Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 12:45   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012

The strome has definitely struck a chord with me, why? Its not overdone!!
IMHO
XUV - Ostentatious yet New
Storme - Classic yet elegant

Overall not too curvy and bold! Loved the music and performance before the unveiling of storme.

A piece of info by the senior guys from TML - the existing Safari would continue to sell alongside storme!

Aria A/T with captain and refreshed interiors concept looked amazing!! Why could nt this have happened an year back!!
Old 6th January 2012, 12:52   #107
BHPian

Didnt quite like the looks as compared to Earlier Safari. Interiors even in photos seems to have huge scope of improvement. They have killed the rugged looks of Safari
Old 6th January 2012, 12:57   #108
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when the market launch would happen?
If the existing Safari continues then how will the Storme be positioned?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:05   #109
BHPian

It still looks too narrow and tall and has an overall odd look to it. After so many years of dragging the Safari, all Tata has done is give it a facelift with some new interiors. Considering the technology they now have access to with JLR under their wing I was expecting a lot more out of the new Safari. Very disappointing Tata. Give me the XUV500 anyday!
Old 6th January 2012, 13:05   #110
BHPian

for the twin exhausts, projector lamps and the interiors.

for the new front and back. What's a Safari without that spare wheel on the rear!!

Looks wise, the earlier Safari was far better.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:07   #111
Senior - BHPian

The new look Safari takes away some of the attitude of the old design, and it's highly subjective. While looking at the turn indicators integrated in the front bumper of the 'done-up' Safari, I remembered the turn indicators of my M800. Aren't they similar?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:16   #112

Just when I thought there was no way to make the Safari any worse looking (apologies to the lovely folks who own Safaris, this is just my opinion) TATA pull out this bad boy! I don't find the exteriors appealing at all. Infact they are really fugly. Where the Hyundais of this world are growing leaps and bounds in their design philosophy, TATA seems to be stuck in an era all their own, where even Mahindra has shown progress with the Xuv!
Old 6th January 2012, 13:18   #113
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is new about the interiors which is a significant improvement over the current Safari, and not just change for change's sake?

The bump on the roof AC is still the same - only covered with fabric.

The dash is nothing radically different - neither is it better in any significant way. Oh yes, the deck is placed so that one can get CDs out in 3rd gear - after 15 years (jeez!). Not to mention 1990s level of equipment/gadgetry (can't help commenting on that - kids love gadgets and other cool "features"!).

The seat cover fabric "may" be of better quality and stitching (can't say till we actually see and feel it in the flesh. Nothing most Safari guys don't or can't do after market anyways. Ditto for door panels etc. Btw, beige for an SUV is really not cool.

And the 3rd row is still not front facing. And there has been some talk of the middle row having been re-designed. God forbid but that's the last traditional Safari plus - and looking at TATA's treatment of the other plus, its looks, I would not be surprised if that's somehow degraded as well.

So what exactly is the "better interiors" that we keep hearing and reading about?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:19   #114
Senior - BHPian

Only if they can give that OFF-Road version as standard here in India as a variant. That would be mouth-watering.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:29   #115
BHPian

Please can someone clarify if Tata Safari Storme is same as Merlin? Or is Merlin the internal code name and Storme the final release product name?

Last edited by smopuri : 6th January 2012 at 13:31. Reason: typo fixed
Old 6th January 2012, 13:54   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The new look Safari takes away some of the attitude of the old design, and it's highly subjective. While looking at the turn indicators integrated in the front bumper of the 'done-up' Safari, I remembered the turn indicators of my M800. Aren't they similar?
Before concluding your comparison, please make sure you are not confused b/w turn lights and fog lights.
The one that Safari and Storme has on its front bumper is "fog" lights, not the turn lights.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:55   #117
BHPian

As soon as i saw the pictures of the interior, this is the first thing that came to my mind! Shocking to see that it could be such a straight design lift from Jaguar and nobody noticed!
It could just be that the design chief working for TATA was given an XK for the weekend and the new safari exterior is what he came up with.

Having said that, the exterior does seem a bit too toned down however it is tastefully done indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-jag-xk-interior.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Auto Expo 2012-jag-xkr-interior.jpg  

Old 6th January 2012, 13:56   #118
BHPian

My views on Storme from a perspective of the current 2.2 dicor owner:

1. Looks:
Tata should have used either revolutionary design approach (like XUV, ANHC, etc.) giving us all new looks; or the evolutionary approach (like LR Range Rovers, Porsche 911, etc.). Since, they had an already great and timeless looking design in Safari, they should have stuck to it. Looks always has been the USP of safari, which no longer is the case. What they have given is an half heart attempt. To me the best looking safaris till date are the original TCICs and 3.0 Dicors.
2. Interiors:
A. Design and form is subjective, but, from the pics and videos, interiors seem to have taken a huge leap in terms of fit and finish, quality of materials, which is definitely welcome. I hope they have succeeded in making safari rattle free now (one of my significant complaints about current safari).
B. I own current GX variant and i (along with my friends) totally love the interior colors used on it (dark grey, orange, blue background lighting for instrument cluster) except for the faux wood (brushed aluminum or carbon fiber finish would have been better). I hope tata offers this combo in some of the variants.
3. Mechanicals:
A. Tata should have used Montero like spare wheel arrangement instead of removing it from behind.
B. Engine and gear box seem to have improved a lot which is great. Have to take a TD to confirm it.

Big question: In case if i wasn't a current owner of Safari would have i bought Storme?
Answer: No. Today i would have bought XUV, but, only because they have spoilt the looks of safari. If they hadn't i would have surely chosen it above XUV.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:58   #119
BHPian

Then it was "Armada Grand" which inspired "TATA Grande", now "Bolero Storm" inspires the "Safari Storme" name . . . What were the guys at TATA thinking ? They could have left it at Safari. Next " NANO 600" ? ? ?
Old 6th January 2012, 13:58   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Before concluding your comparison, please make sure you are not confused b/w turn lights and fog lights.
The one that Safari and Storme has on its front bumper is "fog" lights, not the turn lights.
No Kaviprem.I think he's talking about the 'done-up safari' which is having the arb bumpers which GTO has posted in the first page.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks