #56

Thanks GTO . Certainly helps those who couldn't make it to the Auto-Expo-2012 to see it for real. I trust you enjoyed every bit of it, as a mass majority of the automakers appear to be very serious about what they display at the 2012 edition of Indian Auto Expo.

What a Merlin, not a Storme at all. Something that seems to have been done since the launch of XUV500 i.e. christen it an aggressive name. While the aftermarket like frontal accessory might save the day for some, its most certainly is a last minute patch up work. The frontal chrome appears to be an overgrown untrimmed moustache. The fog lambs are undersized. The re-worked interiors don’t compliment the exteriors at all. Why would you want to try a fusion of, Silver Chrome finish (door handles) + Mat finish Chrome (air vents) + Fake wood + Black Plastic + Beige? The horn pad along with the chrome bars on the four corners, resemble a fat cow flat out on its four week legs. Didn’t see a dead pedal either. On-dash clock seems to have been ripped of a 90’s wrist watch. Tata Motors never understand the theory that 90 % of the time is spent inside the vehicle? Not sure what’s the USP of this facelift.

Now on the brighter note, it appears to have been an attempt at making a subtle & mature looking Tata SUV for the export market. Which means the ergonomics may have been improved. Driveability, turbo lag, outright performance etc. should have been re-worked for better as well, considering they have been babysitting this for way too long. Although it’s a mere facelift, Good job with the rear styling as well (Oops, forgot to mask the sour looking door hinges?). Rear air-con certainly looks a part of the package.

And now the pricing, well let’s hope Tata Motors doesn’t forget their fiasco with Aria. All in all, the new design seems to have retained most of its 3-legged giraffe finesse (as once quoted by Fifth-Gear). Hope the extra “E” in Storme brings some numerology luck in sales.
Old 6th January 2012, 02:06   #57
BHPian

In the Mega Thread, prmd_cochin tried to make the front look better.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...d-pics-16.html

But I still prefer a rectangular headlight and grille and feel it will make it look really awesome. Pic1 is modified and Pic 2 is original.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari-strome-2.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-safari-strome-3.jpg  

Last edited by inder_s1 : 6th January 2012 at 02:09.
inder_s1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 02:22   #58
BHPian

Again Tata guys have managed to make a good ad for the safari storme. I absolutely loved the Ad. However, as many agree, they should have kept the spare wheel on the tail gate. The rest of the new gen safari looks fine as it is.

Link to New Storme Ad
himavanth_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 03:17   #59
Team-BHP Support

So what happens when you leave a glass of milk unattended and out on the table for too long? It will get spoiled.

Presenting the Safari Storme.

It's your curdled glass of milk.

I am a huge fan of the Safari. But not this one, sadly.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 05:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

To me this looks pure awesome, thanks for the report GTO. Now i need to wait for the official test drive. Loved the headlamps, the fit and finish, and the stance. The best part is the rear AC vent which gels well with the interiors and not like an eyesore.

Awaiting pricing details.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed