Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 07:36   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

GTO Awesome JOB!!

Come on guys, stop cribbing. The safari just looks way better than the current one, agree with GTO its now more of a please all SUV rather than a exclusive group love.

I love the look. .period. The front end treatment is very nice and feels more adapt with the whole package, and the back end treatment is so good i don't miss the rear wheel.

We are Guys, sorry enthusiastic Guys who are not satisfied with anything. But guys TATA have done a great Job. and the Quality looks a lot better.

I am now only waiting for GTO's 5Star test Drive.

And mind you the ADV is awesome.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

This is a much better update for the safari. Hope they have improved the quality.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

The chrome strip at the front .. isn't it going to blind oncoming traffic ?

that apart, I am sure that there is a lot that is different in this Safari than the past one. Basically the change from past would be related to suspension, new chassis alignment and the resulting difference in handling. They would have spent a bucket on these changes and way overshot budget thus keeping to cost targets by persevering with the same old 'tried & tested' body panels.

the way the front end is squat and hugs the ground suggests that this is a way better handling machine than your avg scorp. The XUV obtained similar handling only after sharp weight reduction and eliminating ladder frame chassis altogether.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:13   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is the rear step motorised? Otherwise, it would need someone to manually put it back, once people have climbed into the rear.
No idea. We tried to put it back but could not. So it stays like this only. A mini nudge bar for rear
Old 6th January 2012, 08:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

There are a few good elements in the new Storme. The front and rear look clean, if not super. Interiors are an improvement as well. That said, this has to be the disappointment of the Expo so far. Fine, if it was a routine update on the Safari, the Storme would have served the purpose.

But this car is built on the excellent Aria platform. What was Tata thinking when they stuck that front end on what otherwise remains a 15 year old design?! Almost like a washed up Hollywood actress with a face lift gone bad. The XUV 500 is a step forward for M&M, the Storme on the other hand is a couple of steps in the opposite direction.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Understated!! Its no more the Safari I liked
Tata's worked hard to make it look like a box!

IMO, Safari + Matt finish cladding + New bumpers matching the curvy body + these new interiors could have looked much better.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:25   #67
BHPian

Superb Pics! I liked the Storme , front, rear & interior job on the Safari is really a commendable work by TATA Motors, though I think if the side profile would have been refreshed then it would have been a 100% awesome thing...lets hope it pricing to be competitive w.r.t. M&M XUV 5OO and its own family member Aria.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:34   #68
BHPian

I personally feel its high time TATA "Reclaims Your Life".

The tata Sumo Grande sibling looks has just killed the Lion looks of the Curent Safari.

As Ratan Tata said about Nano "I don't consider it to be a flop. I consider that we have wasted an early opportunity", the same implies to Safari storm. you have wasted all the opportunities and time.

A big let down. I Hope this will replace the VX varient and above, Then I could only afford the current LX.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:38   #69
BHPian

Disappointing exterior;; expect continued demand for the Safari Classic just because of its looks!, having said that interiors are seemingly much better and a step in the right direction.
Old 6th January 2012, 08:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
In the Mega Thread, prmd_cochin tried to make the front look better.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...d-pics-16.html

But I still prefer a rectangular headlight and grille and feel it will make it look really awesome. Pic1 is modified and Pic 2 is original.
This does look very good, very land roverish. Thanks for the rendering
Old 6th January 2012, 08:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

I dint like the Storme one bit.

The earlier masculine look of the Safari is lost. The dash looks as if its borrowed from a hatch. Feature list does not look to be good either. Rear AC vents are bad & jump seats is worse.

Single DIN HU???

I hope they price it at par with the Scorpio or else it is doomed, if they try to compete this with the XUV. Even when priced at par with the Scorpio, I am not sure whether it will sell in decent numbers. Scorpio still has more features & a better engine. Apart from Safari fans, the others trust Scorpio more than Safari. Whatever changes have happened under the skin, to a layman, this is just a facelifted Safari.

Also, with the kind of serious issues cropping up in the Aria (on which the Storme is based, reportedly) mentioned here (Tata Aria Pride - Zero Pride in Ownership), I pray that the Storme turns out to be decently reliable.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the pictures, and interiors, just one question pops to mind.

"Is this the best TATA could do after redesigning something for so long"?

Yawn. This Vehicle looks like its from 1990s.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
In the Mega Thread, prmd_cochin tried to make the front look better.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/auto-e...d-pics-16.html

But I still prefer a rectangular headlight and grille and feel it will make it look really awesome. Pic1 is modified and Pic 2 is original.
From these pics i personally feel that the handling is improved a lot.

Regarding looks, frankly no one cares as long as they get the pricing right, remember Xuv 500, people who called it with what not names the night it was launched, became the fans of the same Xuv500 once the pricing was announced.

If they price it around 13L for the top end competing with Scorpio, then there are chances on this seeing this some numbers, anything beyond 13L, it has to compete with XUV too...!!
Old 6th January 2012, 09:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

My dream car has now turned sour. What was Tata's thinking with tit bit facelift. The front frill looks horrible, the spare tyre is off, the rera lamp cluster looks small sized, no 2 din HU.

Any particular reason why they named it Storme

Good observation @Swiftnfurious, it looks like the cap has fallen off.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:10   #75
BHPian

Overall, Storme looks a good, finished product interms of its quality from the pics and the fit & finish.

Couple of things I noticed.
1) Many discussed about the blower or roof vent holes comparing with the existing Safari. I see that there is a new "Rear AC" button in centre console. So, the roof vent holes are real AC vents, but not simply the blower.

2) Whats the 2 lights in ECON button ?

3) Though the HU face plate design/fitment seems a dirty patch for not getting bothered with the GEAR stick, the way the designers worked it out is like "Innovative" dirty fix I like that.

4) If we see the whole black box containing AC controls and HU, looks to me like a place holder for integrated MID with a touch screen, ACC, CD/DVD receiver, etc ... May be, the plan is already ON for Storme V2 in an year or 2 that would just get replaced with one integrated unit in place of existing black box. I am guessing this just from the look, size and layout of the black box.

5) Someone raised a concern whether the chrome strip might would be a problem for upcoming traffic. If thats the case, there will be a whole lot of complaints against the current Safari, and rich in Chrome grill LC PRADO, "face-lifted" Fortuner, etc ...

6) The Dual colours in rear [in White] looks good and to an extent, it takes away the spare wheel dream [to me, at least].

7) Interior colour is similar [or same] as that of pre-2010 colour [primarily beige] and I think, this is where many are comparing with the GRANDE MKII. From the look of it, the quality is just a real dashing and am sure, TML would have picked up a lot from ARIA.

8) Whats the "OverDrive" in gearbox specification [mentioned in the AD] ? I never heard of it in a manual transmission.

Again, overall, its a good upgrade as long as the drive is improved as claimed and I believe, power output [performance] will also be better as compared to the Safari since Storme may weigh less.

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 6th January 2012 at 09:14.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed